PDA

View Full Version : Need alarm recommendation for van

Paul73
03-22-2007, 09:26 PM
It is a 97 Dodge 2500 cargo van. Its my work truck and it has nearly 10 grand worth of tools in at any given time....I have been lucky so far and my business insurance covers me for tool loss but I could do without the headache of having my **** stolen. It does not have power windows or locks and only has windows in the very rear and front doors. I intend to put steel security screens in the back ones. I would also like remote start and two way but they are not top priority, would rather have a bullet proof alarm with a starter interrupt versus belss and whistles. Also need a loud *** siren for times when I'm on a commercial jobsite and there is heavy equipment running all the time.

Paul73
03-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Ok then....This place gets less traffic than a condom store in Vatican City.

Any of the pros have a system they recommend?

nbudros
03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I suggest a less expensive viper.

get one with remote start and all that, they have failsafe starter killer.
steel cage is a must i think... if they cant move your van, and cant get to the tools your ok...

Paul73
03-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the input. How is DEI's two way function compared to others? What about the siren...should the "stock" one be OK or should I just plan on an aftermarket one?

lrgnation
03-28-2007, 12:53 AM
I know this sounds awkward. But tint the windows out. If they do not know whats in there there is a less of a chance of them stealing it. After than put on the cage. The siren that it comes with is generally sufficient however for you I would add a few more piezo sirens on the interior of the van near the back doors and underneath each side of the dash. Piezo sirens can be found like ebay i think between 10-20$. The two way function I have heard is not the great, but i do not have first experience. Depends on the locations and such, plus if your doing a lot of construction type work than you probably wont tell that the 2way is paging your pocket.

TunedPerfect
03-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a DEI Python 990 ST with the "mile range" 2 way and its pretty good. I park my truck in the middle of Springfield everyday and night and nobody touches it. I have components, amps and subwoofers visible.

I have a dozen piezo sirens and believe me you can hear it for blocks. The van is very easy to install in as well. I would also get the extra shock sensors for the back of the van, and possibly a glass breakage sensor, they are kind of a pain in the ***, but might save you in the end.

DEI is one of the top companies out there and I completely trust my system will protect my truck. Oh and you can put the pager in your pocket and set it to vibrate and you will feel it guaranteed.

jbl_marshall21
03-30-2007, 12:52 AM
a viper 5900 is 2 way security remote start with a mile range

viper 791vx is the same only with quarter mile.