PDA

View Full Version : How long does resin stay good?

jibberjive
03-30-2007, 06:30 AM
If I were to buy a 5 gallon bucket to save on cost for multiple projects, but the resin was to sit around for a while between projects, would it go bad in the meantime? What's the shelf life of resin (opened resin at that)?

spoonraker
03-30-2007, 06:41 AM
eleventy billion years

I have no idea

phyphoestilic
03-30-2007, 07:16 AM
eleventy billion years

I have no idea

way to not help, u ***.

Most resins last at least 6-12 months if properly sealed after use., some can go up to 2 years. It really depends on the way the manufactuor made it. Contact whoever ur gonna order the product from (if its not the company that makes the product u should contact the product manufactuor) and check with them.

ramos
03-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Depends really on what type of resin it is , and how you store it . I have argued this very topic with people for a long time . some say it doesn't have a shelf life , and it will last forever. Some say ( me ) it does have a shelf life. It doesn't really go bad persay . It just get's old . the older it get's the less the chemical curing reaction happens . So you have to add more mekp , and it takes for ever for it to cure . Ever mixed a batch like you always do , and it takes for ever to cure ? Odds are that resin has been sitting on the stores shelf for a while . Polyester seems to have a shorter shelf life than epoxy . :)

nVRuckus
03-30-2007, 10:18 AM
some say 45 days, but if you keep it indoors and cool, I've had resin sit here for 4 months and no problems with it.

jibberjive
03-30-2007, 06:29 PM
So the general consensus is that I shouldn't store it for long periods of time (6 mo. +) , so therefore I should just plan on buying for 1 project at a time if there's no definite time schedule for the next project;)

phyphoestilic
03-30-2007, 06:30 PM
So the general consensus is that I shouldn't store it for long periods of time (6 mo. +) , so therefore I should just plan on buying for 1 project at a time if there's no definite time schedule for the next project;)

well like i said, it depends on what kinda resin u get, just contact the manufactour and ask them how long the shelf life is before u order.

nVRuckus
03-31-2007, 02:05 PM
If you dont plan on using more than say 1 gallon in the next 6 months it really isnt worth buying a 5 gallon bucket regardless of shelf life. I buy by the gallon and probably glass more than you ever will.