PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers

mph86
03-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi, I'm new here and hope you can give me some advice. I just bought some JBL Power Series P953 6x9 3-way speakers for the rear of my car and JBL Power P552 5-1/4 2-way speakers for my front doors. They are currently being shipped to my house so I have not installed them. I will be running these off an Alpine 9885 HU, first should I get an amp, if so any suggestions? Also does anyone have any opinions of these speakers? Thanks for the help.

joelb
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
JBL Power Series are a good set of speakers. By running them off the head unit, you will be okay at like 50% volume, but you might damage them when trying to turn up the volume higher for longer periods of time. An amp will give your speakers plenty of headroom and you will have more control over the movement of the speakers.

General rule of thumb is upgrade factory head unit and speakers to aftermarket. Then get an amp to run the front and rear speakers with a highpass x-over, then add a subwoofer and amp. You can get away with a 5 channel amp that has a dedicated subwoofer output, just dina subwoofer that is efficient, since most 5 channel amps dont have more than 250-400 watts for the sub.... typically... not always the case... Use 4 gauge at a minimum for power and ground... good RCA's.... If it sounds good to you, then that is all that matters...

Check out the General Discussion and read up on general tips and you will learn a lot...

Good Luck... joelb

mph86
03-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks a lot, I'll check out general discussions.