PDA

View Full Version : Help Picking High Quality Component Set

maxazor
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok, so here's the deal. I have a new 2006 Civic Si, new doors pods are going to be created for imaging, but I DON'T have a clue what to buy. I've listened to many great setups, but they are all in showrooms of audio stores and I know that imaging in a store and imaging in a car are COMPLETELY different. I will be running them with a PPI 4125 Competition amp, so they will get PLENTY of power and will be tuned with a Orion DEQ30. My price range is ~$600 -700 and my music prefence ranges from Rap/Emo/Rock/Techno. I love clear highs and vocals. I also have 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects they will be paired with for bass.

Some past sets that I have owned are CDT 3 ways, Focal V3's (loved them), and MB Quart PSD 316's . Again I'm looking for purely SQ. Please PLEASE help me pick a quality set of 6.5" components and I'll be in your debt.

Some sets that I already looked into and thinking of buying:
Focal KP165
Rainbow Gernaniums

Josh

ENDER_XVICM
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Check out rainbows Profi-Cross line. Not sure on the price of those yet tho. Not even sure how easy they will be to get.

Also (guys correct me if im wrong) , profi Vandium (metal tweeter), and profi (silk tweeter). The Cross line is Vandium mids and profi tweters.

those components should be in your price range if you find the right seller. talk to 6spdcoupe. He hooked me up real nice.

CobaltKicker
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
....CDT Audios Componenet Sets, or Kicker Components

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Rainbow Germs or Polk SR6500s

maxazor
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the input so far, I'm going to stay clear of the CDTs I was not a very big fan of them when they were in my Maxima. I never thought of Polk Audio, I will check out those Polk SR6500s. Any thoughts on the Focals?

purerx7tt
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
if your willing to up your price a little bit, i have some AMAZING active rainbow platinums for sale, barely used retail is over $1400. You wont find anything better at that price point IMO.

xtremebassjunky
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
best components I have heard were zapco reds....
very very nice...

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I myself am planning on upgrading from my SPX's to the K3P's for better imaging. .. midrange and tweet on the pillars and mid bass on the door.

Pics when you do it! X's mellow midbass getting to you?

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
haha exactly! the SPX's are very very clear and they sound amazing with my doors deadened but they are too mellow for me. I Miss the sound of my RE RE's that I had, not as high on the SQ but I loved the highs and mids.

Have you looked at the Germanium CS465.25 (http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=17&art=231539) yet?

And I agree with you Cali, the K2P's are very bright, so I wouldn't recommend them to hardly anyone.

leonsv
03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
call mobilesq and ask them about the seas reference set. the price on the site is the advertised prices so i'm sure they'll give you a really great deal. imo, they are one of the best component sets on the market right now.

however, if you are looking for a lot of performance for a lower price, look into running active.

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
No i havent seen those. . . how are they oriented? hows the midbass? Do they get louder than the SPX's?

It's a dual midbass 2-way setup, so I can imagine the midbass performance will admirably surpass that of the SPX set. Hit up 6spcoupe or premieraudio and ask... I'm sure either will be more than willing to divulge their honest observations about them.

[edit]
Just thought of something.... If the 465's are biampable like the 265's are, then those xovers have to be effing HUGE!

envengineer
03-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Set some ground rules here.

2 way or 3 way?

Active or Passive?

What size tweeters (large or small format)?

What size dedicated mids (if 3-way)?

What size midbass?

Where are you putting the tweeters?

Tweeters on axis or off axis?

maxazor
03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
2 way or 3 way?

2 Way, unless QLogic gets there A$$ in gear and make some kick panels for my car.

Active or Passive?
Active, See Orion DEQ30

What size tweeters (large or small format)?

1" Silk or Metal doesn't matter

What size dedicated mids (if 3-way)?

N/A see QLogic getting there A$$ in gear

What size midbass?

6.5"

Where are you putting the tweeters?

Tweeters will either go in the stock location, front corner of dash, or will be custom mounted in the door.

Tweeters on axis or off axis?
I'm a newbie when it comes to this question.
Since everything is going to be staged, I'm going to get "on Axis???"

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm a newbie when it comes to this question.
Since everything is going to be staged, I'm going to get "on Axis???"

I'll help you out here...

On/Off Axis can mean two things:

ON AXIS
1. The tweeters point in the same direction as the mids (usually what others mean when using this term), or
2. The tweeters point right at or are aimed almost directly at your ears

OFF AXIS
1. The tweeters do not point in the same direction as the mids, or
2. The tweeters do not point right at your ears

Same definitions applies to mids.

maxazor
03-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Again I guess it will depend on the application, since it will be a SQ application and the doors are going to be remolded and staged I'm going to assume I was right with "ON AXIS"

maxazor
03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Also I'm about ready to pick 3 sets of "the best of" speakers and just flip a coin. :(

Flipx99
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
You might as well

I got Rainbows but from different sets to meet my needs.

I wanted strong midbass so I went with the profi-kick
I wanted good off-axis response and driver-like mounting so I went with the cal27.

Hintzyboy
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't have any experience with them, but woofersetc.com quoted me like $400 something for a set of RE XXX comps. Might try a DIY set if you're goinf active (Scanspeak Revelators anyone?)

envengineer
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Alright, since you are doing an active two way I think you can do way better than anything already mentioned here by using raw drivers (aka DIY drivers) if you are willing.

PM me if you are willing to go that route and I'll try to help you out.

Hintzyboy
03-28-2007, 05:13 PM
ScanSpeak Revelators: $205 each http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=5760488.4484&pid=1165

leaves you with $200-$300 for a nice set of tweeters.

envengineer
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I think you could probably find easier to use drivers than the revelators at a better price, but if you are interested in them, here is a site where they are $200 a piece instead of $205 http://www.timbreaudioonline.com/catalog4.html

Flipx99
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Get the matching scans...630001 or something like that

envengineer
03-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Well if we are going to start tossing out raw drivers. Why not get the SEAS Lotus RT27F from mobilesq.com (they are cheaper than the price on the site, just e-mail them or PM me and I can tell you), and the matching RW165 woofer (also cheaper than list). Then you'd have the new Lotus Reference set without paying the high price for the full component set with crossovers.

Plus the lotus drivers are built for car applications, which is rare in raw drivers. They are 4 ohm and treated to be relatively weather resistant (as in they won't die at the first sign of moisture, but they sure as hell aren't waterproof).

3.5Max6spd
03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
If you dug the Focals and used the Q's, I'd suggest the Rainbow Vanadiums- you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Echo42987
03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Have you looked at the Germanium CS465.25 (http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/details.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=17&art=231539) yet?

And I agree with you Cali, the K2P's are very bright, so I wouldn't recommend them to hardly anyone.

HAHAH right

If you want good sound quality go with the Focal K2P's. Of the speakers I've own I favor these the most.

Other ones i've owned and liked are:
Boston Acoustics Z6
Polk Audio SR6500
JL Audio ZR
MB Quart QSD
CDT Euros

Of them all I've liked my Focals the most so I don't know what there talking about?

-Nick-

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
HAHAH right

If you want good sound quality go with the Focal K2P's. Of the speakers I've own I favor these the most.

HAHAHA yeah, that's your subjective opinion and you have a right to it. Just as it's mine to say they are too **** harsh for my tastes, so I wouldn't recommend them.

3.5Max6spd
03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
HAHAHA yeah, that's your subjective opinion and you have a right to it. Just as it's mine to say they are too **** harsh for my tastes, so I wouldn't recommend them.

I personally find them too fatiguing and not as user friendly out of the box as other sets with hard domes. A lil hyper detailed for me, maybe due to their waveguide and dispersion.