PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys, i'm confused- ht and home audio

t-money
03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
O.k, thanks to some of you guys, i now have an idea of what to buy, which is a receiver,centre channel and front speakers and rear speakers.I may be going with b&w.My question is, if i get a receiver that does say 100x7 or whatever, do i run my subwoofer off that same amp or do i need a plate amp? I'm not sure if i'm getting ht and home audio mixed up and if i should have them as two seperate things or wh at? sorry again for the noobishness

docutech
03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
a HT sub will have its own amp built in.

t-money
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
So why do i hear all this talk about running 15's and using a plate amp. **** i'm confused

Flipx99
03-21-2007, 02:01 PM
If you DIY

I bought this $25 sub from eD and I built my own box and power it with a small Dayton Amp. You use the "SUBWOOFER OUT" on the reciever and connect to the "RCA IN" on the plate amp.

JimJ
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure if i'm getting ht and home audio mixed up and if i should have them as two seperate things or wh at?

The difference lies in what you use them for, basically. The way I distinguish it is "home theater" usually means you have five or more channels, and the user is primarily concerned with watching movies. "Home audio" is usually (but not always) two channel, and there doesn't need to be a TV involved.

That's it.

t-money
03-21-2007, 05:08 PM
The difference lies in what you use them for, basically. The way I distinguish it is "home theater" usually means you have five or more channels, and the user is primarily concerned with watching movies. "Home audio" is usually (but not always) two channel, and there doesn't need to be a TV involved.

That's it.

i do understand that part but is my ht and home audio supposed to be seperate? Should i be running different subs for my ht and my home audio.Reason i ask is i see people running like 1000 watts to their home audio subs through a plate amp and was wondering if i need that? SO is my ht and home audoi supposed to consists of seperate components(subs,receiver,etc). Like i mentioned, now my car audio is almost done, i would like to improve my home audio.

Scoobydoo
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
you can use the same setup for both, just run the receiver in stereo/direct/pcm mode instead of surround mode

t-money
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
you can use the same setup for both, just run the receiver in stereo/direct/pcm mode instead of surround mode

good, that what i was thinking and hoping. So i can also hook up a plate amp to my receiver and put out more power to the sub(s).What impedance are the plate amps or even the reveivers at? Almost done here guys, questions should be getting less and less

JimJ
03-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Receivers are usually rated for between 4 and 8 ohms, plate amps anywhere from 2 ohms and up. 1 ohm-rated plate amps aren't normally seen.

joetama
03-21-2007, 11:29 PM
A very good way to go for Car Audio guys is to build your own sub. Most of you already know how to build boxes and it is the same thing. Get a decent sub, build a box, get a amp and then hook up the pre-amp (receiver/headunit) and you are set!

And you can use this sub for either music or for movies. You do not need two subs.

t-money
03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
A very good way to go for Car Audio guys is to build your own sub. Most of you already know how to build boxes and it is the same thing. Get a decent sub, build a box, get a amp and then hook up the pre-amp (receiver/headunit) and you are set!

And you can use this sub for either music or for movies. You do not need two subs.

o.k good, so i don't need two 15's for my home audio. So what si a good 15 for home, i was thinking about a kicker cvx 15, are there better home audio subs that are cheaper. But i will need a plate amp to put out more power to the subs? I will probably buy the receiver(either denon or yamaha) then i will bu the surround sound speakers, then i will come back for more questions on a good plate amp and sub. Thanks for all the help

JimJ
03-22-2007, 10:46 AM
But i will need a plate amp to put out more power to the subs?

Yes.

Here's a little tip - look at the other threads in here :) I've answered these questions multiple times this week...

joetama
03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't go with a 15" unless you really really really really need a ton of low end.

A good sealed 12" or ported low 12" setup would be great.

What is your budget for the sub??? I might say Fi Q or something like that.