PDA

View Full Version : HT Sub enclosure questions

hempy
03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Alright, so I'm gathering ideas together to come up with a well thought out HT enclosure for my tc9. I've never built a sub box for inside, and I have a few questions.

Would flared ports or a slot port do better? What about port firing?

What about bracing? I've seen very extensive bracing in ht enclosures and I don't understand if this affects sound/output.

I'd probably like to downfire the box. How far can the driver be from the floor?

Large and tuned low seems to be something everyone can agree on. Is 2x recommended size a good point if using low power compared to rms?

And this one's a littl odd, but it's something I've wondered about for a while... Can MDF be used in conjunction with plywood? I would like to use MDF for internal bracing, and maybe as a second internal layer too.

Volenti
03-29-2007, 05:00 AM
I would use whatever port style you are most comfortable using (assuming similar port area) I find the port positioned close to the floor and firing along the floor----> to work well.

Bracing makes the enclosure stronger and most importantly stiffer, it makes the sound tighter and more accurate.

have the driver ~1/4-1/3 of it's diameter off the floor.

This is something you'll have to sim in a box program, some drivers need a lot more than 2x rec volume to sound good in HT.

There's nothing wrong with combining different building materials, infact it's often deliberatly done that way to lessen harmful enclosure resonances.