PDA

View Full Version : Peerless

Dozy_production
03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
So looking at madisound i found myself looking at different types of peerless woofers. There are the regular lines and the automotive lines. Differences? Are the automotive line built to work in a more car environment (with axis response) and being sturdier? whats the deal eh?

djdilliodon
03-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Most of the time a car driver will have a higher qts for IB use and will use parts that withstand weather better. Also they are usually 4 ohm as well hehehe.

W8 a minute
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Madisound has the Peerless Definition component set that is pretty hard to beat for the price.

Dozy_production
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Well the location of the mids, if i were to put them in my car, would be well protected from light and rain. Would it be suggested to get the auto for better ib response or to have ib a 5.25 exclusive?

Btw... im going to eventually get some cdt es 06's for home use :)

df.dima
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Nothing wrong with using "home" drivers in the car, many people do with good results. They need some preventative measures so they don't get wet, they probably don't like that.

Exclusives are a great line of drivers.

hardhitta47
03-19-2007, 10:58 PM
I've heard the exclusives are the way to go. I know the 7" exclusives were out of stock on madisound, but I haven't checked lately.

df.dima
03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Other alternatives are Seas drivers.
As for Peerless, you can find a few other stores that carry them.
LMK if you need the sites, I don't remember, but I can find out.

Dozy_production
03-19-2007, 11:09 PM
no thanks. Im pretty set though to get myself some exclusives. Just was kinda interested in the automotive line. Hopfefully, when i finish my car payments ill have a pair5.25 exclusives in the front with a pair of cdt es-02 or cal 27 tweeters in the A-panels. I dont need too much output so a nice 12" peerless xxls woofer would finish it nicely.

pellis
03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I've heard the exclusives are the way to go. I know the 7" exclusives were out of stock on madisound, but I haven't checked lately.

madisound is still out of stock, they expect to have some by the end of march. i tried timbre audio also, they too were out of stock. i called solen and they had some, took less than 5 mins to order them today, great customer service, too.

Dozy_production
03-22-2007, 12:53 AM
anyone know how the 5.25's are eh?

Towncar
03-22-2007, 01:41 AM
This would be the peerless drivers ide get

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=6388690.28031&pid=1949

and here is a nice showdown..

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9616

MiniVanMan
03-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Like somebody else said, a driver generally specified as a "car audio" driver is usually a 4 ohm driver with some weatherproofing. Some may have a higher Qts, but not always the case. Like all specs, Qts can be misleading, and not always indicative of how a driver will react in a car.

Off-axis response is more a function of the size of the driver than anything. The surface area of the cone will tell you when the driver will start to beam, i.e. localize more on-axis than off. That being said, a 7" driver will never perform at 5000 hz off-axis as well as a 4" driver. So, when I hear that a 7" driver has great off-axis response, as opposed to another driver I have to say that it's probably going to have the same difference on-axis, and will generally manifest itself as more detailed midrange frequencies to begin with.

If you do have a 7" driver that has actual better off-axis response, i.e. plays flat to 2500 hz at 60 degrees off-axis as opposed to 2300 hz off-axis at 60 degrees, then I'll say that the cone has less surface area and will probably not extend as low as the driver with worse off-axis response. It's all give and take.

The Exclusives are a great driver, with great midrange clarity and a little better off-axis response. However, as stated above, what they gain on their top end, they sacrifice on the low end. If you're looking for a 5.5" driver with some midbass thump then you may be disappointed with the Exclusives. If you are running active crossovers with 18 or 24 db slopes, the Seas L14 or L15 is a great driver with very good midrange clarity, and some good low end thump. However, being an aluminum driver they are subject to nasty cone breakup, and you need some hefty crossover slopes to defeat it, and a tweeter than can extend down to around 2700 hz, which the Cal27 should do, then the L14/15 is hard to beat for a 2 way 5.5" midbass driver. The Exclusive is a much easier driver to work with though.

Dozy_production
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
thanks for your response minivanman. I know im asking almost obvious questions. I know that the 7" driver will tend to have more output in the lower frequencies than the 5.25" driver. I think im going to have a Kicker CVX or Peerless xxls woofer to blend in with my frontstage.

I guess what im trying to ask is if the peerless exclusive 5.25 will perform well from about 120 - 1250(ish") hz area. Thats all i need it for really. Im searching more and eventually, when i have enough money, just grow some balls and make a purchase. Unfortunately i will have to play these guys off axis because my BMW doesnt allow any space for kicks.

For tweeter duty i was thinking about buying the cdt es 02. I can afford to build some pods on the a pillar area. They claim that you can xover at around 500 - 1000 depending on what slopes. I have an prs880 so i dont think crossing around 1000 will NOT be a problem :)

Again thanks for the response.

MiniVanMan
03-22-2007, 12:07 PM
They claim that you can xover at around 500 - 1000 depending on what slopes.

You're welcome, but first, that above statement, even if it's made by CDT is not entirely true. It's still a 26 mm (1") tweeter. They look like they designed it almost as a wideband minidriver. It might play 500 hz, but it won't sound good, and power handling will be next to nothing. 1250 might be a little easier on it, but if you're going with a 5.5" driver to begin with, then start looking at the 2-2.5 khz range. The Exclusive is more than capable at those frequencies, and you'll notice very little to no loss due to off-axis response. It will be easier on your tweeters, and provide them more power handling. If you can actually get 1250 out of those tweeters with no problems, then I say the L15 should be the driver for you.

As for your question of 120 hz, yes they will do just fine. With a high enough slope you might get 90-100 hz out of them.

Dozy_production
03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks again minivan. You've helped me get an idea what to do to upgrade my 5.25 co-axil system for now. if it can even be referred to a system on this site)

It seems like my first step would be to get some sort of sub to fill in the lower gaps that exist already (because i dont know if i can listen to music with hpf on at 120hz for too long :) ) and then goin on from there.

The great advantage of goin active is if i dont like the peerless or seas (in all the available circumstances) its only another $100 -150 to correct. :) Thanks mate.

T3mpest
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks again minivan. You've helped me get an idea what to do to upgrade my 5.25 co-axil system for now. if it can even be referred to a system on this site)

It seems like my first step would be to get some sort of sub to fill in the lower gaps that exist already (because i dont know if i can listen to music with hpf on at 120hz for too long :) ) and then goin on from there.

The great advantage of goin active is if i dont like the peerless or seas (in all the available circumstances) its only another $100 -150 to correct. :) Thanks mate.

you may have been browsing this site already, but www.diymobileaudio.com is a site dedicated to this stuff. Lots of knowledgable posters.

Dozy_production
03-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes, i even bough the BG neo3 planar tweeters.

But i guess feel more at home here. Definitely have been reading up the tutorials and reviews from that site though.

Hintzyboy
03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I'll actually be stopping by Madisound next week to kick up some Seas P18s or Peerless Exclusives. Anything you want me to compare while i'm there? They have a sound room, but I don't know what products they have set up.

Dozy_production
03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
sure man that would be pretty cool. IS madisound an actual store or more like storage house that have sound boards for the occasional customers?

IF you could check out the L15 against the 5.25 exclusives? Nothing really to change my mind but a comparison would be interesting if your willing. thanks :)

Hintzyboy
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
They are an online warehouse, and that's how they do most of their business that way. But they have a little shop area with sound boards set up for people to come in and listen to stuff.

I'll definitely compare those two if they have them set up in the sound board.