PDA

View Full Version : Madisound Trip: What to buy

Hintzyboy
03-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, Madisound is about an hour away from where I live, so I'll be taking a trip over there next Thursday to buy what should be the last pieces of equipment for my system.

I am trying to decide between the following mids:

-Peerless Exclusive 830883
-Seas P18RNX
-Seas CA18RNX

Price doesn't matter much because there 's only about a $40 difference between a pair of the CA's and the Exclusives.

However, there are a couple limitations. These will be going in the stock door locations for now, minimal deadening. This is because I'll be gettinga new car this summer and don't want to go through the trouble of building pods right now. Also, the mids will be paired up with a pair of Rainbow CAL25ALK tweeters and will most likely not be on-axis.

What do you guys think??

MiniVanMan
03-22-2007, 06:22 PM
The CAs will be much easier to work with for now, and will give decent midbass with just a solid baffle. The Exclusives will require more attention to detail, but after the work is done will sound better. The P18s will be a nice compromise between the two others.

Hintzyboy
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
One more question. I see you have the G18s. How do those compare with the ones I have listed and where can you get them?

mvw2
03-22-2007, 07:12 PM
The Seas paper will give you the most natural and smooth sound. The Seas poly will be softer and warmer and is the only standard woofer that uses the adaptive surround used in the Excel woofers. The Exclusives are more detailed than the Seas options and will provide better clarity. They're all great speakers, but the small variations will determine which will fit your tastes best.

A good read:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9237

thadman
03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Exclusives have the lowest distortion (near Scanspeak levels)

AVSTANG02
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Before you drive the hour make sure they have it in stock.

MiniVanMan
03-23-2007, 05:33 PM
One more question. I see you have the G18s. How do those compare with the ones I have listed and where can you get them?

I love the G18s. I used the CA18s prior and I like the G18s more. Not to say I didn't like th CA18s. I really liked them as well. Just a little better midrange clarity with the G18s, and midbass is a little tighter.

Hebrew Hammer
03-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Exclusives have the lowest distortion (near Scanspeak levels)

regardless of low distortion..they sound nothing like a scan..don't come anywere close..... why not do the nextels?

Hintzyboy
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Before you drive the hour make sure they have it in stock.

I'm going down there for the day anyway. If they don't have what i want, no big deal. I have a number of possible options, so i doubt they'll be out of stock on everything.

Hintzyboy
03-23-2007, 07:27 PM
I love the G18s. I used the CA18s prior and I like the G18s more. Not to say I didn't like th CA18s. I really liked them as well. Just a little better midrange clarity with the G18s, and midbass is a little tighter.

Any chance you'd be willing to part with them??

Hintzyboy
03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
regardless of low distortion..they sound nothing like a scan..don't come anywere close..... why not do the nextels?

Would love to, but don't have the cash. Can't really afford to spend more than $100 per mid right now.