PDA

View Full Version : help looking for a reciever

pwnt by pat
03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
So I'm thinking of putting together a small ht setup. What it would consist of is a left, right, and sub channel, a simple 2.1.

I've been looking for a semi-decent budget reciever. All I really need in it is toslink input, 50w@8ohms/channel, and a rca subwoofer output.

I was looking at a couple denon units on ebay and they're 2-channel but don't have toslink or subwoofer output (appear to).

My budget would be around $250.

JimJ
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
"Home theater" usually implies five channels, just FYI.

I'd just search using the Toslink input as a criteria, it's definitely going to narrow down what you can get. Subwoofer outputs are irrelevant if you're using a plate amp, as almost all have high-level inputs anyway.

joetama
03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Most decent subs/plate amps have a Left & Right input. You don't need to have a sub out to use a sub, just make sure it has a left right pre-out.

A lot of hardcore Hi-Fi guys do this anyway because they think it sounds better... :fyi:

pwnt by pat
03-21-2007, 11:40 PM
That's what I intended to use but in the specs didn't list any kind of preamp output...

JimJ
03-21-2007, 11:41 PM
I've never owned anything that has a sub out...works fine...:) But then again, I've never owned a receiver anyway :crazy:

pwnt by pat
03-21-2007, 11:44 PM
I wasn't sure if there was any real difference between a sub channel output or preamp output besides a built in crossover.

What do you use instead? dedicated cd player/changer to amp?

joetama
03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Jim is a tube nut.... Pre-Amp is the word that would be used....

pwnt by pat
03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Oh that was known :) Solid State is good enough for me for this project.

JimJ
03-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Tube geeks aren't the only ones that use seperates - Beat_Dominator has had some nice SS pre's...much wub :inlove:

dedicated cd player/changer

Pretty soon, won't be using one of those either...:)

joetama
03-22-2007, 01:05 AM
Tube geeks aren't the only ones that use seperates - Beat_Dominator has had some nice SS pre's...much wub :inlove:

Pretty soon, won't be using one of those either...:)

Yea... And a processor is just a multichannel pre-amp...

;)

pwnt by pat
03-24-2007, 01:32 AM
well, I forgot I set an auction snipe on this unit. I can still not pay for it, I guess....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=140097732243

I was really reconsidering this project as a whole but if words are favorable for this unit, I might as well use it for my current speakers to replace the little logitech processor for the z680 set.