PDA

View Full Version : A few comments on the Oppo DV-981HD DVD player

docutech
03-22-2007, 10:17 AM
:yumyum:

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_collage.jpg

Untill the BllueRay vs. HD war is over I decided to invest in a good upconverting dvd player. My initial purchase was the $79 Samsung DVD-960HD which quite frankly was a piece of $hit. It would lock up when switched to 1080p during a movie and would often lock up completely to where I needed to pull the power cord in order to reset it. I should have followed my "you get what you pay for" instinct.

The Oppo arrived last week. Inside the box, everything needed to get things hooked up including a HDMI cable. The player even has its own heavy nylon bag to keep it nice and new when in transport. $241 delivered to my door.

Hooked it up via HDMI and my Denon receiver and began to go throug the menu to get things set up. A nice option the Oppo has that the Samsung didnt have is video output memory. Once you set the resolution, 1080p for example, it stays there. On the Samsung would need to set the resolution to 1080p everytime a new movie was inserted (thus the lockups)
Burned DVD's +/- DVD R's work great. No skipping or freezing up. The DVD player also supports SACD format audio discs, I havent tried it yet but I am looking for a good SACD album to throw in it. Suggestions are welcomed. For SACD's there is a sleu of audio settings to get the sound you expect from a SACD. The LCD display is clear and very easy to read. The format of media being played is also displayed on the LCD display. One pet peeve: The annoyingly bright backlight around the "Eject" button. It is very bright especialy during a show at night with the lights low.

Picture quality is great. It is no comparison to HD or BlueRay on my PS3 for that matter but for 240 bucks it is very very nice. If you have a nice TV and are not willing to shell out hundreds for a HD or BR player, give this Oppo a onceover. I am very happy with this unit so far.

Any questions? Feel free to ask away...

Here is a link to the Oppo:
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/index.html

JimJ
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
How does it work for audio?

I'm thinking about buying one, I really couldn't care less about the video part but I need a good SACD/CD player.

docutech
03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
To take full advantage of the HDMI's Super Audio features I need to get my hands on a SACD. Regular CD's sound fine but I have a CD player for that. I searched borders and Barnes & Noble but all they have are Hybrids. As much as I hate to do it, I will step foot in BB and see what they have. SACD's are becoming scarce.
JimJ, any suggestions for a well produced album? I will try to find it in the Super Audio format.

JimJ
03-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Anything by Dire Straits would be a good choice.

docutech
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Alright then. I Will see what I can do.

adam71
03-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Anything by Dire Straits would be a good choice.

What do they have out on SACD??

JimJ
03-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Brothers in Arms...about all I can find :(

docutech
03-23-2007, 11:52 AM
What do they have out on SACD??

Yep, thats all I could find as well...

joetama
03-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I have been thinking about picking up the Oppo that upconverts to 1080i, mainly because my Pioneer only does 480p :(.

I might have to do it!!!

LeofromtheH
03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
cduniverse.com carries sacd's i believe. you should try checking there

thylantyr
03-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Oppo arigatō, Mr. Roboto ........................... :)

docutech
03-25-2007, 11:38 AM
cduniverse.com carries sacd's i believe. you should try checking there

Thanks for the link!! They have a TON of SACD's :yumyum:

docutech
03-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Oppo arigatō, Mr. Roboto ........................... :)

Cute

docutech
03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
One pet peeve: The annoyingly bright backlight around the "Eject" button. It is very bright especialy during a show at night with the lights low.

After closer inspection of the setup menu, I found a option to dim or turn the display off completely. I set it on dim and the annoying bright eject button is gone :)

PatFitz9
03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I have the same player, and i love it. and since my DVD player isn't really visible when watching a movie (off to the side) I kind of like the bright eject button. it makes it look expensive :P

quakerroatmeal
03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
They finally got a black version? I always thought it came in silver only. Some people say the oppo 1080p upconvert has a lot of macro blocking issues. Do you have any comments on that problem? What TV are you using this with?