PDA

View Full Version : Midbass question.

mackin13
03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I have a Toyota Tundra Truck.

My first question is...

I just got a 2 channel amp for my stereo... This didnt occur to me until a few minutes ago. Im going to have to wire my left speakers and right speakers in parrallel to this 2 channel amp cutting the load from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. Should i expect to hear a difference in SQ due to the lower impedance?

Second.

I want to install a set of 4 inch midbass drivers and i have been told that positioning is everything for midbass. My plan was to have my tweets and midbass drivers mounted in one of those 'aimed' Q-Logic enclosures and my 6.5 inch driver in the door. Does this sound like a good idea? Or should my woofers be in the Q-Form and my midbass in the doors?

Third:

How important is tweeter positioning? I can either put them on the dash, or in the door panel (about elbow level). The door panel will be much easier, but will the dash positioning be that much better?

Thanks

-mack

lrgnation
03-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Third:

How important is tweeter positioning? I can either put them on the dash, or in the door panel (about elbow level). The door panel will be much easier, but will the dash positioning be that much better?

I only know that tweeter positioning is crucial. You could end up with a horrible sound or a really good sound. See if you can locate what other people have done or if you have the ability to test them in different locations.

You will notice a difference in SQ from being at a lower impedence.

The Q-logic kick panels are decent, however if you the ability to make your own you might be better off. If you pick the q- logic you are going to want to strength them by adding fiberglass because I have been told they are quite flimsy. It is possibly they don't come as an enclosure so you want to make it an enclosure for the midbass and tweets. Does not generally have to be large at all as long as it has some sort of sealed space behind them both.

mackin13
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Is the difference in SQ worth sending my amp back for a 4 channel?

squeak9798
03-23-2007, 12:57 AM
I have a Toyota Tundra Truck.

My first question is...

I just got a 2 channel amp for my stereo... This didnt occur to me until a few minutes ago. Im going to have to wire my left speakers and right speakers in parrallel to this 2 channel amp cutting the load from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. Should i expect to hear a difference in SQ due to the lower impedance?

No, you will not hear a difference in sound quality due to the lower impedance.

Assuming you are referring to having to wire both front and rear left speakers in parallel to one channel and both front and rear right speakers in parallel to the other channel....you will, however, lose your ability to fade and all of the speakers will receive equal amounts of power (assuming they are all the same impedance). Depending on your sound preferences, this may impact the overall sound quality of the system.

What speakers are you using that are 8ohm?

Second.

I want to install a set of 4 inch midbass drivers and i have been told that positioning is everything for midbass. My plan was to have my tweets and midbass drivers mounted in one of those 'aimed' Q-Logic enclosures and my 6.5 inch driver in the door. Does this sound like a good idea? Or should my woofers be in the Q-Form and my midbass in the doors?

4" midbass....or midrange? Being 4", I'm presuming you mean midrange and using the 6.5" drivers for midbass. In which case yes aiming and pathlengths are "important" for the 4" driver. How important they are in your install again depends on what you are trying to achieve. The closer to sonic perfection you want to be, the more important they are.

Also, is all of this a prepackaged 3-way passive component set? If not, how do you intend on setting all of this up as far as crossovers/amplifier channels are concerned?

Lastly, your plan of using kickpanels for the midrange and tweeters and placing the midbass in the door is a pretty good plan. Midbass is sensitive to time arrival differences...so with placing the 6.5" drivers in doors it would be beneficial if you had/used time alignment.

But as was mentioned above, if you want to use QLogics for the midrange (4" drivers) you will want to reinforce them. QLogics are hit and miss as far as aiming is concerned, IMO. Some are aimed decently....some not-so-decently.....plus aiming will be dependent on the speakers you are using aswell. So if you have the ability/desire to build your own kickpanels, that might be a better option.

Third:

I would try them in the kicks with the tweeters first, personally. But tweeters are so easy to relocate it really is just a matter of grabbing some velcro and trying them out in different locations and seeing which you think sounds best.