PDA

View Full Version : Sundown 100.4 good for germs?

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:06 PM
I am currently running the px300.4 from jbl to power my germaniums. I am considering running sundown amps and that is the only one that would be sufficient. Are sundown better quality than the jbl? and, is it worth the extra cash id be forking out to run one?

alphakenny1
03-28-2007, 03:12 PM
whats wrong with the jbl? i don't put too much of an emphasis on "sq" of amps. for me, i buy amps on the basis of power, size, configuration of connections, customer support, warranty and aesthetics.

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh nothing is wrong with the JBL, it only makes 13 watts rms more than the sundown would make, the setup I am running will be somewhat of a show quality setup, IE both amps will be visible. I would prefer them to be same brand, but if not same brand, at least same color schemes lol

Twistid
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
sundown > jbl

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Powerwise, might be a tough call since it's a PX series amp. Dunno.

Don't know what your budget is, but how about the Kicker KX850.4 or Alpine PDX-4.150?

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:24 PM
sundown > jbl

thats basically what this thread is about. I want to know if the sundown will be able to produce the sound its rated to produce, if the quality is as good if not better than the jbl (quality of the build) and if the sundown will mate nicely with the germs.

bikinpunk
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
i don't put too much of an emphasis on "sq" of amps.

THANK YOU!

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
the "quality" stated in the first post was not quality as far as SQ, that is determined by the settings of the amp as you all know, the quality was referring to build quality. Its a four channel a/b amp, of course it can make some good sq

Kenny Pollock
03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Sundown Audio is a great company, they stand behind their products, and Jacob is very easy to get a hold of. The quality of all of his amps is top notch, they're **** and work great.

I owned an SAX-100.4 and four SAZ-1500Ds

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Sundown Audio is a great company, they stand behind their products, and Jacob is very easy to get a hold of. The quality of all of his amps is top notch, they're **** and work great.

I owned an SAX-100.4 and four SAZ-1500Ds

and as for the 100.4, did you get it to produce the sound with good quality?

Kenny Pollock
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
and as for the 100.4, did you get it to produce the sound with good quality?I wasn't going for a quality setup at all, but it put out it's rated power for sure... my four mids and highs were loud and I accomplished my purpose. The amp took a beating.

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I wasn't going for a quality setup at all, but it put out it's rated power for sure... my four mids and highs were loud and I accomplished my purpose. The amp took a beating.

good to hear, the jbl makes my germs sound amazing. If I do in fact switch, I just want to be able to retain that, and I am sure that any quality amp that I choose, will do that for me.

tukn18s
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I know there are more opinions, everybody has opinions!

slick rick
03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Not sure your purpose of switching amps....have you FULLY deadened the doors, and have you fully tweaked the Germ x-overs?

leonsv
03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
good to hear, the jbl makes my germs sound amazing. If I do in fact switch, I just want to be able to retain that, and I am sure that any quality amp that I choose, will do that for me.

Both are very nice amps in terms of meeting the basic specs needed for accurate signal amplication and build quality. The only reason i think could justify moving from the jbl to sundown are the following:

1. you may like the look of the sundown better

2. the sundown is smaller i think... (space issues)

3. the sundown fits the cosmetic theme of the setup or the car

4. you find sundown's internal xover fit's your needs better than the jbl

well that's about all that i can think of... anyways, good luck

Qbenjamin
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
When people start realizing that amps do their job of AMPLIFYING THE SOUND of your music, the better off they will be. If sundown says X amount of power given X amount of volts then that's what you will get. That does not apply to companies like BOSS, PYRAMID; etc. If you are looking for "SQ" pick the right speakers and HU. This is where the SQ will originate from.

Towncar
03-28-2007, 11:45 PM
The sundown amps are decent, but by all means the jbl is superior in build quality imo , and more power to boot, so why even consider getting rid of it for the sundown? Keep what you have, unless you are just dead set on cosmetics here.

tukn18s
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
oh no no I love the looks of the JBL, i made this thread to ask, and you gave me the most straight forward answer. I didnt know anything about sundown, but, a lot of people seem to love it on here. I will probably be purchasing the bpx1100.1 or the 500.1 I dont know yet.

T3mpest
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
oh no no I love the looks of the JBL, i made this thread to ask, and you gave me the most straight forward answer. I didnt know anything about sundown, but, a lot of people seem to love it on here. I will probably be purchasing the bpx1100.1 or the 500.1 I dont know yet.

If both companies have amps that give you enough power for your full setup, no reason to switch.

tukn18s
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
the only reason I contemplated running the sundown is becasue it looked good, and made the power at 2 ohms that I wanted, Sure I can buy the 1100.1 and leave the ole gains left down, but thats too pricey for now. the 500 claims to make like 700 watts or something like that, so we'll give it a shot, whenever I find one, there are none on ebay right now. imagine that.