PDA

View Full Version : 2.1 for audio?

docutech
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
How many here enjoy their tunes in 2.1?

I have tried it both ways (with and without the sub) and I like the bass extension of the .1 channel.

Any thoughts?

Fast1one
03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
In most cases (depending on the music you listen to) a sub is a necessity to give the fullest experience possible. keep in mind a lot of music contains content well into the 20s and 30s....

Personally I love having a sub, Im such a bass head in car audio that i tend to bring that into my home as well :)

phyphoestilic
03-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I have a 5.1 system, but when i listen to music I usually turn the rear speakers off.

seagrasser
03-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Very much a 2.1 guy. Just finnished updating my system and love the results.

Jason

JimJ
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Two channels and a sub are all I need :)

docutech
03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Two channels and a sub are all I need :)

You were the last person here I thought would say that! Not to say that is a bad thing, just as a audio purist I didnt think you would feel the need for a .1 channel :naughty:

phyphoestilic
03-21-2007, 12:45 AM
You were the last person here I thought would say that! Not to say that is a bad thing, just as a audio purist I didnt think you would feel the need for a .1 channel :naughty:

The subs are required to get the lows. Just like in a car audio setup. A regular car setup is 2.1 if u really wanna think about it.

CrEaTrE
03-21-2007, 12:55 AM
the .1 is needed. It's amazing how much even a low powered yet SQ oriented sub can enhance a song. There are many notes that the 2 speakers cannot produce that will significantly improve the song. Thats just my .02 :yumyum:

JimJ
03-21-2007, 12:59 AM

Nah, subwoofers have their place :)...and while I've heard subless setups that sound very good, if you're playing an orchestral piece with large kettle drums or a bellowing organ note, you can't expect smaller drivers to move enough air to make it sound real.

The trick is supporting the lower octaves without drawing unnecessary attention to them and making it sound "boomy" and artificial...this is what a lot of people on this forum prefer :crap:

joetama
03-21-2007, 01:26 AM
With some stereo system a sub is not needed. When I listen to a good majority of music on my B&W 703s I turn my sub off. Mostly because I hate how it ruins the stereo imaging in the lower frequencies. I just need to get one more sub so I have stereo subs. But, I don't think it is that worth it. I do however think it depends on the speakers you have. :fyi:

docutech
03-21-2007, 01:32 AM
I do however think it depends on the speakers you have. :fyi:

I can listen to my Axioms alone and get great bass extension. The sub adds more realism and "feel" to that bellowing organ though...;)

joetama
03-21-2007, 02:06 AM
I can listen to my Axioms alone and get great bass extension. The sub adds more realism and "feel" to that bellowing organ though...;)

Maybe it is just me. LOL....

Anyway, 90% of setups I have heard the sub is too strong for me anyway. So, maybe it is me... :laugh:

Oh well...