PDA

View Full Version : Best Speakers Now-A-Days...

betitbig
03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok, back in the day it was all about Dynaudio and Morel.

Now what are the high end speakers that everyone has to have?

btlking
03-29-2007, 03:41 PM
rainbows are always good

One Bad MOFO
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
dd for me

jmanpc
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
The Squeaksters.

PatFitz9
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say Dynaaudio or Morel are no longer good... but everyone is gay for the SLCs (including me)

PremierAudio
03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Dyn, DLS, Morel, Hertz, Rainbow, Focal, Vifa, There all pretty much the top and you cannot go wrong with whatever suits you the best. How much are you looking to spend, and what are you looking for in the speakers?

Hebrew Hammer
03-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry but it takes the plat line or higher to equal morel or dyns quality.....

flakko
03-30-2007, 01:16 AM
^^^ ooh thems fightin' words right there.

Audiomagnum300
03-30-2007, 02:36 AM
If you are looking for the best, check out AVI......you will not be disappointed.....

BlackMaxima
03-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Ok, back in the day it was all about Dynaudio and Morel.

Now what are the high end speakers that everyone has to have?

not this crap again

search

search

search

BTW. search

did i say search??

pcoastsurf
03-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Nobody asked you to read it . Did they?

not this crap again

search

search

search

BTW. search

did i say search??

Hebrew Hammer
03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
^^^ ooh thems fightin' words right there.

i've owned all of them so I'd know :naughty:

Towncar
03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
i've owned all of them so I'd know :naughty:

Change of subject.. Hebrew, have you auditioned the pg rsd subs yet?

Hebrew Hammer
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Change of subject.. Hebrew, have you auditioned the pg rsd subs yet?

to be honest no..the last pg speakers I owned/tested were the ones made by morel....

the last sub I auditioned is the Aura 18 in my car.....I've been slacking :suicide:

Towncar
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM
to be honest no..the last pg speakers I owned/tested were the ones made by morel....

the last sub I auditioned is the Aura 18 in my car.....I've been slacking :suicide:

I suggest you test both the speakers and the subs. You might be suprised a bit :)

Audio Junkies
03-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Which model, and what did you think?

Hebrew Hammer
03-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Which model, and what did you think?

the NS18-992-4A...I love it ....free air...very musical..VERY.....and gets the effortless low end extension I wanted.... and can get stupid loud if I didn't tune it down majorly

WhoSayWho?
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm sorry but it takes the plat line or higher to equal morel or dyns quality.....

So do I understand you to be saying that entry level morels or dyns or better than say Rainbow Germs?

Another question, close to the first but not quite, are you saying that Plats just equal Morel and Dyns entry level comps?

Flipx99
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I would say the entry level Morel would be equivalent to a higher end Rainbow. Those Supremos are pretty nice, but I think the midwoofer is a 6" rather than a traditional 6.5"

Hebrew Hammer
03-30-2007, 06:05 PM
So do I understand you to be saying that entry level morels or dyns or better than say Rainbow Germs?

Another question, close to the first but not quite, are you saying that Plats just equal Morel and Dyns entry level comps?

when I say morel...I mean elates...there isn't any entry dyns...

the plats are on par with morel and dyns and the refs are slightly better than both...

BlackMaxima
03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Nobody asked you to read it . Did they?

STFU NOOB

BlackMaxima
03-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I would say the entry level Morel would be equivalent to a higher end Rainbow.

Am i reading that right??

your saying, Morel Tempo 6 is equivalent to Power Line CS??

purerx7tt
03-30-2007, 09:15 PM
when I say morel...I mean elates...there isn't any entry dyns...

the plats are on par with morel and dyns and the refs are slightly better than both...

their are different models of dyns though,
System 240gt
System 240MKII
and System 240 ESOTAR

and IMO the profi line is on par if not better than the 240mkII , now esotar is a whole different story but tweeters are harder to implement. I have heard all of the dyn's and would say the esotars are better than the plats, although i have no experience with the rainbow refs. Morel was too laid back for me and i would take the profis/plats any day of the week but thats my IMO. But i would do anything to get my hand on a set of genesis absolutes:naughty:

mvw2
03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
To keep this along the original lines of the thread, I pick Seas and Scanspeak. They just make some god-like stuff. Seas has both home audio and Lotus automotive like and Scanspeak offers 4 ohm options for car use, even used by Alpine in their F#1 sets. Neither is remotely cheap though. A single pair of woofers or tweeters will run you $300 to $400 for Seas' Excel/Reference(Lotus) or Scanspeak's Revolator drivers. I personally run Seas Excel woofers and Scanspeak Revolator tweet(ala Alpine F#1).

I've got the RSD sub. You can throw it in a small sealed box and it will hit deep. It's a bit peaky, really geared between 40Hz and 80Hz, plays strong within this range, but rolls off considerably both above and below. It's a good, fun sub. It's not tremendously efficient but can take a ton of power. The poly cone seems to create a thick, heavy presence. There's detail, but it's not as crisp and precise as an aluminum cone. I have since thrown in a Dayton Reference HF 12" and favor it a good bit better. I just like the airy, crisp sound and the very flat frequency range makes it so easy to work with, just personal taste/preference really. The PG is a little beast. It's an affordable, solid performer geared right for the subwoofer range. Cross it at about 60Hz-80Hz and let it pound away. The ability to work in a small, sealed enclosure and actually play deep with authority is a definate plus. The soft poly cone just doesn't quite offer the sound quality some may be looking for, and the peaky nature makes it somewhat hard to cross at higher frequencies(+80Hz).

Towncar
03-31-2007, 12:27 AM
To keep this along the original lines of the thread, I pick Seas and Scanspeak. They just make some god-like stuff. Seas has both home audio and Lotus automotive like and Scanspeak offers 4 ohm options for car use, even used by Alpine in their F#1 sets. Neither is remotely cheap though. A single pair of woofers or tweeters will run you $300 to $400 for Seas' Excel/Reference(Lotus) or Scanspeak's Revolator drivers. I personally run Seas Excel woofers and Scanspeak Revolator tweet(ala Alpine F#1).

I've got the RSD sub. You can throw it in a small sealed box and it will hit deep. It's a bit peaky, really geared between 40Hz and 80Hz, plays strong within this range, but rolls off considerably both above and below. It's a good, fun sub. It's not tremendously efficient but can take a ton of power. The poly cone seems to create a thick, heavy presence. There's detail, but it's not as crisp and precise as an aluminum cone. I have since thrown in a Dayton Reference HF 12" and favor it a good bit better. I just like the airy, crisp sound and the very flat frequency range makes it so easy to work with, just personal taste/preference really. The PG is a little beast. It's an affordable, solid performer geared right for the subwoofer range. Cross it at about 60Hz-80Hz and let it pound away. The ability to work in a small, sealed enclosure and actually play deep with authority is a definate plus. The soft poly cone just doesn't quite offer the sound quality some may be looking for, and the peaky nature makes it somewhat hard to cross at higher frequencies(+80Hz).

I havent noticed them to be peaky at all.

pcoastsurf
03-31-2007, 03:13 PM
GFY :suicide:

STFU NOOB

Hintzyboy
03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm confused at why you would want to cross a sub over 80 Hz.

Crown_amps
03-31-2007, 08:23 PM
The Squeaksters.

word:fro:

Frankensuby
03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm confused at why you would want to cross a sub over 80 Hz.

I don't know what you mean, but I run my Xenon from 30-80 Hz at 400 RMS, and the thing sounds clean and hits tremendously hard for a .65 volume sub. I was shocked to get what I did from it.:yumyum:

chucku
03-31-2007, 11:13 PM
He meant above 80 hz, and I agree. I have never gone over 65hz on a sub. I believe the other speakers should do that job, not the SUB.

Hintzyboy
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
He meant above 80 hz, and I agree. I have never gone over 65hz on a sub. I believe the other speakers should do that job, not the SUB.

thanks for clarifying. That is what i meant.

Frankensuby
03-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Gotchya. My setup doesn't sound right at high volumes with the Mids X-overed at 63 hz, and the sub plays flawless to 80 HZ, so thats why mine sits there. Sounds great and amazingly balanced for me.