PDA

View Full Version : Box Build For single 15" Kicker L7 *Pics 56k beware*

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
So im in the process of completing my new system(as some of you know), and I needed a box to make my L7 LOUD. The design I will be using will be the following:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxx.png

5 CF, Ported Tuned to 32hz, Pretty big box for 1 L7!!

Now check this out, I went to lowes to but the 3/4 inch MDF board, Caulk, Wood glue and nails, along with some Sound deadner(real cheap), my friend works at lowes(and I used to a while ago) so he still gets the 10% discount.

5 of the 7 boards I am using came from one piece of MDF for $18 after his discount. The top and bottom boards were much bigger cuts, so they had to be cut with a 2nd board, which was also another $18, which I didnt care because I was getting it cheaper anyways. So I got the cuts down, the guy did like 20 cuts total or something and only charged me for I beleive 8. I got to the cash register and my friend gave his discount card, and the ******* CLERK ONLY SCANNED THE BOARD ONCE. He didnt know it was 2 boards because they were all cut down. So I'm only using about 20-25% of the wood that I bought for this box, and the rest is lying in my trunk, and I got all of this wood for $18!!!!!

THATS A DEAL.

Anyways here is all the wood that I have. If you need any wood and you live locally to silver spring MD, Zip code 20906, let me know and I can sell you some.

Here a pic of all the wood in my trunk.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics1.jpg

Okay now first off Just wanted to show yall if you want to eat a hotdog in a better way, try this out for size, its FReaking GOOD. Soft taco bread, with cheese square and ketchup.(Even my cat wanted some)
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics001.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay now for real here are the pics of the box that I have started making, I probably have about 30% of it done or so.

Glued the first piece together, but first I labeled all the pieces with a marker, and measured them to make sure they would all fit together right. I should have done this at lowes, but I was lazy, and had alot of wood to take home.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics002.jpg

Better Pic of the first piece, this is the first time I have ever even tried to build a box by myself.(besides that other time we wont go there)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics003.jpg

About to add the 2nd piece, just getting it alligned properly.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics004.jpg

Here im using my finger to get the glue inbetween the creases, you can never use too much wood glue, you have to make sure its tight!(then caulk later)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics005.jpg

Here 2 pieces are together now. This is pretty easy I think!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics006.jpg

Heres 3 pieces, without the front part yet. All of that white stuff is excess glue..err

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics007.jpg

Here is the 4th piece, and my port opening as you can see is 4.5 inches(suppost to be 4 but I measured and its going to be a little bigger oh well)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxpics008.jpg

So there you have it. I have started my first box build, and I think its going to end up being a BIG *** box in my small *** civics trunk. I think ill be able to get it through the backdoor, if not Ill be taking out my driver seat, and getting it through the driver door because I know it will fit through there.

How do you guys think im doing? I will post more pics as they come! I shouldbe done within a few days!

Kris

jmanpc
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Are you screwing it together? Straighten up that front piece! :D

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Im going to screw a few areas because the lowes people cut a little off by like .25 of an inch and stuff, couldnt hurt to screw and use MAD caulk

smd4life
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
i would screw everything.....just to be safe.....for peace of mind

jmanpc
03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
i would screw everything.....just to be safe.....for peace of mind

you would. :laugh:

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
hahaha yeah im going to screw it all screw every BIT of it hahahaa

Immacomputer
03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
THATS A DEAL.

No, that's stealing... but whatever.

I'm not liking the "sit the wood together" for a joining method; I hope it actually holds with a chemical bond and not just a physical bond.

Good luck on the rest of the build.

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey its not my fault some idiot at lowes doesnt know his job, who cares if lowes is short a piece of wood, I dont consider this stealing, because I couldnt be "charged" with anything.

Immacomputer
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
No it is still stealing whether you intended to or not. But whatever...

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Okay it is "stealing" but its not like I intended it to happen like I made a scheme where im going to go out the back door, I didnt even realize until after he told me the total, and then I was like hmm??? ohhh he didnt scan it again..

I used to work for the company for about 4 months, and I know pretty much exactly how they run things, I even told a manager that this one employee was stealing every week and he did nothing about it because he didnt want to "make a scene" what kind of **** is that. So then I called LP, and told them everything turns out that manager got fired for not listening to me, pretty funny.

momuzykent
03-29-2007, 02:19 PM
not sure how those joints will hold up, you need some screws or either some clamps!!

Immacomputer
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
You don't need to justify your actions to me -- I honestly don't give a rat's ***.

I'm more interested in your progress!

RollinGTO
03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
lookin good! :D get more pics!!!! :D

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I dont have any clamps...nor know somebody who has them. Screws will go in place to seal the deal.

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
No clamps + no screws = I hope your box stays together.... and the screws need to go in as you're building, not after the glue has all set.

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:34 PM
well Yeah I know I should have used screws to put it together as Im doing it if I didnt have the clamps, but once I glue everthing together once I screw everything theres no way its coming apart, because the screws will hold it

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Screws don't hold a box together, they act as mini clamps while the glue is drying.

Glue holds a box together...

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
well in that case after I glued everything I sat there holding it together to get a good seal, using my force, for a couple of minutes on each board, more time consuming but I dont have any clamps so...

bjfish11
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
You need to start over, and screw the box together as your assembling.

/Thread

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Or keep going and make sure you take a video the first time you fire up the sub :D

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
ooook, I know Im not doing everything "exactly 100% correct way" but Its going to work just fine.

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
No, sorry, it's not.....

bjfish11
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
ooook, I know Im not doing everything "exactly 100% correct way" but Its going to work just fine.

Im not trying to discourage you, but correctly fastening the box together is about 90% of building a box.

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok guys well see about that...I do know that you all are right in saying "I should have used a clamp", but Im going to make sure this box doesnt come apart.

jmanpc
03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I guess time will tell.

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Alright bro, whatever lol

bjfish11
03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok guys well see about that...I do know that you all are right in saying "I should have used a clamp", but Im going to make sure this box doesnt come apart.

We are just trying to help you out, give you a few tips.

But adding screws after the glue has dried will not help.

At least, thats what I have read. Neither Chris or I know very much about building boxes anway.

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah, us = noobs

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
hey you know what guys you guys will know more about audio then I probably ever will, and I definately know that you guys are only trying to help.

Give me a break, I have came a long way in learning about audio and sometimes people have to learn from their own mistakes. I now know next time the more importance of using a clamp, or screwing it together while gluing, but as of now, Id like to try it out and see how it turns out. Thanks for your input, ive always appreciated peoples insight.

bjfish11
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Like I said, I wasnt trying to discourage you, or say, "you ****, your doing it wrong." Just wanted to give you a tip.

We all have to learn from somewhere.

IonSQL
03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I just don't want to see your sub get damaged when the box blows apart :fyi:

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
worst comes to worst I can build another one with the crazy amount of wood I have left...butI really think this will be fine, just would have been better to use clamps, or screws while the glue drys

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 03:04 PM
very true which is why im going to take extreme measures to try and keep this one together lol

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Is this helping any? I bet that powerade weighs 100LBS LOL

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/ahh.jpg

mazdakid
03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
this is going in your backseat?

krisfnbz
03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
no in my trunk...through the rear passenger seats..... when I take them off, I can get just about 17 inches in there... I already measured everything right.

mazdakid
03-29-2007, 10:41 PM
what year civic

jibberjive
03-30-2007, 02:26 AM
I had surprisingly good luck when I had the Lowes that I bought the wood from for my first box make the cuts. I've since acquired a table saw, but had to strap the huge piece of wood to the top of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just curious, how have you all gotten your huge sheet (or two) of MDF home?

baseballer1100
03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Not bad.

mazdakid
03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I had surprisingly good luck when I had the Lowes that I bought the wood from for my first box make the cuts. I've since acquired a table saw, but had to strap the huge piece of wood to the top of a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just curious, how have you all gotten your huge sheet (or two) of MDF home?

i had an 88 cherokee and put a full sheet in there, put it over my head and drove home

Omarvelous
03-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Does some1 live in Peppertree??? :naughty:

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a 1992 civic, and I had them cut all of the extra wood that I was not using into smaller pieces, so not only did the ******* cashier scan all of this wood and only charge me $18(after friends discount), the cool guy who cut the wood for me only charged me for 8 cuts, and he made like at least over 15.

I dont have any saws, I had to borrow a drill from my friend, and I dont have any clamps. So I really didnt have all of the materials needed to construct this box the correct way by either clamping it, or screwing it while the glue sealed, but I think ill be just fine(and learn from this build since it is the first one ive acctually built by myself)

Omarvelous, I live right next to peppertree, cinnamon run acctually... Howd you know?

mazdakid
03-30-2007, 02:07 PM
i had a 95 civic which i think has the same trunk and couldnt get more than 15.5" through. did you cut the rear deck or somethin

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 02:48 PM
i had a 95 civic which i think has the same trunk and couldnt get more than 15.5" through. did you cut the rear deck or somethin

Well the previous 3.8 cf box I had in there for my 2 12's was exactly 15.5 in height, and me and my friend squeezed the box into the trunk(without removing the backseats we didnt realize), and now that im going to remove the backseats, I can just about fit 17 in there.

PV Audio
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Screws don't hold a box together, they act as mini clamps while the glue is drying.

Glue holds a box together...
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

PV Audio
03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
hey you know what guys you guys will know more about audio then I probably ever will, and I definately know that you guys are only trying to help.

Give me a break, I have came a long way in learning about audio and sometimes people have to learn from their own mistakes. I now know next time the more importance of using a clamp, or screwing it together while gluing, but as of now, Id like to try it out and see how it turns out. Thanks for your input, ive always appreciated peoples insight.
Lol bro, no one's raggin you. In fact, it's just the opposite. It isn't your fault, it's just the way that wood glue works. When you fasten two pieces of wood glue together with clamps, it emulsifies the wood fibers together which creates a mechanical bond (after arguing technicalites with helotaxi, I agree that it isn't a chemical bond since no reaction takes place), which is then stronger than the wood being bonded together. You MUST apply force to the joint to allow the wood to go directly into the wood. Otherwise, if it just sits on top, the wood glue simply acts as white glue would. It just sticks the wood together. I don't know what type of pressure acts on the internals of boxes, but I can tell you first hand that it's quite a lot. I will be surprised if that doesn't explode or rattle like a mother****er. Again, the construction itself looks wonderful, but listen to these guys, they know what they're doing. :)

baseballer1100
03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey at least everything lines up....

PV Audio
03-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey at least everything lines up....Yeah, my first box was a work of art. The top piece was short by an inch and the bottom was wide by .75". Sides were cut at angles and the circle would've been more suitable for one of them peg and cube toddler's games. The pic floating around shows about a 100% improvement from what I first built. :laugh:

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I definately have learned my lesson, and on my next box build I will be using clamps and screws...

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Any tips you guys can give me now that ive done pretty much over half of the process? From what I "see" first hand, this box doesnt seem like its sitting on "white glue" it acctually seems that the wood glue has worked, because it is very tight.(But ill guess well find out how tight it acctually is when the sub powers up)

Any tips you guys can give me that could save the box now that im this far?

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Here is where im at now...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/vnnnn001.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/vnnnn002.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/vnnnn003.jpg

After using crazy amounts of wood glue, im going to use crazy amounts of caulk as well on the outside and inside...I glued pretty much anything I could and im going to do the same with the caulk

Lakota
03-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I think you went overboard with the caulk.

You love teh caulk!

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
very true...couldnt hurt right? :p

Omarvelous
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I have a 1992 civic, and I had them cut all of the extra wood that I was not using into smaller pieces, so not only did the ******* cashier scan all of this wood and only charge me $18(after friends discount), the cool guy who cut the wood for me only charged me for 8 cuts, and he made like at least over 15.

I dont have any saws, I had to borrow a drill from my friend, and I dont have any clamps. So I really didnt have all of the materials needed to construct this box the correct way by either clamping it, or screwing it while the glue sealed, but I think ill be just fine(and learn from this build since it is the first one ive acctually built by myself)

Omarvelous, I live right next to peppertree, cinnamon run acctually... Howd you know?

I live in peppertree... I recognize the bricks/slidingdoor/halfassed concrete patio/terrace!

lol!!

Goin to ny tnight, but we could prob meet up if u need a hand or some clamps! lol!

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I live in peppertree... I recognize the bricks/slidingdoor/halfassed concrete patio/terrace!

lol!!

Goin to ny tnight, but we could prob meet up if u need a hand or some clamps! lol!

wow thats kind of funny...yeah ive lived here my own life pretty much/ off and on. Are you going to be living in Ny, or just visiting? Yeah it would be cool to meetup whenever you get a chance.

ssj2xxgotenxx
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/boxpics001.jpg

Look! a cat.

ssj2xxgotenxx
03-30-2007, 04:55 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/boxpics001.jpg
(http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/boxpics001.jpg)

Look! a cat.

PowerNaudio
03-30-2007, 04:57 PM
well one thing you can do to fix the issue you have created, to strengthen the enclosure to the point that it wont break appart, if its going to happen.
is to add a piece of wood, some thing around 1" x 1" square x the length of the panel that is going to be installed on, should be enough, glue and screw the pieces any where two panels of mdf meet. that will strengthen all the panels properly and enough to keep this enclosure together for as long as youre going to be using it.

bracing is also going to be important, specialy on an enclosure that size. so either use some mdf wood going from one panel to the oposing panel or spend some extra cash and use alltread. i would personaly use mdf since its allready available and it works perfectly in this particular application, reason for bracing is to stiffen the walls of the enclosure to the point any flexing they may do it keep to the bare minimum, any time a panel flexes, displaces an amount of air volume with it. as well as color the music its being produced in the enclosure. when the net volume in the enclosure gets displace in a negative form from what the subwoofer is creating it cancels out the output of the subwoofer to certain extent, thus rending the hard work you have put into the enclosure, useless, how much will the flexing opf the panels affects the out put of the enclosure, depends on the size of the panels them selfs. the bigger the panel the more volume of air is going to be displace by it.

other then that, i would add a corner air defflector, in side the port at the corner where air will change direction to help with air turbulance and increase efficiency. you can use some 40grit sand paper and sand out the sharp edges on the port baffle as well as on the port opening, if you have a router use that, with a round over bit. this will help with air turbulance as well.

any ways other then that the enclosure is looking realy good.
keep up the good work and post more pics, keep us updated with any progres.

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 04:57 PM
a very fat one indeed.

Omarvelous
03-30-2007, 05:29 PM
wow thats kind of funny...yeah ive lived here my own life pretty much/ off and on. Are you going to be living in Ny, or just visiting? Yeah it would be cool to meetup whenever you get a chance.

I'm from ny, moved down here June, was here 6months prior the year b4 this also.

krisfnbz
03-30-2007, 05:38 PM
bad timing for me to make this box then huh? lol

krisfnbz
04-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Update as of today, top is still not on, all glue has dried quite well, and caulk has all dried. Caulk on the inside and outside, for maximum seal(I plan on carpeting it anyways). A few screws are in place, but I nailed most of it for now until I can get my hands on a powerdrill by next week. Im going to be putting on the top today with glue and caulk(after the glue dries) and nail the board while the glue sets(because I have no powerdrill) then later on screw.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/boxxbuild002.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/boxxbuild001.jpg

krisfnbz
04-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Heres where Im at now after adding the top and nailed it.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxxbuild11002.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/boxxbuild11001.jpg

Now that its almost near completion, my 2nd build will be much better. I personally think I did a pretty good job for my first build, but I can definately do better(with clamps) and such.

mazdakid
04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
i like your nails

PV Audio
04-01-2007, 06:57 PM
God****it those hotdogs look good. Too bad I'm on a cutting cycle :mad:

krisfnbz
04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
i like your nails

Yeah I nailed this mofo alot, their must be 60 nails in my POS box lol

God****it those hotdogs look good. Too bad I'm on a cutting cycle :mad:

Thats good, Im still young so I eat anything and never gain any weight. :cool:

krisfnbz
04-03-2007, 09:17 PM
So I carpeted the box today, not completely done with it, but roughly 90% done or so... I have to carpet the port...and thats a ******!

How does everyone think I did for my first build?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/sam107.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/sam106.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/sam098-1.jpg

grassroots
04-03-2007, 09:20 PM
are those sony's in a bandpass i see in the corner? eww

box looks good, should have taken the pic from the side where it doesn't show the carpet seam...

Nukedsodapop
04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
haha i used to have a TMNT box like that

k12ug
04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
are those sony's in a bandpass i see in the corner? eww

box looks good, should have taken the pic from the side where it doesn't show the carpet seam...

lol
sony FTW!

EDIT: NITRO!

krisfnbz
04-03-2007, 09:26 PM
sorry guys I just went ahead and fixed all the direct links from photobucket, I decided to organize everything so all links are working now!

Those are Nitro 12's in the bandpass, my old setup. I am now selling to a friend cuz he wants them for a cheap system in his truck, I have learned not to buy cheap stuff anymore!!

PV Audio
04-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Thats good, Im still young so I eat anything and never gain any weight. :cool:
I just turned 18 about a month ago :laugh:

PV Audio
04-03-2007, 09:44 PM
And who's that on the computer :naughty:

Nice rack on her. You hittin it?

RollinGTO
04-03-2007, 09:48 PM

:fro: lawlz!

krisfnbz
04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I just turned 18 about a month ago :laugh:

That ***** man...Im trying to not drink any soda at all this year, Im trying to cut down by at least 80%, thats all I drank growing up, and I cant STAND water.

Thats my girlfriend, and no im waiting to get married until I "hit it" lol.

pitbull12888
04-03-2007, 10:10 PM
That ***** man...Im trying to not drink any soda at all this year, Im trying to cut down by at least 80%, thats all I drank growing up, and I cant STAND water.

ill do honors and give her pratice test before u marry? just so u know what your getting into? lol jk nice box man

krisfnbz
04-03-2007, 10:13 PM
ill do honors and give her pratice test before u marry? just so u know what your getting into? lol jk nice box man

Thanks, trust me the box looks better on the outside than inside, I didnt clamp it at all, and didnt nail most of the sides while the glue was drying, but I think I put enough nails and force on the boards to keep it together, and I also massivly caulked it as well inside and out, along with allllot of glue. I learned alot from building this box, hopefully it will hold up... if not no biggie because my next build will be 100 times better!

jibberjive
04-04-2007, 03:09 AM

Glad to see someone actually not be afraid to say they have different morals than some people (no disrespect to any of those other people with different morals than his either). Some would just act like "yeah I've been waxing her for a while now," even though they haven't.:)

krisfnbz
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Glad to see someone actually not be afraid to say they have different morals than some people (no disrespect to any of those other people with different morals than his either). Some would just act like "yeah I've been waxing her for a while now," even though they haven't.:)

Lol yeah im not affraid to say that Ill probably be a 23-24 year old virgin depending on when we get married... because I know my relationship is 100 times better off that way. I was taught to respect females.

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Here are the finishing pics of making the port and getting the box into the backseat of my car which was a ****** because it was too big, I had to hammer in my trunk and break some pieces off...lol

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007118.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007125.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007124.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007123.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007122.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007121.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007120.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007119.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007090.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007134.jpg

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007135.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007133.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007132.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007131.jpg

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 10:47 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007129.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/Car%20Audio/Car%20Installation/4-2-2007128.jpg

Ku-sama
04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
man.... that thing was a ***** to put in....... and now it STILL doesnt sit right....

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
oh it will my friend, just as soon as hifisoundconnection sends me a WORKING amp this time so I can power up that beast. I cant believe they took a month to ship and it came defective... thats ANNOYING

Immacomputer
04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
This is horrible. I hope you learned a lot from this and I hope you like the sound. Hopefully next time won't be as rough.

Take your time with the sub cutout. You really need patience with a jigsaw and you need to keep it under control.

This was the first L7 cutout I ever did. I did it with a jigsaw and did it free-hand. This jigsaw is a battery powered, 14.4v, ghetto saw that came with a drill for $25. The blade is the default blade as well. The hole did take me a while because I was patient with it:
http://i13.tinypic.com/2rmmkba.jpg

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
that hole looks very nice(yours that is)....when we were makign the hole we didnt really have any patience at all...I just cut the whole smaller... just to make sure we didnt go to big and screw the whole box up... and then we readjusted to make the cut bigger until it fit.

Ku-sama
04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
he has like 600000000000000000000000000 nails..... they got in the way.... plus the screw holes had such LITTLE room..... it was ridiculous on how close they were...

wackdogg
04-09-2007, 12:39 PM
This is pound for pound the worst install that I have ever seen in my entire life. You need to re-do the entire box and do it right....or pay someone to do it right for you. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see that box explode the first time you power it up. Take your time and do it right.

LeofromtheH
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
ouch

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
This is pound for pound the worst install that I have ever seen in my entire life. You need to re-do the entire box and do it right....or pay someone to do it right for you. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that box explode the first time you power it up. Take your time and do it right.

Eh.. id rate myself 3/10, for this being my first build ever...I should have used screws when I constructed it...I wouldn't be surprised if it came apart, but I don't see that happening anytime soon at least.

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Also, im not paying anyone for anything, Id rather DIY and learn on my own. As said to like EVERYBODY who is saying my box ***** etc....dont think for a minute that you have never done anything wrong in your life. You live you LEARN...

you know the word LEARN...Fu*king *********

Flipx99
04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Im not trying to discourage you, but correctly fastening the box together is about 90% of building a box.

I would disagree.

It's about 60% cutting the wood right to begin with
10% having the proper equipment
40% fastening

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
^^ good one

Mr Bojangles
04-09-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm with the other guy in saying you should take video of the box during first attempt. I wanna see this thing

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
^^ I would have had the video already if it wasnt for hifisoundconnection sending me a brand new defective amp, man im pissed

krisfnbz
04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
turns out the amp isnt defective, im going to run a video tomorrow... I listened to it briefly for about 10 seconds today and man does that sub hit hard!

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
hey guys... I fired it up today for the first time....man this sub likes power!!! I will be posting the video shortly...

themommyvan
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
At least if the box comes apart it will be easy to get out of the trunk.

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
^^ very true and I can just make another one!

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh yeah and videos are uploading now

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
heres the 2nd time I powered it up video:

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/?action=view&current=gfgf003.flv

and here is my friends reaction to the subs:

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/krisfnbs/?action=view&current=gfgf004.flv

mazdakid
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
awesome music. should fold down the rear seat

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
yea i should have...

PSturmer
04-10-2007, 10:31 PM
you are only giving the sub like half the amps power in those videos right?

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
yeah it was about half to 3/4 or so..

PSturmer
04-10-2007, 10:44 PM
you must not be getting much excursion because the sub is not broken in. this is my friends sub off a bxi1606d with a stock alternator

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/psturmer/th_L7excursion.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/psturmer/?action=view&current=L7excursion.flv)

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
well its only had maybe 30 mins of playing time.... acctually more like 15

PSturmer
04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
are there more l7's for 205?

Ku-sama
04-10-2007, 10:52 PM
well its only had maybe 30 mins of playing time.... acctually more like 15

I can vouch... when he pushed on the sub in the box it made that new exposure sound... like opening a new textbook...

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Naw the seller I got it on ebay from...he raised his prices to like $230-235 I was like Oh man I should have bought another one!(not like I have space anyways) but I mean $205 for a L7, if I ever wanted to sell this thing I could get that back easy

PSturmer
04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
i am getting rid of my entire system and taking it a couple steps up. if i am going for sql i am doing 4 L7's. 240 a piece would be cheap for them.

krisfnbz
04-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah I know I saw some websites sellin em for liek $450 free shippng... **** that....I wouldnt pay anything over $220 for a new L7... you just have to look everywhere.

LeofromtheH
04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
i wasw selling my L7 for 200 shipped for ****king forever and no one wanted it. just sold it to myjaja on here for 175 shipped. finally got it off my hands.

Ku-sama
04-10-2007, 11:13 PM
i wasw selling my L7 for 200 shipped for ****king forever and no one wanted it. just sold it to myjaja on here for 175 shipped. finally got it off my hands.

:omg::omg::omg:

krisfnbz
04-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Dang man 175 shipped, hell no I would never sell this sub for that. I can easily get 200+ for it locally

viperrgh2
04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I would disagree.

It's about 60% cutting the wood right to begin with
10% having the proper equipment
40% fastening

If you don't have the proper equitment cutting the wood right to begin with is nearly impossible....

krisfnbz
04-12-2007, 04:04 PM
^^you need everything

Immacomputer
04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
If you don't have the proper equitment cutting the wood right to begin with is nearly impossible....

Just because it's necessary doesn't mean that it's extremely important. I've made decent enclosures with very square cuts using a $30 circular saw and 2x4. Having the proper equipment helps but if you take your time and work with what you have, you can do very well with very little. I think having the proper equipment would fall nicely in the 10% range.

I'm glad to see that then enclosure hasn't blown up yet. I guess now it's time to start on a decent one.

krisfnbz
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm glad to see that then enclosure hasn't blown up yet. I guess now it's time to start on a decent one.

Yeah I think I will... It is definately loud...but I want to get louder.

mazdakid
04-12-2007, 10:54 PM
i wouldnt use a 2x4 if your trying to make a straight line

Immacomputer
04-12-2007, 10:57 PM
As long as you check and make sure it's square enough, it can work. It's not going to be as nice as a table saw or using a proper right angle but it can work. It's all in your measuring and your patience.

krisfnbz
04-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree

Wonger
04-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I also use really cheap tools, but they get the job done. I have a $10 jig saw that the bottom wont stay straignt, but I can stay on the line. angled circles ftw.