PDA

View Full Version : Pics of future box-idea's/suggestions/comments?

traksta15
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2764/boxyk4.png
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3656/box1qk3.png

It's for an L7 8, powered by an orion 1200d @ 4 ohms (425 rms), specs will be 1 ft^3 @ 38-42hz tuning, not completely sure yet. Im wanting to do a vinyl design on the top just to spice it up, but haven't really decided on anything yet. Suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated (remember it's still a work in progress)

p.s. There's not a port in the drawing because I still haven't decided on whether to port down, forward or back-what should I do?

req
03-28-2007, 01:54 PM
neat?

what car is it going into?

i dont know about the rounded corners on the top side there... but it looks like fun. ive never done a downfiring box, so i dont know where would be best to port it eaither.

im not sure about the curves, but it looks like a cool project. here is some eye candy for reference.

http://www.caraudio.com/gallery/4/8/4/3/p1010018-med.jpg

traksta15
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention-it's a console box for a 97 chevy ex. cab-That's a nice box, that looks sweet.

Trixter
03-28-2007, 02:17 PM
by the look of the pic you won't be able to keep the diameter of the port consistant as you go around the curve....or are thoses cup holders??

traksta15
03-28-2007, 02:40 PM
yeah those are cup holders, that's gonna be just an extension of the top piece that comes out. That piece under the cup holders in the 2nd pic that's curved won't be there, I just forgot to take it out of the pic, sorry.

should I port up, down, forward or back?

jibberjive
03-30-2007, 05:44 AM
I have no personal experience with port firing directions in trucks, but it's never a bad thing to put the port on the same face as the sub

traksta15
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Same here, i was just looking for some more insight-i pm'd polecat about my tuning and he suggested 1 ft^3 @ 42-sound right? i mainly listen to rock and rap but 42? seems a bit high, what would i gain/lose if i went to a lower tuning like 35ish?

btlking
03-30-2007, 01:09 PM
looks good im doing a box right now that im going to do subs and ports downfiring i really hope it doesnt sound like ***

PatFitz9
03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
have you ever tried to put a cup on top of a subwoofer box? i would rethink that idea :P

traksta15
03-30-2007, 01:23 PM
have you ever tried to put a cup on top of a subwoofer box? i would rethink that idea :P

That's true, I thought about that but don't know why I neglected it, lol. Any suggestions???

btlking
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM

+ wouldnt the moisture from the beverage leak onto the box causing the wood to go to ****

traksta15
03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
+ wouldnt the moisture from the beverage leak onto the box causing the wood to go to ****

I shouldn't have the moisture problem, im taking the cupholders from a 99+ chevy (plastic "pocket" w/2 cup holders and a change/phone pocket) and cutting out it's shape. Any insight on the vibrating box problem? I really want some cupholders.

PV Audio
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know about car audio, but I could set a drink on my HT subwoofer and at most the liquid would vibrate a bit. Then again, it weighs about 150 lbs and has more bracing than a polio patient, but just the same.

traksta15
03-30-2007, 01:43 PM
the box will be braced, I think I could put a drink on my current box w/no problems

jibberjive
03-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Haha kindof got me thinking about when I tried to fill a waterbottle with carbonated pop and put it on my mountain bike. Yeah, it sprayed all over my legs:suicide: :)

PowerNaudio
03-30-2007, 06:37 PM
if you properly brace your enclosure, and properly fasten it to the floor, it shouldnt be a problem placing anything on top of the enclosure.
as far as what would be the best direction to face the port.
you should just find the best posible fit in the enclosure where there are no physical restrictions of air flow on the inside opening of the port, as well as on the outside opening of the port. you whant to face the port opening away from the litening area. since you dont whant to hear any shuffling sound created by the port and air coming in and out of it. also there are mid frequencies being produced by resonance inside the enclosure which excape trough the port opening. you dont want them going directly to the lisening area either. other then that, you just want enough space in between the sub and the floor, to displace the same amount of air the sub can move. that way the space in between the sub and the floor, doesnt become a restriction factor to the sub.

traksta15
03-30-2007, 08:11 PM
it's gonna be lifted about 3 inches off the ground-that enough?

traksta15
03-31-2007, 08:40 AM
bump before i go to my track meet! Thanks again for the replies

Trixter
03-31-2007, 12:51 PM
i built a down firing box for an older model blazer and just used 2x4's along two sides for the rise. the port was square and rear firing. the box took up the entire rear area and was only like 11" tall....pluse the 3.5" from the 2x4. sounded really nice...he had a pair of 12's.

PowerNaudio
03-31-2007, 03:01 PM
i believe to get the cubic feet area needed in front of the sub so there are no restrictions. you have to find the subs XmaX and SD parameters, then multiply the XmaX x 2 x SD, SD= Square Centimeters, Xmax= Millimeters, the result will = Cubic Centimeters, the result of that equation will be enough for the sub to play down fire and the space from the bottom and the subwoofer cone will not be a restriction factor to the subwoofer.