PDA

View Full Version : 6x9s or 6.5s?

Bluedevil
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I just picked up an 05 4Runner and I am in the process of swapping out the factory deck for one of the newer Alpine HU with the iPod Full Speed control. However, I am also thinking about replacing the factory speakers and get something nice, but I'm not interested in amping the front speakers and the wife put her foot down on a sub and amp. :crap:

So basically I need to swap out those speakers for something will sound as good as possible running off an aftermarket deck's amp and add some bass to the proceedings. I am used to a nice little 10" MTX sub and amp, so I want as full of a range as possible though I know it won't be able to do everything the old system could.

The trick here is that not only am I running the speakers off the deck, I have the choice of putting in 6.5s or 6x9s in the door. Now I am pretty sure I want to go with components (which I think makes running it off a deck that much more difficult), because I want the best sound quality possible.

CDT makes a 6x9 component that supposedly goes sub 50hz and the sensitivity is a pretty decent 91.5 dbf. But I've always heard a round speaker gives the best fidelity, plus the price is a bit better.

What do ya think?

DejaWiz
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Can you get wife approval for a setup like this?

Front Comps:
Phoenix Gold RSd65cs (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17540)
or
Alpine SPR-17S (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17563)

Rear 6x9 Subs:
Tang Band (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837)

Amp for all the above:
Infinity 7541a (http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF7541A)

Amp kit and misc - $100-150

There, now the front stage, sub stage, and amps have been taken care of.

(there are lower priced amps that could be utilized as well, but for the sale price that Infinity is a pretty decent deal.)

Bluedevil
03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I like your thinking DejaWiz, but no.

Basically it is deck and speakers, but having been spoiled with my last two cars (while single mind you) I don't want a hard fall from decent stuff to stock decks and paper cones.

DejaWiz
03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Pioneer REVs perform quite well off HU power and can greatly benefit from an amp later on down the road. They get pretty low (I heard a pair of 6x9 REVs off 22wpc rms on a Pioneer HU and I could actually feel some bass hits in my chest a little bit).

Check pricing at onlinecarstereo, sonicelectronix, and cardomain. Might be able to get one of them to do their price match guarantee.

Bluedevil
03-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Any thoughts about speaker size or selection?

Bluedevil
03-28-2007, 12:01 AM
So if you had to choose for good bass and no hopes of a sub... 6x9s or 6.5 components?

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 12:26 AM
I'd go with 6.5 comps up front, personally.

Pioneer REV comps should be decent off HU power.

Intercooler
03-28-2007, 12:44 AM
We have Pioneer 6.5's and 6x9's in my Daughters car and it wangs pretty good off HU power. X3

Bluedevil
03-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Those look great... it appears they can hit the low frequencies, which was a concern of mine. But the 90dbs of sensitivity isn't a concern I take it?

I'm looking at one of the new Alpines 9883/5, but I saw the deal on the Eclipse CD-5000. I know this is out of place, but would either of those lend themselves better to these Pioneer REVs than another? The Eclipse almost seems like overkill for such a simple system.

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Those look great... it appears they can hit the low frequencies, which was a concern of mine. But the 90dbs of sensitivity isn't a concern I take it?

I'm looking at one of the new Alpines 9883/5, but I saw the deal on the Eclipse CD-5000. I know this is out of place, but would either of those lend themselves better to these Pioneer REVs than another? The Eclipse almost seems like overkill for such a simple system.

No, 90dBa of sensitivity is pretty good.

I'd go with the CD5000 over any Alpine deck (my preference). Distortion generally doesn't happen on the Eclipse until about 85-90% max volume; I've been told this by a guy I know that has worked at a variety of places such as Kicker and PPI, who personally saw this on an O'scope when he was setting up his brothers SQ system. Pretty much all other HU's start distorting at 75-80% max (which we all already know). The only very small drawback I can see is that the Eclipse is a HU that's geared more for use with external amps (8V preouts, internal is only 14Wx4 rms as opposed to Pioneer's 22Wx4... not really major though).

I've seen the CD5000 at various places on the net for $250 or less. Killer deal.

Intercooler
03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I bought my Daughter a Sony that works just awesome. It is a whole lot of bang for the buck. Probably more-so than my CD-5000 and it was cheap! It works outstanding with the Rev's in her car. The CD noise rating is the highest I could found ANYWHERE!

Read about it here:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203994&highlight=Sony

Bluedevil
03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't want to hijack the meaning of this forum, but since I have a captive audience... :D

My feeling was that Eclipse deck would have been better served with external amps, but I though the 14w RMS was like a truer sense of actual power than what you get from even the most robust HU. But if you say that Pioneer puts out nearly 50% more power, then that is good enough for me. I had a Pioneer deck some 10 years ago, but it was junk. I made the move to Alpine 7 years ago or so and have been happy with their HU's, but I read a lot on here supporting Pioneer (including the speakers you guys suggest).

Has the seas of quality products shifted again and now Pioneer has amped up their product line after several years back then when they were junk? If so, does the Premier designation mean anything? I was looking in the 180-250 range for a deck...

Again a lot of apologies for hijacking this to talk about decks for the speakers I originally asked about.

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't want to hijack the meaning of this forum, but since I have a captive audience... :D

My feeling was that Eclipse deck would have been better served with external amps, but I though the 14w RMS was like a truer sense of actual power than what you get from even the most robust HU. But if you say that Pioneer puts out nearly 50% more power, then that is good enough for me. I had a Pioneer deck some 10 years ago, but it was junk. I made the move to Alpine 7 years ago or so and have been happy with their HU's, but I read a lot on here supporting Pioneer (including the speakers you guys suggest).

Has the seas of quality products shifted again and now Pioneer has amped up their product line after several years back then when they were junk? If so, does the Premier designation mean anything? I was looking in the 180-250 range for a deck...

Again a lot of apologies for hijacking this to talk about decks for the speakers I originally asked about.

I feel Pioneer's HU quality has come up a lot in recent years. First Pioneer HU I bought was an old DEH-P6000 and it sold me on them. Next was the DEH-P8400MP, and it just got better. Paired that up with some Pioneer 4" coax in front and 6x9" 4-ways in the rear (which went low enough to feel a bit off HU power, of course, my Hu can be tuned to send bass to the rears and mids+highs to the fronts). Today, comparing the specs of their new HU's (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18326) ( <-- a friend of mine preordered that and it should be here by the end of the week) to mine, Pioneer has done some wonderful things to keep progress going.

Pioneer = Pioneer Premier. There is absolutely nothing different in the functionality and layout between similar model numbers (DEH-P6800MP = DEH-P680MP).

As for the power.... it takes about 10 times the power to be twice as loud, so honestly you won't be able to hear much of a difference between 14w and 22w. And like I said, the likeliness of the Eclipse CD5000 distorting at high volume is a bit less than just about any other HU in it's class.

Because of retailers flushing out the CD5000's at such a discount to make room for the new CD5100's, I wouldn't hesitate to get one of I was in the market for a HU. Otherwise, I'm Pioneer all the way.

Oh, and you can't really hijack your own thread.... it's yours, you talked about speakers already, so feel free to talk about whatever else you need to lol. That's what makes this forum so great... just about all of us are here to seek and provide feedback.

Bluedevil
03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks...

I did some research and it seems the new Pioneer Premiers have the Ipod cable included which is a nice bonus though I'm not sold on the blue in my 4Runner's yellow/orange lit dash. It would seem the Eclipse would make the most sense in this case, but perhaps the 5000 would be overkill for a small system like my own plus I would have to plunk down another 50 bucks for the iPod adapter from Eclipse.

It seems the reviews are good on the new Premier 590...though I don't see a lot of difference between the various Pioneer Premier models. They are reasonably priced but with few, if any differences. Should I look at Premiers only because the cable is included or are there other benefits besides the 2 year warranty?

DejaWiz
03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Should I look at Premiers only because the cable is included or are there other benefits besides the 2 year warranty?

Very good observation about the Premiers coming with the cable. Makes it a bargain for only $6-10 more.

And the blue isn't so bad. Went quite nicely with the greenish/whitish/yellowish lighting on my old Saab 900. It was actually a very nice ambience.

krisfnbz
03-28-2007, 05:21 PM
"the wife put her foot down on a sub and amp"

wow

Bluedevil
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
yeah... don't ask. :(

Bluedevil
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
any thoughts on this uBS link or whatever it is that allows any USB drive to hook up to the 690's and control those drives as well? I have an ipod and I don't foresee using a drive, so other than that it seems the 590 makes a lot more sense.