PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for the show truck. Fi, Polk, Diamond...???

Mystic Knight
03-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Sorry about writting a small book here. Just figured I'd throw out as much detail as I can so I can answer some questions before they're asked...

I've been checking out the site for quite a while trying to do some research before starting the interior work on my truck. I'm to the point now that's I'd like to get some recommendations from some guys out there that have a lot more experience than I ever will.

First a little about me an the project:
I've installed a system in every ride I've ever had starting with my first car in '89. Nothing too extreme though. Unfortunatly most of my listening was done almost 10 years ago when I did some part-time work at a shop. Back then I listened to some MB Quarts that were great and some amazing AVI subs. Now with all the buyouts and takeovers I have no idea what's good and what's not any more.

The truck is a '91 4-door Jimmy with full air-ride suspension, a small block V8 conversion, and tons of custom bodywork. I'll probably end up custom building most of the interior. I've already started installing the sound deadener from Second Skin Audio. (Thanks Ant!)

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC04212.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC04217.jpg

What's been purchased:
The only equipment that's been purchased so far is the HU and some other items. I got a great deal on them after someone lost their job and had to sell it all. It's a Kenwood DDX6019. I also got 4 Kenwood 6.5" heardrest units, and an Audio Control Three.1 which I may or may not use. Any recommendations on amps, setup, or anything else is greatly appreciated.

What I'm looking for:
I'd like build an SQ system for the '91 Jimmy I'm working on. I'm thinking 6.5" seperates in custom kickpanels, 6.5" coax's in the rear doors powered by a 4ch amp. For the sub I could do 2 12's but it'd be great to do 1 12" that really performs. I've always been a big fan of systems that really suprise people.

As far as price goes, that's kind of open. 2G is my upper limit right now for the interior work. A vast majority of the work will be done by me to cut down on costs.

As I've read through the posts on here I keep seeing names like Diamond, Fi, Rainbow, and others. I'm thinking it'd be nice to go with a company like Diamond which makes speakers and amps so I can do some "one stop shopping". I'm totally open to suggestions though if there's better options. Details like power, etc are open since I haven't purchased the amps yet. I'd like to do it all at once so everything is well matched.

Thanks ahead of time guys. Look forward to getting this all worked out!

sue bee
03-25-2007, 05:59 PM
rainbow makes a sub if i recall, and people love rainbow speakers on here. not sure if i've seen a rainbow amp though. fi doesn't make speakers or amps. diamond does all three. jl does all 3. alpine does.

tmoney
03-25-2007, 06:25 PM
i'll probaly do diamond all the way if I was u. the subs seems to be awesome, the amps normally underrated and the comps seem to be okay. The hex series probaly the best besides the d9s i think. The subs and amp r in line with quality like jl and the speakers r in line with polk(above momo) not yet wit the sr's and the rainbows cmx line.

bigmac16
03-25-2007, 07:33 PM
many speakers to look at like dynaudio, rainbow, and avi's are still around at avisound.com. Many amps to look at also like arc, audison, mcintosh.I see where someone is selling a pair of rainbow cal 28 tweeteers, might look into them.

squeak9798
03-25-2007, 07:43 PM
rainbow makes a sub if i recall, and people love rainbow speakers on here. not sure if i've seen a rainbow amp though.

Rainbow did recently release an amplifier lineup.

However, there are so many options for your setup that it's almost limitless.

What exactly are you looking for out of the system? Just good sound quality for driving around? Competition level sound quality? Sound quality also capable of high output levels?

Do you have any sound preferences?

ngsm13
03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
What exactly are you looking for out of the system? Just good sound quality for driving around? Competition level sound quality? Sound quality also capable of high output levels?

Do you have any sound preferences?

Yes.

What's the plans for the setup?

nG

Mystic Knight
03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Ya, I noticed Rainbow doesn't have subs and Fi only seems to have subs. I don't absoloutly HAVE to have everything made by one company. I was just stating that it'd be nice. I'm more than willing to go with a mix of equipment to get the best results though. Don't let the title steer this topic in 1 direction. I'm willing to look at other brands or setups if people want to make suggestions.

The D9's look like some great components but I just don't know if I could justify spending twice as much as I would on the Hex's. Heck, I think the most I've ever spent on a set of components is $160. :laugh: Then I'd have to buy a larger amp to power them too. If someone could give me a major reason to get the D9's over something like the Hex's I might consider it. It's have to be one hell of an improvment though.

As far as Alpine goes, I'd consider them if they price/performance ratio would match or beat the other brands. Especially since I can go to many local shops and pick Alpine equipment up.

ngsm13
03-25-2007, 08:07 PM
The Hex's aren't great, at all... to be completely honest with you.

I had them, and the midbass on them was lacking terribly.

nG

Mystic Knight
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I should have listed some of this originally. Oh well.

Listening preferences:
I listen to a little bit of everything except country and classical. To give you an idea let me list some of my XM stations:

XM40 - swing music, etc
XM80 - 80's music
The City - urban, rap, r&b
Squizz - hard rock
XM Chill - Ambient, dance, electronic

I won't be taking the truck to many car audio competitions seeing as most of the competitions around here are DB Drags (SPL). I used to be into the monster subs and stuff but after suffering a little hearing loss (oops) I finally realized it's tiime to turn it down a bit. I still want to turn it up at shows and stuff though and be able to make people take notice. I've always wanted one of those setups with an amazing sound stage. That's what I'll be shooting for.

So in short, I guess the answer would be: impressive SQ with some great bump but I don't need to spend CRAZY amounts of money to impress SQ or SPL judges.

SQBubble
03-25-2007, 08:28 PM
if you wanna go same brand all the way, its either kicker or boston but if it was me i would do usamps/RE audio would be sweet, say 2 15" xxx with 2or more xxx component up front with some ax series or merlin.

konechiwa
03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Ya, I noticed Rainbow doesn't have subs and Fi only seems to have subs. I don't absoloutly HAVE to have everything made by one company. I was just stating that it'd be nice. I'm more than willing to go with a mix of equipment to get the best results though. Don't let the title steer this topic in 1 direction. I'm willing to look at other brands or setups if people want to make suggestions.

The D9's look like some great components but I just don't know if I could justify spending twice as much as I would on the Hex's. Heck, I think the most I've ever spent on a set of components is $160. :laugh: Then I'd have to buy a larger amp to power them too. If someone could give me a major reason to get the D9's over something like the Hex's I might consider it. It's have to be one hell of an improvment though.

As far as Alpine goes, I'd consider them if they price/performance ratio would match or beat the other brands. Especially since I can go to many local shops and pick Alpine equipment up.

1: rainbow doesn't make subs? Hmm thats strange. Maybe i should call them and ask about how i got my rainbow hammer sub then!

Yes they do actually make subs,
they have the Hammer, Amboss, Profi, and Vanadium lines.

2: New Diamond ***** IMO. No midbass and too harsh, it's like listening to infinity all over again

do you mean 2K for the audio or 2K for all the interior including audio...

Mystic Knight
03-25-2007, 08:54 PM
1: rainbow doesn't make subs? Hmm thats strange. Maybe i should call them and ask about how i got my rainbow hammer sub then...or maybe i should ask about their Vanadium Series Subs...or their Amboss Series subs...or their Profi Subs.

2: New Diamond ***** IMO. No midbass and too harsh, it's like listening to infinity all over again

do you mean 2K for the audio or 2K for all the interior including audio...

Ok, ya my bad. I've been looking at so many different brands I lose track sometimes. Sorry about that. I'm figuring 2G MAX on the remainder of the audio equipment. Really hoping to keep it under that though. The interior will be a whole other money pit I'll be dealing with seperatly. :eek:

Opinions like this are the reason I posted this. It's interesting hearing people say they don't like certain Diamond equipment. For those that don't like the Diamonds, what are you running instead? Rainbow konichiwa?

Mystic Knight
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
if you wanna go same brand all the way, its either kicker or boston but if it was me i would do usamps/RE audio would be sweet, say 2 15" xxx with 2or more xxx component up front with some ax series or merlin.

I'd consider a US Amp/RE Audio setup but there's no way I'll be doing 2 15's. I just sat in a truck with 1 12" MTX 9500 and that was enough bass for me. That's why I was saying I'd like to do 1-2 12's.

How do you like those Polks? I was looking at the Momo series.

ngsm13
03-25-2007, 09:11 PM
You could consider MTX, Kicker, or Boston if you do a 1company setup.

nG

MassOccur
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I could get you a good deal on RE if you can't find anything else. Sounds like a couple 12" SE's, 12" SX's or maybe a single RE MX would be best for you. If I were you, I'd go the 12 MX route. Amp could be a Sundown SAZ-1500, RF T20001BD or RF T15001BD, etc. Mids/Highs I'd look into Focal or Rainbow. Both make awesome component Sets. The SLC265 Kicks are nice from Rainbow and the V2's are Nice from Focal.

A Smaller alternator and an extra battery would be nice as well. Good choice on the sound dampening. I will be making a large purchase through Second Skin as well soon. Best of luck with this and lemme know if you're interested in RE.

konechiwa
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
I'd consider a US Amp/RE Audio setup but there's no way I'll be doing 2 15's. I just sat in a truck with 1 12" MTX 9500 and that was enough bass for me. That's why I was saying I'd like to do 1-2 12's.

How do you like those Polks? I was looking at the Momo series.

:) ya rainbow for me. I love the way they sound. I know what you mean. When i was looking for my new system, it took me forever to find out things and it was just a very interesting process.

I use to have the Momo's...their too soft of a speaker. Not enough midbass, insanely harsh silk tweets, I just think you can get better for the money.

If you truly wanted a one company setup that wasn't sort-of ghetto, i'd go with boston. They sound really good too and have very nice subs and speakers.

Pickler
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd have to say either a RE XXX/MX or a Fi Q.

Mystic Knight
03-25-2007, 10:24 PM
:) ya rainbow for me. I love the way they sound. I know what you mean. When i was looking for my new system, it took me forever to find out things and it was just a very interesting process.

I use to have the Momo's...their too soft of a speaker. Not enough midbass, insanely harsh silk tweets, I just think you can get better for the money.

If you truly wanted a one company setup that wasn't sort-of ghetto, i'd go with boston. They sound really good too and have very nice subs and speakers.

Wow, I haven't heard people talk about Boston in quite a while. Kinda forgot all about them. I saw one of their oval subs at a show last year. As I recall it was pretty expensive. Have you had the chance to compare BA's to your Rainbows? If so how would you rate them? Like I said, a one company setup isn't neccesary, it would just make things a little easier.

Mystic Knight
03-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I could get you a good deal on RE if you can't find anything else...

Thanks for the offer. Are you an authorized distributor? I've noticed there seems to be some key people to talk to on here when shopping for certain brands. When you say "if you can't find anything else" it makes it sound like I'd be settling for a lesser brand if I used RE. I'm assuming it wasn't meant to sound that way. I have to admit, I've never heard of Sundown. Do they have a distribution on the East coast or in the NW? I know some brands tend to be more popular on one side than the other. Know of any reviews on their products? I found their site but I'd like to see some more details on them.

Thanks again guys

meinbeast
03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
check out the polk SR series, very nice components as well as subs, complete SQ................read the white pages on both

tmoney
03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
i'll say diamond subs and amps. polk SR comps or rainbows cmx or the germs.

diamond_sound
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I would go with all Diamond. As you can see in my sig I use all Diamond and it sounds great. In my pathfinder I am using all stock locations for the speakers and I get a ton of midbass to the point where I have to readjust the eq way down to not blow them out of the doors. Just my 2 cents.

djman37
03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
inverted RE's would be sexay.. MX or XXX. I'd save the $$ and go MX.
since it's a show car, talk directly to the manf. and see what they might do.

pboulos
03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
1 of these for the win:

all memphis
or
all jbl

Mystic Knight
03-27-2007, 12:20 AM
check out the polk SR series, very nice components as well as subs, complete SQ................read the white pages on both

I checked out the white pages. Very impressive. That price on the component set is a little hard to swallow though. I might consider them if I knew I was going to hear some amazing differences between those and some of the other options though. For the same price I could do a set of the Rainbow Profi's. For about $200 less I could do the Germs. Has anyone had the chance to compare the Rainbows to the Polk SR's? I know konechiwa said he likes his SLC's over the Momo's.

dynamcpunk
03-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I'd check out JBL's GTI series subs and component's and look at thier at thier power line amps. The polk sr's are awesome but polk doesn't make a strong enough amp to push thier sub. If it were me I would go all JBL thier GTI subs are sure to impress people.

Tonyguy
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
if you can get them for good money, then focal just released some amps, and they already make great speakers and subs. But more than likely, a full focal system will run more than 2g's.

konechiwa
03-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Wow, I haven't heard people talk about Boston in quite a while. Kinda forgot all about them. I saw one of their oval subs at a show last year. As I recall it was pretty expensive. Have you had the chance to compare BA's to your Rainbows? If so how would you rate them? Like I said, a one company setup isn't neccesary, it would just make things a little easier.

my rainbows annihilate the bostons that are the same price range as them. The Boston are good speakers, don't get me wrong, in fact i was going to get them, but then i heard everything about rainbow, and well, bit the bullet and purchased them, and i am 100% confident in my decision.

The Bostons are very good, the rainbows are just plain better though.

Since the Z6's are being phased out for the new SPZ's (i think thats what their called) you should be able to find some pretty nice deals on them (thats boston's old top of the line speaker, the Z6)

DejaWiz
03-27-2007, 05:22 PM
The polk sr's are awesome but polk doesn't make a strong enough amp to push thier subs.

Or their comps, for that matter.... ;)
But those SR6500's are sa-weet sounding indeed!

Mystic, just bite the bullet and taste the Rainbow.

SQBubble
03-27-2007, 08:20 PM
ya polk momo are ok speakers... nothing amazing but it aint audiobahn or some cheap bs though ... they are good basic speakers, and good build quality, the basket and the whole woofer is very solid, its been more than a year that i have them and they went trough winter summer rain snow colddd all kind of weather, still work fine. but they could sound much better and natural... and i dont recommend them to you, hehe, IMO pay the most you can on components, they the most important thing man

Mystic Knight
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Ok, so lets lean in the direction of a setup using Rainbow. Just figuring out total cost on some theoretical combos. I've been looking at http://premier-audio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14_15&products_id=52 for base prices. Let me know if there's a better option out there.

12" Hammer - $199
SLC 265 Kick set - $319
Not a bad price if they're all konichiwa says they are (and many others too).

Don't ask me why but I'm still drawn to the idea of doing a full Diamond setup. There's a local shop that sells them near me. I might have to go take a listen. I wish I could do the same with the Rainbows.

What are most of you using for rear fill? I know I've seen some people say they don't have any rear fill. Others do. My current system in my daily driver has Polk EX 6.5 seperates in the front doors, 4x6 plates in the dash, and 6.5 coax's in the rear doors. The sub is a 12" Polk EX. It's all run off a PPI A404 run mixed mono. It sounds ok but the imaging could definitly be improved. The original idea was to do a similar setup but use a 4ch amp + a monoblock for the sub.

xtremebassjunky
03-28-2007, 01:53 AM
if you can get a deal on zapco products thats what I would do...
the amps are great, and the components i have heard were very good.

SQBubble
03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
let me add JBL, they make some pretty nice all-around car audio stuff

kublkmax
03-28-2007, 10:31 PM
May I interject here. The rainbow route would be perfect. I would say jump up to the Germs, Subs you could stick with the hammer if you want but I say get the profi sub. Amps wide open here. Arc's new Kar series, Audison SRx line, or lets go a totally different direction and do an all DLS setup. Reference amps, UR6i components, and the SP12 sub and call it a wrap. 6spdcoupe is the fella you wanna talk to about the DLS or the Rainbow stuff.

Omarvelous
03-29-2007, 07:43 AM
May I interject here. The rainbow route would be perfect. I would say jump up to the Germs, Subs you could stick with the hammer if you want but I say get the profi sub. Amps wide open here. Arc's new Kar series, Audison SRx line, or lets go a totally different direction and do an all DLS setup. Reference amps, UR6i components, and the SP12 sub and call it a wrap. 6spdcoupe is the fella you wanna talk to about the DLS or the Rainbow stuff.

Germs will eat up his budget.

Mystic Knight
03-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Ya, I haven't had a chance to check pricing on all that equipment but I'm guessing a lot of it will kill the budget.

A few things to keep in mind when making recommendations:
Amp(s), speakers, & sub - $2000.00
It won't be entering audio competitions. Just personal listening and car shows.

I never really got an answer from anyone. What are people doing for rear fill, especially in SUV's or wagons? I've tried setting up a system without the rear speakers and it never really worked out well. You could tell exactly where the speakers were. It was a cheaper setup though. The other thing to consider, the HU I'm using is a DVD unit so I'd think it'd be kind of nice to have the sound "wrap around the listeners" as opposed to being all up front. I'm just questioning the rear fill because that's obviously going to make a difference if I have to spend a couple extra $100 for rear fill speakers.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'd really like to get suggestions from people that have had the chance to listen to different brands. Maybe someone that competes or owns/works at a shop, as opposed to someone that just says "it's the best because it's what I run".

Mystic Knight
03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Anyone have any opinions on this setup? Theis site seems to talk a lot about a great sound stage and I've heard a few people mention them before. Just wondering how they compare to some of the ones we've been talking about.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/UP-629CF.htm

el_chupo_
03-29-2007, 12:40 PM
CDT makes some good quality speakers. They wont be in the same league as Rainbow, but they will sound very good, better than most.

Also, Woofersetc.com is having a sale on CDT stuff, you may find better deals there.

Mystic Knight
03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the link. Looks like they have some pretty good prices.

cam5860
03-31-2007, 02:03 PM
For the money, I would buy the polkmomo mmc 6500 set. I have been running them for a year now with the polkmomo 4 channel amp and they sound awesome.

If you put that momo amp on them they sound really good. Because you can remove the passive crossovers and biamp them off the amp. Plus all you have to do is use the pre eq switch and it sets the crossover points for you no tweeting.

The momo amp was built specially for the momo componet set and they don't sound nearly as good without that momo amp on them.

konechiwa
03-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Ya, I haven't had a chance to check pricing on all that equipment but I'm guessing a lot of it will kill the budget.

A few things to keep in mind when making recommendations:
Amp(s), speakers, & sub - $2000.00
It won't be entering audio competitions. Just personal listening and car shows.

I never really got an answer from anyone. What are people doing for rear fill, especially in SUV's or wagons? I've tried setting up a system without the rear speakers and it never really worked out well. You could tell exactly where the speakers were. It was a cheaper setup though. The other thing to consider, the HU I'm using is a DVD unit so I'd think it'd be kind of nice to have the sound "wrap around the listeners" as opposed to being all up front. I'm just questioning the rear fill because that's obviously going to make a difference if I have to spend a couple extra $100 for rear fill speakers.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'd really like to get suggestions from people that have had the chance to listen to different brands. Maybe someone that competes or owns/works at a shop, as opposed to someone that just says "it's the best because it's what I run".

You can get the rainbows for cheaper then that, pm premieraudio (aaron) or 6spdcoupe (don) to get better prices.

You could easily afford some stuff in their higher up line...maybe the germs (i think 450) and a profi vandium sub (i think 400) would do you good...that'd leave about 1000 for two amps and rear fill, which can easily be done. I'm not to smart with amps...but i've had some kicker amps before and they were very nice (at least to me). You can get the zx line in that price range, and they easily do their rated power and then some (my kx350.4 did 396 watts instead of 350, birthsheet). Maybe 450.2 and a 400.1 (for the sub, the vanadium is dual 3.6 ohms, so it'd be 400 watts to the sub, most likely more since the kicker amp is underrated). Maybe a tiny amp and sl165 for the rear. that would most likely set you back about 1700ish. You could certainly find those amps cheaper on ebay though.

thats just me. I'm sure someone smarter can chime in here.

pboulos
03-31-2007, 02:57 PM
let me add JBL, they make some pretty nice all-around car audio stuff

i added them many posts ago but it seems like the recommendation was ignored although a full jbl system done properly will annihilate almost any other recommendation made to this point within a reasonable price range

meinbeast
03-31-2007, 05:00 PM
You can get some serious equipment with that high of a budget if you shop/look in the right places and take your time.

I got my system :
Polk SR 6500's
Polk SR 104-DVC 10" sub
PG 200.4 amp
Kicker amp kit/speaker wires
36sq ft Dynamat Extreme bulk kit

all new for under $1100

It just took 3 months of research and demos to choose the equipment. When that was all determined It took about a month to find all the equipment I wanted at the prices I wanted to pay.

After all the reading I have done on the 6 forums I frequent I found that the Polk SR6500 had the best reviews across all boards, never really heard anyone say anything negative about them, which is impressive considering how critical and brand loyal some forums/members are.

After I demoed them at a local shop that pretty much sealed the deal.

PS I bought everything online/ebay and couldn't be happier.

Mystic Knight
04-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. If it's been suggested here I've looked at the product lines.

JBL:
I looked at the JBL line. I found a few reviews of their products. Most seemed to rate them pretty well. The prices are pretty reasonable too. I have to be honest about why I decided not to consider them... the looks. What the hell were they thinking when they put that plasticy looking silver dome on their subs?? If I used them I'd have to invert them to hide that thing.

Polk SR Series:
These are high on my list of options. Every review I've read on the SR line has given them VERY high marks. The reviewer from CA&E said it's the best components he's ever tested. I can't ignore great reviews like that. THe fact that their made by a US company is a nice little bonus too. I know someone at a local shop that's been saying they can get me some real good prices on Polk and Diamond products. I'll have to talk to him and see how good that price is.

Rainbow:
Also very high on my list. I plan on talking to Aaron and Don to see what kind of price they can do on Germs. If it's well below the Polk SR's they'll probably win. If they're similarly priced I'll probably go with Polk.

Side note:
I'd really hate to have some wonderful components like these in my truck and then settle for the MTX or Kicker amps. They just don't have the same WOW factor. Honestly, I've never heard much difference in sound due to the amp. This may be because I've used PPI for a very long time. It also may be the fact that I've only been using mid-level speakers. I've read tons of amp reviews though and understand that the different qualities can make a difference. Therefor I'll probably look into something a little more high-end. I guess it'll all depend on the final price on the speakers.

genxx
04-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Rainbow(they rule IMHO) or Polk are both awsome. You could also do an all Pioneer set-up, using there premier lines, just adding another brand to the fire. You can build a very nice SQ system for 2G. Alot of good recommendations so far. Have fun building your ride, looks like it will turn out sweet.

Mystic Knight
04-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks GenXX. I just sent a msg to Aaron for some info on the Rainbows.

genxx
04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
With everything in my sig I spent about 2400 for everything and some other stuff not listed. So it can be done, if you shop around and spend time to gather it all up. Just have to check with the guys on here, search the sales on here and other places. GOOD LUCK and remeber just have fun. Not everyone is going to like what you buy or how you install it but it yours and as long as you are happy that all that truly matters.

grouchy
04-03-2007, 03:52 AM
...I'd really like to get suggestions from people that have had the chance to listen to different brands. Maybe someone that competes or owns/works at a shop, as opposed to someone that just says "it's the best because it's what I run".
In your first post you mentioned you liked AVI subs but aren't sure if the quality is still the same. I asked the person who's installing my system for a recomendation on the best SQ subs and he recomended AVI subs so that's what I'm going with. He owns his own shop. Just mentioning this because you already know what they are like and the quality is probably at least as good as you remember.
http://avisound.com/

Mystic Knight
04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Cool man. Good to hear they're still keeping up their quality. I've always wondered why they never made it in the US. They really were amazing. Funny thing is, they look almost the same today as they did back then.

Omarvelous
04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Just checked out Polk's Site....

I'd say go all Polk!!

Comps - SR6500, Amp - C300.2
Sub - SR124 Amp - C500.1

Or..... go active and add this bad boy
Amp - C400.4

SQChevy
04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I of course will chime in with my opinion. I would look to see what you can get a full line of Focal in there. The amps are pretty reasonably priced and I believe they are better than Audison, especially if they are used in conjunction with other Focal products. The amps are somewhat underrated from my experience as well. I think you could get a good set of K2's within that price range and the amps. I'm not sure how much the subs run as I got mine during a great deal because Orca overstocked subs. The sound in my truck astonishes people and make it hard to believe they are in a truck. As far as rear fill, I wouldn't do it unless you really have people riding in the back seat with you all the time. Even then, I wouldn't do it. If you have the front end set up it will take care of things for you. Before I lost my back seat I never had complaints of people who were sitting in the back about the music not being loud enough.

Mystic Knight
04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Agh... Now I know what I'll be doing at lunch. Studying up on Focal! IF I could find Focal equipment in the same price range it's going to make the choice even harder. I've always heard great things about them. I looked into Focal a while ago and the prices seemed kill my wallet pretty quick. I couldn't tell you the exact models I was looking at though. Any recommendations on where to get the best pricing on Focal equipment?

Funny that you mentioned this now. The guy that's doing the body and suspension work on the truck was just saying last night that he sat in a truck with a single Focal 12" sub and it was the best sounding sub he'd ever heard. I don't know what he's comparing that to though. He's a big Memphis fan.

Omarvelous
04-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Agh... Now I know what I'll be doing at lunch. Studying up on Focal! IF I could find Focal equipment in the same price range it's going to make the choice even harder. I've always heard great things about them. I looked into Focal a while ago and the prices seemed kill my wallet pretty quick. I couldn't tell you the exact models I was looking at though. Any recommendations on where to get the best pricing on Focal equipment?

Funny that you mentioned this now. The guy that's doing the body and suspension work on the truck was just saying last night that he sat in a truck with a single Focal 12" sub and it was the best sounding sub he'd ever heard. I don't know what he's comparing that to though. He's a big Memphis fan.

nm, wrong state.... CONTINUE on

Mystic Knight
04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Just checked out Polk's Site....

I'd say go all Polk!!

Comps - SR6500, Amp - C300.2
Sub - SR124 Amp - C500.1

Or..... go active and add this bad boy
Amp - C400.4

Yup. That's about what I was figuring.

Sub - SR124. Amp - C500.1
Comps - SR6500. Amp - C400.4

Corollacrazy42
04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I can't believ no one threw out Pioneers new PRS comps..

$250 buxs new... and have been reviewed with great results for the price.

Also would like to add that I like the way Polks Comps sound and I have the DB series... PLus I have no deadening and I have still managed to get some good midbass going with a little bit of fine tuning.

I think for a show car though you should probably try and stick with a brand, it just looks more clean that way.

Even then though, you could probably piece together things and get a really good system going. I would say, tuning whatever you get is going to have the biggest factor on whether it sounds like crap out sounds amazing. You can have some really nice stuff, but if its not set up properly... it'll sound just like your average joe blow car audio.

Thats just my input on it tho.

dakine640
04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
eclipse, earthquake good stuff

genxx
04-09-2007, 05:31 PM

$250 buxs new... and have been reviewed with great results for the price.

Also would like to add that I like the way Polks Comps sound and I have the DB series... PLus I have no deadening and I have still managed to get some good midbass going with a little bit of fine tuning.

I think for a show car though you should probably try and stick with a brand, it just looks more clean that way.

Even then though, you could probably piece together things and get a really good system going. I would say, tuning whatever you get is going to have the biggest factor on whether it sounds like crap out sounds amazing. You can have some really nice stuff, but if its not set up properly... it'll sound just like your average joe blow car audio.

Thats just my input on it tho.

Actually someone did mention the Premier equipment thanks though. Statment I made already--You could also do an all Pioneer set-up, using there premier lines. He already stated he is trying to stick to all one brand or as close as he can. Read the whole thread.

Mystic Knight
04-10-2007, 12:29 AM
I've been trying to get a hold of Aaron (PremierAudio) but haven't gotten a reply back.

dirthog
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I love my polks very smooth and detailed. Imaging is out of this world and they get very loud.

Mystic Knight
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Ok, these might be added to my list of possibilities. The reviews seem to be as good as some of the others I've been looking at but the prices seem a lot lower. Nothing wrong with that! Thanks guys. The search continues...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/383243804TS-C720PRS_camag_eprint.pdf

genxx
04-10-2007, 11:51 AM
You might try 3.5max6spd on www.DIYmobileaudio.com send him a pm. I am not sure what all he is handling now, I know he does rainbow. He will PM you back usually in about 48hrs or less. Just depends how busy he is. Try Aaron again to.

Mystic Knight
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I actually msg'd him on here last night. He's already msg'd me back and we're working on it now. :clap:

rlcowboy
04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Jl Audio's 12W6 is one of the best sound quality sub wooders you can buy!! If u wanted SPL I would tell u to listen to XXX, but for SQ the W6 is sweet! Focal does make some nice comps, no doubt about it, the Utopias r maybe the BEST,but they're around $1,000! As far as comps go u need to go listen to them yourself! I did A-LOT of listening to a-lot of dif. comps before I went with the JL XR's. I had narrowed it down to the JL Audio XR'S,MB Quart Premiums, & the Alpine type X. Then I went back to all three one more time & listened again. All three of these r around the same price range,$400-$440. I use to installed Memphis but I just did'nt consider them for the SQ I wanted. Finally I went with the JL XR components because they sounded better than the Alpine type X but pretty similar with the MB Quart Premiums. The reason I went with the JL XR's over the MB Quarts is because,like u, I really wanted to match everything up & JL Audio's 12w6 sub is the best sounding SQ subwoofer I've heard, and if u read the reviews u will see a-lot of the big names & magazines say the same thing about that sub! Plus thier 500/1 amp gives u very clean power & puts out over700w rms. It also has a regulated power supply & another thing that pulled me in is that the 500/1 has a seperate parametric EQ just for the bass. So u can boost any particular frequency going to the sub & increase or decrease the bandwith of the boost. In other words u can tighten up your bass as much as u want, u will have total control over your bass & how it sounds vs. just hooking up a sub to an amp and just having a gain setting & a crossover to set. I'm in no way trying to talk u into going with JL, just sharing what I chose after doing a-lot of listening and research.
There r some real good manufactuers out there today who make some nice audio eqipment who u should listen to before spending a couple thousand dollars! Everyone has diferent preferences in what they like so it would'nt be right for ANYONE to say who u should & should'nt go with. I mean there r some brands that I call Pawn Shop brands witch I would tell u to stay away from but u sound like u can tell the diference between crap & quality. Good luck with the install and post some pictures as go along!

Gary S
04-12-2007, 03:52 AM
You said you wanted to hear from someone who worked in a shop. I've worked for a few, including a little company called JL Audio.

Polk SR Series:
The reviewer from CA&E said it's the best components he's ever tested. I can't ignore great reviews like that.

- Read a little further into that article. The Focals and Polks are super speakers, but in my opinion, they are overpriced. Note where he complains about it in the article... and he knows. Notice also that he is a speaker designer himself... he even mentions that he submitted a bid to Polk to design their speakers. Near the end, he said he would design speakers like that for his next customer. Guess who just a few of his customers are?

Cerwin Vega
PPI
Kicker
MTX
Orion

- and that's just a few... note the new Cerwin Vega V-max 65 and PPI 356cs top of the line components... designed to be used as a full-fledged component set or a coax. Note the felt treatment around the center of the mid... designed to combat reflections and smooth the response from the tweeter when mounted coaxially. Sound familiar? Do you smell what I'm cooking?!

These components are designed to compete with the Polks and Focals... and do it at half the price. The companies' amps and subs I mentioned are equally good bang for the buck products. They have some stuff that sounds as good as it looks.

But of course, his products are not the only best values in town... check out Pioneer (TS-720PRS) and Diamond's (6 series) lines before you buy.

genxx
04-12-2007, 05:23 AM
YES CA&E said that. But the 720PRS achieved a better subjective score through the same testing and Mag. So why are they not the best or tied with the Polks, it is subjective, it depends on every person. Everyone does not like the same thing. I will look at speakers a Mag says are good but would never buy them based on a Mag article. The user reviews have been mixed on the SR6500's. I have seen no bad user reviews of the 720PRS. Draw you on conclusions.

Yes I do like Polk. My entire home theater is Polk so don't even go to the you do not like Polks thing. The SR6500 are nice but for the price I would take the 720PRS or a Rainbow, Focal, Dyn set over them and others.

Scores by CA&E:
Subjective:
Polk-80 out of 100
720PRS-80.5 out of 100

Music Selection:
Polk 81 out of 100
720PRS 40.5 out of 50

DejaWiz
04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
note the new Cerwin Vega V-max 65 and PPI 356cs top of the line components... designed to be used as a full-fledged component set or a coax. Note the felt treatment around the center of the mid... designed to combat reflections and smooth the response from the tweeter when mounted coaxially. These components are designed to compete with the Polks and Focals... and do it at half the price.

That is very interesting indeed. I'm going to have to find a Cerwin dealer so I can audition them. And those PPI mids are frickin' tanks! Wouldn't mind auditioning those as well, but PPI dealers with good stock around here are about as scarce as can be.

I've auditioned the Diamond D6, the SR6500, just about every JL comp set (even from their TMA line), almost every Kicker comp set (except the SS), and almost every Alpine comp set.

D661A/S - were both a bit harsh on the highs (I could hear no difference), but overall quite detailed.

SR6500's - sounded like audio magic.... I'm really impressed with this set. I would have chosen them if they weren't priced so high. And the price seems to be their only drawback imo.

JL's - they start to sound good the more expensive the set, but then they become too pricey for what you get, IMO. Not really impressed.

Kickers - DS was eh so-so... kinda flat sounding. KS was much better than the DS in terms of midbass, but the highs seemed a smidge harsh. RS was pretty impressive on the lows and mids but not so much on the highs, I don't think they blended well, but pretty accurate overall with reproduction.

Alpines - (06 models) Type S actually surprised me...the lows were detailed and blended with the mids and highs rather well. Type R had much more midbass than the S, but the highs didn't seem to blend well. Type X blew me away... crystal clear from low to high and not in-your-face. (07 models) Type R impressed me since the ring tweets from the old X line now come with them... midbass seems softer than 06 model, a balanced set overall that reminds me of the X with more pronounced midbass. Wish the new SPX-17PRO set would hurry and make it to dealers..I'm very anxious to hear this set.

If I had the money to throw around, I'd go for some Germaniums. :naughty:

Mystic Knight
04-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Feel free to keep the conversations flowing. It all helps. Work has been killing me lately but I guess it's what pays the bills and allows me to have the fun I do. I'm hoping to hit a few local shops this weekend and do some listening. There's not a great deal of shops around here with a lot of high end equipment set up to listen to. I have a few in mind though that should allow me to listen to a few so I can either look into them further or mark them off the list.

Mystic Knight
04-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Spent the afternoon listening to Diamond, Boston, Alpine, and even Kicker at CarTunes (http://www.cartunesstereo.com). All run by a JL Audio 300/4 except a set of D9's run by a 500/4.

The D9's sounded great. The best of the bunch. The "overstocked discount" price they were running of $799 was still a bit much for me though. The xovers were works of art. They're freakin HUGE though! I was looking for a suitcase handle on them. :D

The Boston Pro 60's and the Diamond D6's were a close second. Both had a nice even sound and a great midbass. The Pro's were $499 and D6's were $399. I was really leaning towards the D6's until... PZT! One of the drivers blew. Oops. That doesn't leave me with a great impression of Diamond. I have no idea what those things have been through though.

Beyond that the others all left me wanting more. Even the PRS series from Pioneer.

After that we started talking about subs and amps. They're no longer carrying Diamond amps because they had so many problems with them. They're going to try a limited run of the new series coming out soon to see if they've improved. They're not carrying the Diamond subs anymore due to lack of sales, not quality issues. He recommended a JL Audio 12W6 run by a JL 500.1.

Final recommendations and prices:
Boston Pro 60's: $499
Boston SL60's: $249
JL 12W6: $459
JL 300/4: $399
JL 500/1: $449

That puts me a little over the 2G mark. I know I could get better prices online if I really wanted to go with this setup. It was good to get out and start listening though.

audiolife
04-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Car tunes in Detroit? http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/997/image001ql2.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image001ql2.jpg)
if you could get avi i would those things were sweeet. becarefull about falling in love with what you hear on a demo board...time you get it in your vehicle they could sound 100% different.

Mystic Knight
04-13-2007, 10:38 PM
HO-LEE SHIIIIIZT!!!! I USED TO HAVE THAT SHIRT! You just made my night man. I TOTALLY forgot about that thing! Where'd you get it? That has to be from like the early to mid 90's.

I know what you mean about the boards. Half the people say "Don't listen to the reviews. You have to lisen to them yourself". The others say "Speakers on a board never sound like they will in a car". Well if someone can show me a shop that has all the speakers installed in cars in their lot I'll be more than happy to go there. Until then reviews and listening to speakers on boards is all I have.

audiolife
04-14-2007, 12:00 AM
reason i say that is the "best" stuff is put into position to sound best. if you want to hear it get out of axis with it and play material you are used too. (i used to set up sound boards at a couple shops i worked at) i got that shirt at a sound off their in 97.

Mystic Knight
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Their board was pretty high so almost everything was off axis. The D6's were almost 6' apart from each other and a couple feet above my head. The D9's about 4' and 1 level lower, The Bostons were even farther apart. The room is only about 5' deep so it's difficult to be on axis with anything but the ones directly in the center. After standing in the center I stepped off to one side to put myself directly in front of one side. I don't know if I could have done anything more.

Gary S
04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
If the Bostons' have metal tweets, sounds like you like metal tweeters.. I know the D6 are metal. The Cerwin Vegas' would be a step up from the D6.

Mystic Knight
04-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Adding a new piece to the puzzle here. I was looking at some of the talk about the Mags and the Sundown Audio amps. I'm not real familiar with the brands but I can't seem to find a complaint about them. Anyone have some input on these?

tmoney
04-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Adding a new piece to the puzzle here. I was looking at some of the talk about the Mags and the Sundown Audio amps. I'm not real familiar with the brands but I can't seem to find a complaint about them. Anyone have some input on these?

i see lots of people here likes the sundowns. seems to be very strong. im sure some owners will chime in.

genxx
04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
For components not as if its not confusing enough. Look at Hybrid Audio Technologies. http://www.hybrid-audio.com

Mystic Knight
04-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Only got a quick chance to check those out but it looks like they're not even available till the end of this year. Besides, I work in the auto industry. One thing you learn, never buy something in it's first year of production....

Gary S
04-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Besides, I work in the auto industry. One thing you learn, never buy something in it's first year of production....

- Most car audio product models change / are only available for a year... in fact, some products come out as often as every six months.

Mystic Knight
04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
That's true. I was just afraid of a company that seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I read checked out their site a little more closely last night though. Good to see some guys that think they can do things better actually try. Especially if they're American :D. Nothing against some of the high quality forgein companies that make quality products. It'd just be nice to find a US company I could support. And knowing the background of the guys running it I'm sure they'll sound great.

genxx
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
The HAT speakers are suppossed to be pretty impressive, been reading abou them over on DIY. There team has won a bunch of stuff all the way to the world finals. They are very resanably priced. I will let you know-I am taking the plunge and going to try a 3-way set-up from them the L1+L4+L6 set-up. If I like them as good or better then they will be replacing my Rainbow Profi Van in SQ truck, if not they gone in the wifes SUV and I will enjoy them there. Its a win/win situation.
Look at the link spring specials got some good deals. Can put a 3-way Legatia set-up together for a little over 600.00 new.

6spdcoupe
04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I actually msg'd him on here last night. He's already msg'd me back and we're working on it now. :clap:

Yes we are. :)

BTW did you just try calling me?

genxx
04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I would keep working with 6spdcoupe to. He can help you get the perfect set-up for your truck. Sells great equipment and has tons of knowledge.

Definitely did not mean to steer you another direction. Thought you where still in the undecided phase.

Mystic Knight
04-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes we are. :)

BTW did you just try calling me?

Nope, wasn't me.
Anxiously waiting to see what you've come up with... :yumyum:

Mystic Knight
04-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I would keep working with 6spdcoupe to. He can help you get the perfect set-up for your truck. Sells great equipment and has tons of knowledge.

Definitely did not mean to steer you another direction. Thought you where still in the undecided phase.

Well nothing's set in stone but I'd definitly considering the Rainbows.

DejaWiz
04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Well nothing's set in stone but I'm definitly considering the Rainbows.

glücklich glücklich freude freude!

/Ren&StimpyMantraInRainbow'sHomeCountryLanguage

:D :clap: :boink: :applause: :peace: :hapydanc: :thumbsup:

:yes:

Good choice!

genxx
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I do love my Rainbows. I might be biased though.

Beat_Dominator
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Spent the afternoon listening to Diamond, Boston, Alpine, and even Kicker at CarTunes (http://www.cartunesstereo.com). All run by a JL Audio 300/4 except a set of D9's run by a 500/4.

The D9's sounded great. The best of the bunch. The "overstocked discount" price they were running of $799 was still a bit much for me though. The xovers were works of art. They're freakin HUGE though! I was looking for a suitcase handle on them. :D

The Boston Pro 60's and the Diamond D6's were a close second. Both had a nice even sound and a great midbass. The Pro's were $499 and D6's were $399. I was really leaning towards the D6's until... PZT! One of the drivers blew. Oops. That doesn't leave me with a great impression of Diamond. I have no idea what those things have been through though.

Beyond that the others all left me wanting more. Even the PRS series from Pioneer.

After that we started talking about subs and amps. They're no longer carrying Diamond amps because they had so many problems with them. They're going to try a limited run of the new series coming out soon to see if they've improved. They're not carrying the Diamond subs anymore due to lack of sales, not quality issues. He recommended a JL Audio 12W6 run by a JL 500.1.

Final recommendations and prices:
Boston Pro 60's: $499
Boston SL60's: $249
JL 12W6: $459
JL 300/4: $399
JL 500/1: $449

That puts me a little over the 2G mark. I know I could get better prices online if I really wanted to go with this setup. It was good to get out and start listening though.

I personally love the D9 components, people seem to try to give them a bum rap but I doubt they've actually heard them.

6spdcoupe
04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I personally love the D9 components, people seem to try to give them a bum rap but I doubt they've actually heard them.

I have more times than I care to remember and I concur with the rap that they get. Its well deserved. :)

Beat_Dominator
04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
I have more times than I care to remember and I concur with the rap that they get. Its well deserved. :)

Please explain. What do/don't they do to your liking?

Beat_Dominator
04-19-2007, 01:44 AM
....or not :crap:

Mystic Knight
04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Give him a while to answer. I don't think he gets to check the forums too often.

Beat_Dominator
04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Lol Don? He's a regular forum ho! :p:

6spdcoupe
04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
:woot:

Mystic Knight
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Haha. I know he's on here a lot. Just not sure how often he checks this topic. I'm getting real anxious to hear back from him.

6spdcoupe
04-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Haha. I know he's on here a lot. Just not sure how often he checks this topic. I'm getting real anxious to hear back from him.

I have something pretty much worked out for ya sir, wanna gimme a call tomorrow?

Mystic Knight
04-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Talked to Don today. I have to give it some thought. I'll probably figure out what I'm going to do in a week or two.

Beat_Dominator
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Don tried to triple your budget didn't he? :p:

6spdcoupe
04-20-2007, 04:08 PM
No, actually a bit below it hater. :p:

Beat_Dominator
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
You sure do aim to please.

Mystic, tell us what you decide and provide pictures when you get it!

Mystic Knight
04-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the help Don. I'm going to listen to a few more things tomorrow at another local shop. Now that I have an idea of what I can get from Don I'm going to measure a few things in the truck and start figuring out where I'm going to put everything.

Besides the system I just installed a new carb, bought all the parts to install a limited-slip rear end, and received the rest of my LED lighting from Street Issue Customs. Can you say BUSY? :D

Mystic Knight
04-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Well I didn't get chance to go to the shop on Saturday so it'll have to wait till later. I did spend quite a long time talking to Don again last night though. I'm now leaning in the direction of Rainbow speakers and and Audison LRX 6.9 amp. :D

Thanks again Don for taking all the time to talk to me. It really makes a difference when I'm deciding who I want to work with. Some other shops and distributors could learn a few things from you.

genxx
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
I just picked up a couple of the audison LRx series. Very happy with them, I like them a little better than my ARC even. The Rainbows are just flat hard to beat.IMO Looks like you are doing your homework. I wish you all the best of luck. Nice thread on the updates.

Mystic Knight
07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
As always, things are going a little slower than expected. I drove the truck to it's first show with open headers. Talk about loud! After the show we got it back in the garage and sprayed a coat of black DP90 primer/sealer on it for the summer. Over the next week or so we'll be trying to take care of a bunch of electrical issues that have popped up. Kind of important stuff to take care of before I start doing the stereo stuff.

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05007.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05013.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05015.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05016.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05021.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05029.jpg

http://www.oaktowntrucks.com/photogallery/albums/projects/91_Jimmy_Progress_New/DSC05023.jpg

Now you guys can start to see what I've seen in my head for years. :)

DejaWiz
07-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Looking good bud!

Mystic Knight
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry I kinda dissapeared guys. The truck's driving now but I'm having all sorts of electrical problems. I'm working them out one at a time. Once I get all the basic stuff working and dependable I'll be able to concentrate on the audio setup more.

I just read a review of some Rainbow components in CA&E. I thought they would have rated better than they did. Anyone else see that?

BassAce
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry I kinda dissapeared guys. The truck's driving now but I'm having all sorts of electrical problems. I'm working them out one at a time. Once I get all the basic stuff working and dependable I'll be able to concentrate on the audio setup more.

I just read a review of some Rainbow components in CA&E. I thought they would have rated better than they did. Anyone else see that?

Yea I read that review, they gave it a 67/100 I believe. I would expect it to have a higher rating, although they were also reviewing some more expensive stuff along with the rainbows.

Beat_Dominator
07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Electric issues stink.....patience is the key ;)

Mystic Knight
07-26-2007, 06:50 PM
What the hell was that? ^ Moderator...

Mystic Knight
11-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Well it's been a while since I've posted anything. It was a busy summer but now the truck's in the garage for the winter. I've picked up a nice set of leather and suede seats from a Cadillac CTS-V. They'll take a lot of work to get in but should look great once it's done. I also picked up a center console from a Cadillac SRX with a Panasonic DVD player installed. That'll give the interior a nice high-end factory finish.

On an audio note, I've been talking to Don again. I think this is the final decision on the setup...

Amps:
Rainbow iPaul DM2000
Rainbow iPaul 4.300

Sub:
Rainbow Amboss 12

Front Stage:
6.5" Germs

Rear Fill:
5.25" DreamLine Coax's

genxx
11-29-2007, 06:05 AM
Congrates man. Looks like you made some good progress this summer and the gear looks like a great choice. Truck sounds sweet ready to see the finished picks of the entire thing.

Mystic Knight
11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Ya. It's still got a loooong way to go before it's a totally dependable ride. Here's a condensed list of things that need to be finished up...

Fix radiator fans (Died half way between Akron, OH, and Detroit)
Fix or replace heads (bolt snapped off in one)
Return all the LED lighting (I've had problems with over 50% of them)
Install the replacement LEDs
Modify all the seats to fit, then install
Order new carpet

After all of that I can finally start working on the center console, kicks, and dash. Once that's done I'll finally be able to start installing components. It's still a long way out. I'm purchasing the components now so I can use them to mock things up.

DejaWiz
11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
On an audio note, I've been talking to Don again. I think this is the final decision on the setup...

Amps:
Rainbow iPaul DM2000
Rainbow iPaul 4.300

Sub:
Rainbow Amboss 12

Front Stage:
6.5" Germs

Rear Fill:
5.25" DreamLine Coax's

Some sound decisions there. :cool:

Mystic Knight
11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. I can't thank Don enough too. He's been a big help.

Now for the next question...

I have to start looking at wire, interconnects, etc. Any recommendations? I've seen a few different options on here besides what the local Best Buy or Circuit City offers. I've even heard people talk about using welding wire. I'm going to probably do 0ga to a 4ga split.

Bumpin'Buick
11-29-2007, 10:58 AM
For the power/ground wire etc, a lot of ppl like to go with the Kicker kit because it it so flexable.

I've used the Knukoncepts kit and I'm happy with it, they also have a new fleks cable out as well.