PDA

View Full Version : Advice JL XR 6.5 vs. Rainbow SLC 265

RidgelineNate
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I own a set of JL XR 6.5, but they don't get quite as loud as I would like. I have them running on a JL 300/4, but only off of two channels. Would the Rainbow's be worth the upgrade? or should I just get a new amp.

If I get the Rainbow's I'm going to get an amp and I need advice on that. I've always been JL, but I think I'm going to stray. I would like the speakers, amp and wiring to run be about $600. I already have RCA's, but all my old wiring stayed in my 2004 F-150. Just got a Ridgeline and I'm starting the install.

RidgelineNate
03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
bump

sry just need help, dont know alot about rainbow, have searched and I havent found someone comparing the two...

also amp wise, whats a good amp to get a louder, clearer sound...i am all about sq..loud hq

tmoney
03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
i got a pair of cmx's and they r clear *** hell. the only pair of jl i've had were tr650-csi/they ******, and ******, and ****** until i had to *** off of them.

TheGarageMaster
03-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I own a set of JL XR 6.5, but they don't get quite as loud as I would like. I have them running on a JL 300/4, but only off of two channels. Would the Rainbow's be worth the upgrade? or should I just get a new amp.

If I get the Rainbow's I'm going to get an amp and I need advice on that. I've always been JL, but I think I'm going to stray. I would like the speakers, amp and wiring to run be about $600. I already have RCA's, but all my old wiring stayed in my 2004 F-150. Just got a Ridgeline and I'm starting the install.

This forum hates Jl but I do not. I can tell you even in 2 channel your amp is an issue. I have a 450/4 and I use it in a 2 channel (Long Story) and when I switch it with the 300/2 it was night and day because the set up. Your issue is amp right now though you might need to upgrade the speakers but think amp.

60ndown
03-26-2007, 09:05 PM
i enjoyed my xrs.

RidgelineNate
03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
anyone heard them both? Rainbows and JL's? btw I can tell there are some jl haters here ;) There are ton of topics on rainbow but little on jl.

Lastly, good 4 channel amp, I've read some items on arc and zapco. Any others? And among arc and zapco, what models that aren't outragously expensive?

chucku
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
If you are running a JL 300/4 bridged, thats 150x2, you comps should be loud and clear. If your just using 2 channels thats only 75x2, not enough power.

shovelhd
03-27-2007, 12:08 AM
I have the SLC's in my Ridgeline powered by an Eclipse XA4000. Sounds great.

zSnb
03-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I've got the XR's and a JBL amp sending them 105rms and they fkn scream. I've heard better sets of comps out there like the 720prs but nothing as loud off of such little power yet. I can crank and crank the volume on those suckers and they play techno effortlessly. I've recently had the chance to play with a set of SLC Kicks and I wasnt impressed but I cant comment on the install though. I've already been flamed for saying this on this forum before but the XR's sound noticeably better. Now if you move up to the Rainbow CMX or the Germs it would probably be a different story. Oh yeah...now that I think of it, the Boston Pro60's would probably get louder or as loud as the XR's but they can take a couple gobs of power also.

RidgelineNate
03-27-2007, 12:23 PM
yeah I've been talking with the guy from premieraudio and I think I might bump to the CMX line. They are still in my price range.

95bat
03-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I have JL VR coaxs up front and Rainbow 165 kicks in the rear, all powered off a 300/4.

I would go with the Rainbows over the JLs. I think JLs lack a bit of midbass, and sometimes their tweeters are too harsh to me. The Rainbow 165 kicks sound MUCH better overall than the JLs. I wouldn't even worry about getting a new amp until you hear the speakers with your current amp. Then, if you want louder, you can another amp to feed them more power. It won't hurt you to do this in steps until you are satisfied :)

zSnb
03-28-2007, 12:14 AM
I have JL VR coaxs up front and Rainbow 165 kicks in the rear, all powered off a 300/4.

I would go with the Rainbows over the JLs. I think JLs lack a bit of midbass, and sometimes their tweeters are too harsh to me. The Rainbow 165 kicks sound MUCH better overall than the JLs. I wouldn't even worry about getting a new amp until you hear the speakers with your current amp. Then, if you want louder, you can another amp to feed them more power. It won't hurt you to do this in steps until you are satisfied :)

no offense bro but you have the VR's. we're talking about the XR's which are completely different.

Justintoxicated
03-28-2007, 01:18 AM
75 x2 miggt not be optimal, but jeez, I had a 75x2 amp on my DLS comps and they got very loud, they are unbearably loud for me with an arc 2100XXK...Guess it varies from comps to comps quite a bit but if your thinking about changing speakers 75x2 may be plenty. Is the amp bridagable?

Honestly if your going to upgrade what you already have just do it right and get DLS iridiums or better, Rainbow Germs or better,Focal Utopias or KP2, Dynaudio and call it done.