PDA

View Full Version : JL ZR650's vs MB Q216

TheGarageMaster
03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I have never heard the JL's (Yes I know I need to) vs the MB Quarts. I have them and love them (MB'S) they are 2004 model and I know the company has been sold several times over. They have the new hand made 216's which I assume is safe but the JL's are suppose to be as good.
Please don't post about others brands I have the choice down to these 2.

chucku
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Ive heard stay away from new MBQ, I have 2 pair of 7yr old MBQ reference speakers and they are loud. Ive tamed the tweets with my 880 but Im thinking of running something softer with silk tweets. Im a Jl fan but didnt really like the sound of them. I like the new boston acoustics and morel comps Ive listened to but their around $500. Buy the one you think sounds best within your budget.

plazma
03-22-2007, 10:08 PM
i think the ZRs are over rated, especially for the cost... MB Quarts **** now (they were good like 10+ years ago)... i would buy neither.. especially since the ZRs are 700 a pair.. screw that.. i think the XRs sound way better than the ZRs...

you dont have to pay the most to get the best sound... too bad you are too stuck on those two brands... there are alot of good speakers out there for alot less money

TheGarageMaster
03-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I love my MB's because the tweets are very bright. I was told by a JL dealer the JL's are bright but have a better mid. He also carries the MB's and he likes them both, my choice as well as the Boston's those were his favorites he isn't pushing any of the above. I get them at cost so money isn't the issue I know I like the MB's but everything else I have is JL JL and JL.

plazma
03-22-2007, 10:38 PM
The MBs are way too bright for my tastes.. on the virge of being ear bleeding

The ZRs arent nearly as bright.. i would go with the XRs if you got JL... cause the mids are alot warmer and the highs are just right on the XR series... i think the ZRs are lacking a little something in the mid area

not sure how much cost is on those.. but i think the elemental designs 6500s blow all of those speakers out of the water.. plus having a 5 year warranty on them is something none of them can touch, in case they blow or whatever