PDA

View Full Version : Update on parents setup.

bigbangtheory
03-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Well, they finally got everything hooked up and running. DIYers baby!

They did it without my help too, lol!

Here is what they gotz!

Onkyo TX-DS898 7.1 surround digital reciever-Something else!
2 JBL Tower speakers consist of 1 4"mid, tweeter and 8"midbass.
1 JBL Center speaker consist of 2 tweeters and 2 4" mids
2 Klipsch surround sound rear speakers, consist of same as center. Pretty big rear speakers.
1 12" JBL powered subwoofer

Have to say, this sounds amazing and I know its not even tweaked right. I did some myself, but still having trouble getting some deep bass out of the 12. I am wondering if I would be better using the amp through the reciever instead of the external amp on the sub? Cause it says its 300rms and 500 peak, but I dont know how accurate JBL HT really is. Could someone share some insight on that, thanks.

Anyway, this beats mine and I have the same setup minus woofer, I have ****** sony 8" and Sony surrounds, but everything else JBL. Man what a difference a good reciever makes. I though my sony was ok, but I am gonna have to get one of these Onkyo's, just dont have 700 bucks for it. :( Everything is so crystal clearrrrrrr!:)

phyphoestilic
03-27-2007, 04:06 AM
all that and no pichers?

1loudsuv
03-27-2007, 06:25 AM
if i remember right allot of people gave you advice you didnt take any of it......

let me give you some more advice which you probably wont listing to again.... but oh well im bored right now hahah jbl ***** for ht subs period... i remember them testing subs in the $500 range and subs that costed $200 outperformed the jbl and the driver itself is weak dont believe me take it out of the box and take some pix and prove me wrong.....

only advice really is you shouldnt of bought it should of got something from svs or a diy sub

about hooking it up to the receiver well if yo uwant to see some majic smoke then go ahead :) lol but it will not be louder with it hooked up to the receiver and if it is just wow on jbl amps.... cause recievers the good ones only put out about 60-70% of their rated power so your most likely seeing about 80 watts out of your receiver

nice receiver but should of got something with hdmi without it your gonna be fudged pretty soon if you want any of the new lossless sound formats which make cd,dvd sound like crap... but those speakers have got to go (well depends how much of an sq person you are), especially the sub.....

btw since b&w will show up let me ask you a question mister b&w what do you think about room treatment? i told my girl and she went nuts LOL i need something that isnt expensive but looks nice :)

oh yah sorry for the thread jack but since ill actually listing i think my question is actually gonna be usefull :p

docutech
03-27-2007, 10:23 AM
aww come on now loud, why dont you tell us how you really feel!:D

I would have to concur with 1loudsuv. I thought my JBL PB10 sounded good untill I did some research. Upon further inspection I found that the cone was made out of paper! :blackeye: It used to be a nice sub.

Oh and yea... Were are the pictures?

Chevyaudio
03-27-2007, 10:26 AM
aww come on now loud, why dont you tell us how you really feel!:D

I would have to concur with 1loudsuv. I thought my JBL PB10 sounded good untill I did some research. Upon further inspection I found that the cone was made out of paper! :blackeye: It used to be a nice sub.

Oh and yea... Were are the pictures?

my MT has a paper cone :eyebrow:

docutech
03-27-2007, 11:57 AM
My condolences...:D

joetama
03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi....

:wave:

:)

JimJ
03-27-2007, 05:32 PM
nice receiver but should of got something with hdmi without it your gonna be fudged pretty soon if you want any of the new lossless sound formats which make cd,dvd sound like crap... but those speakers have got to go (well depends how much of an sq person you are), especially the sub.....

Lawl.

joetama
03-28-2007, 02:52 PM
OK....

Room treatment is usually over rated...

If you have your system setup correctly you shouldn't need too much deadening in the room. However, if you do have a very nasty room for accoustics then go for it.

Just curious what these 'new' lossless sound formats are and when they are comeing out?

Also, I have a lossless format already. It spinds around at 33 1/2 RPM.

1loudsuv
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
OK....

Room treatment is usually over rated...

If you have your system setup correctly you shouldn't need too much deadening in the room. However, if you do have a very nasty room for accoustics then go for it.

Just curious what these 'new' lossless sound formats are and when they are comeing out?

Also, I have a lossless format already. It spinds around at 33 1/2 RPM.

well theirs dts-ma dts-hd (not sure about that one) truhd and lpcm. their is no compression at all they are identical to the masters at the studio. im mostly talking about movie viewing. so without an hdmi receiver your pretty much stiffed. unless both your player and receiver have analog inputs but in the case of the ps3 and other high def player they dont have analog outputs

joetama
03-28-2007, 03:26 PM
True...

But I'm not going to jump on the HD bandwagon for a while...

Mr. C
03-28-2007, 10:31 PM
True...

But I'm not going to jump on the HD bandwagon for a while...

I don't blame you. I feel pretty much the same way.
The product I'm waiting for hasn't been released yet, so I'll continue to wait.

joetama
03-29-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't blame you. I feel pretty much the same way.
The product I'm waiting for hasn't been released yet, so I'll continue to wait.

I'll buy a HD player when Arcam or Classe comes out with one...

SO, I'm going to be waiting a few years if EVER... :laugh:

1loudsuv
03-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I'll buy a HD player when Arcam or Classe comes out with one...

SO, I'm going to be waiting a few years if EVER... :laugh:

meridian or whoever its spelled is coming out with one this year (hd-dvd) :) i hope you have 4 grand though :crazy: ;)

joetama
03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I'll wait for Arcam... :laugh:

bigbangtheory
03-29-2007, 08:46 PM
K never mentioned pictures, but whatever.

I also have to say this out performs my buddys house with his plasma screen Panasonic and all Kliscph subs and surround sound speakers.

I guess I just will tell them to leave it hooked up to the external amp. I dont see why there are some dic's on here. Just was telling how it sounded.

I also dont see how JBL ***** in HT, being they are known for HT. But its cool, hate away I suppose.

Another thing, I guess 1loudsuv thinks he knows all, but that reciever does have HDMI in it *******.

Ahaha, 1 more thing to captian smart *** 1loudsuv, where did all these people give me ideas? I seen most say they like onkyo, besides B&W, then you said you like Denon and couldnt beat Onkyo bang for your buck. So then parents bought Onkyo reciever and I was looking for suggestions on subs and not one person recommded something for me sub wise, so told them to get it bases on amazon's 10 plus reviews. Reading must pwn you.

1loudsuv
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
K never mentioned pictures, but whatever.

I also have to say this out performs my buddys house with his plasma screen Panasonic and all Kliscph subs and surround sound speakers.

I guess I just will tell them to leave it hooked up to the external amp. I dont see why there are some dic's on here. Just was telling how it sounded.

I also dont see how JBL ***** in HT, being they are known for HT. But its cool, hate away I suppose.

Another thing, I guess 1loudsuv thinks he knows all, but that reciever does have HDMI in it *******.

Ahaha, 1 more thing to captian smart *** 1loudsuv, where did all these people give me ideas? I seen most say they like onkyo, besides B&W, then you said you like Denon and couldnt beat Onkyo bang for your buck. So then parents bought Onkyo reciever and I was looking for suggestions on subs and not one person recommded something for me sub wise, so told them to get it bases on amazon's 10 plus reviews. Reading must pwn you.

btw onkyo isnt garbage, i dont know to much about ht but i do know enough not to buy jbl speakers and sub and an obsolete receiver especially their subs. and "pwnd" is your parents after spending $400 on a sub when $100 sub could of done the same job

and you "pwnd" yourself. it has no hdmi...

http://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=TXDS898(E)US%20A.pdf

ps dont be mad at me your sub ***** just tell your parents to return it for a real sub. hey i made the same mistake my subs in my towers aint up to par (not loud enough at 20hertz) so im buying an svs :)

JimJ
03-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't think you can truly participate (or win, at least) in home audio penile measuring contests unless you run seperates...am I right EhRon? :D

1loudsuv
03-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't think you can truly participate (or win, at least) in home audio penile measuring contests unless you run seperates...am I right EhRon? :D

my rotel rmb 1095 should be in any day now :D not in to much of a rush since my bass is lacking to my ears and it would just make things worst...

ballstothewall
03-30-2007, 01:10 AM

I do believe that you are correct sir.

joetama
03-30-2007, 09:15 AM

Very true mister ZJIEM.

Still you need other things too win too... ;)

:smokin:

bigbangtheory
03-31-2007, 11:07 AM
btw onkyo isnt garbage, i dont know to much about ht but i do know enough not to buy jbl speakers and sub and an obsolete receiver especially their subs. and "pwnd" is your parents after spending $400 on a sub when $100 sub could of done the same job

and you "pwnd" yourself. it has no hdmi...

http://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=TXDS898(E)US%20A.pdf

ps dont be mad at me your sub ***** just tell your parents to return it for a real sub. hey i made the same mistake my subs in my towers aint up to par (not loud enough at 20hertz) so im buying an svs :)

Not downloading that, but you dont seem to know much, because my parents had to go buy an extra HDMI cable just for the reciever. :suicide: So go try again!

Also again your not very smart being we got that sub for under 200 dollars at amazon.com. Again:suicide:

Go back to the drawing board slick.

All I know is I have done some more tweaking and for the room size and the equipment that is in there does the trick. Is the cleaniest sounding surround setup I have ever heard and have heard quite a few. I mean they did only spend around 1300 dollars for everything, so not all is lost. I tried talking them into some internet brands like B&W, Rotel velodyne, but they never heard of them, so they wanted to stick mostly name brand. Have to say I enjoy it, so thanks for the people that helped and to 1loudsuv, thanks for your insight as well.:laugh:

req
03-31-2007, 11:13 AM
update = pictures

no pictures = you ****

:needpics:

joetama
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
I tried talking them into some internet brands like B&W, Rotel velodyne, but they never heard of them, so they wanted to stick mostly name brand. Have to say I enjoy it, so thanks for the people that helped and to 1loudsuv, thanks for your insight as well.:laugh:

Uhh... Internet brands? B&W & Rotel can't be sold on the internet. :fyi: They have to be sold through a 'high end' dealer. And, BTW, Bowers & Wilkins is one of the LARGEST speaker manufactures in the WORLD. There for they are a NAME brand. :fyi:

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they are not a name brand. Pick up a Hi-Fi magazine. There will probably be an article about a B&W Group product or a add in there. And, if there isn't you are reading low-end crappy magazines. :fyi:

1loudsuv
03-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Uhh... Internet brands? B&W & Rotel can't be sold on the internet. :fyi: They have to be sold through a 'high end' dealer. And, BTW, Bowers & Wilkins is one of the LARGEST speaker manufactures in the WORLD. There for they are a NAME brand. :fyi:

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they are not a name brand. Pick up a Hi-Fi magazine. There will probably be an article about a B&W Group product or a add in there. And, if there isn't you are reading low-end crappy magazines. :fyi:

yep you cannot buy b&w,rotel,paradigm, even definitive technology off the net.. these brands are nothing like RE,FI,DD (no disprespect to them cause they do sell good products) b&w and rotel and other brands in their leag are way high end i bet those same dealers that sell b&w have never and will never carry jbl.

my definitive technology dealer sells rotel,paradigm,marantz,mcintosh,seinhenser (sp) and its so high end that if you walk in without an appoitment they will kick you out of the store. has a big sign outside on the window need to call to make an appointment to come in. why cause they give you all the attention and you dont have to wait around for some bs 18 year old at best buy to tell you things you probably know more about, these guys know their ****!

jbl,pioneer,sony now those are true internet brands...

ps b&w> to my ears well for anything 10 grand per speaker and under :) i wish i could afford some 800s :(

ngsm13
03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Lawl.

nG

joetama
03-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Wow...

B&W is great. But JBL has it's place too. The very high end JBL stuff is VERY good.

Honestly if your dealer is that tight with stuff you need to find a new dealer. All the good dealers I know and have been do have a VERY open door policy and I have become friends with several sales guys.

There really are no real internet brands in decent home audio other than Bose, Polk, and Infinity which build a decent enough product for their price range (except BOSE).

1loudsuv
03-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow...

B&W is great. But JBL has it's place too. The very high end JBL stuff is VERY good.

Honestly if your dealer is that tight with stuff you need to find a new dealer. All the good dealers I know and have been do have a VERY open door policy and I have become friends with several sales guys.

There really are no real internet brands in decent home audio other than Bose, Polk, and Infinity which build a decent enough product for their price range (except BOSE).

its not cause their jerks that they dont want anyone just coming in but that their so busy doing installs they want to make sure you get a proper demo and that not just anyone walks in and plays with a couple hundred grand worth of stuff, com'on how often do you walk into a best buy when some idiot is blasting the stereo till its beyond distorted? sales people where i go are extremely nice their. no biased towards anything.

joetama
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
I guess I can see that...

However, it sounds like they need to expand and hire more people :laugh:

JimJ
03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
There really are no real internet brands in decent home audio other than Bose, Polk, and Infinity

What's your defintion of an "internet brand?"

Beat_Dominator
03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd rock Outlaw's gear.

joetama
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Something more easily purchased online than in a real store.....

BTW, I don't condone buying sound equipment online, unless you have heard it in person or can trust the seller absolutely ...

ngsm13
03-31-2007, 08:01 PM
I'd say Outlaw, Oppo, and the likes are Internet Brands.

:fyi:

nG

JimJ
03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Something more easily purchased online than in a real store.....

BTW, I don't condone buying sound equipment online, unless you have heard it in person or can trust the seller absolutely ...

C'mon, just because Decware, Cain & Cain, Fostex, Teres Audio, Fi (the original one), Wellborne Labs, Bottlehead Inc., etc...aren't sold in stores doesn't make them any less credible.

I'd say they more than qualify as "real" brands in "decent" audio :)

joetama
03-31-2007, 11:24 PM
There is nothing at all wrong with internet brands. Nothing at all.

Those are all dealers and brands that can be trusted because they either have great track records or just build a very good products...

Oppo for example is very much a internet brand. However, their equipment continues to prove it's self very good in terms of price and quality. Infact I have a Oppo upconverting DVD player on its way right now!!!

But, then again some people might consider Decware to be a 'no name' brand. :laugh: :fyi:

ngsm13
04-01-2007, 12:55 AM
I consider your mom a no-name brand.

nG

bigbangtheory
04-01-2007, 12:08 PM

My mistake, I thought those were internet brands being I was comparing them to the likes of the car audio world like old RE, FI and a **** ton of others.

I also can go into any local Best buy, CC and get Sony, JBL, Infinity and other mainstream stuff.

Req-As far as pics go again, I said update on parents setup. Didnt say anything about update, got pics of parents setup, lol! But have to see whay I can do as my camera is DOA from getting it back supposedly fixed. :( See if parents are working tonight.

JimJ
04-01-2007, 12:48 PM
There will probably be an article about a B&W Group product or a add in there. And, if there isn't you are reading low-end crappy magazines.

Lawl.

How's the view up there?

:D

joetama
04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I consider your mom a no-name brand.

nG

She is... Oh well... :fyi:

My mistake, I thought those were internet brands being I was comparing them to the likes of the car audio world like old RE, FI and a **** ton of others.

I also can go into any local Best buy, CC and get Sony, JBL, Infinity and other mainstream stuff.

Req-As far as pics go again, I said update on parents setup. Didnt say anything about update, got pics of parents setup, lol! But have to see whay I can do as my camera is DOA from getting it back supposedly fixed. :( See if parents are working tonight.

Pics or :ban:

joetama
04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Lawl.

How's the view up there?

:D

Pretty good... :laugh: