View Full Version : JL vs Morel vs Tangband

BLD 25
03-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey, i am going active, and i am pretty set on the mids that i am going to use:

I have read good reviews on them, and they are apparently very good even compared to the reference series, except they are 8 ohm. They begin to break up around 2k.

I am trying to decide on tweets.

I have a pair of JL XR tweets, but my concern are that they are aluminum, and they have a high crossover point --4000hz.

Other two that i am looking at are:

1) Low end morels:

2)higher end tang band:

both of these tweets have a much lower FS and xover point. Both can be crossed over at around 2k, and both are silk, which i think is more that i am looking for. I just know that JL is the big name and that is what people like, so i wanted some opinions. I could probably sell the JL's if i didn't use them.

The crossover i will be using is a DHD ntx-6211

03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I have a pair of the DA175's sitting right here, and they actually are not a bad driver for the money.

Seas, and Vifa make some tweets with low FS

You may want to have a look at www.zaphaudio.com and look into the tweeter mishmash.

BLD 25
03-29-2007, 10:45 PM
well, mounting area is an issue, and both of these have a fairly conservative mouting area. So the 7's are pretty good?

03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Seas Neo is pretty much a staple tweeter now. Unless you're feeling adventurous and want to try either of the other two, then you can't go wrong with the Seas.

They come in either silk or aluminum. They will extend lower than either of the other two and therefore mate up to that Dayton driver a bit better.

03-30-2007, 10:59 AM

The two car tweets on that page have been popular in DIY sets for awhile as well.

Same with this one:

BLD 25
03-30-2007, 11:48 AM
is there something wrong with the two that i am looking at? They are cheaper, and have a lower F/s.

03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
You said that mounting space was limited so I would rule out the Tangbands based on that. Morel is always a nice choice.

Just throwing out a few more suggestions, that's all.

03-30-2007, 02:55 PM
If you were really cheap you could give the new Aura a shot.

However, like the LPG's you need to cross them a bit higher.

BLD 25
03-30-2007, 04:20 PM
thanks for all the opinions