PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio

chibahawk
03-18-2007, 11:49 PM
What should I check out if I want to try and put together my own home audio setup?

Or are there good prefab setups etc?

JimJ
03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Moved to the correct section...

How much of a budget do you have?

Audio Junkies
03-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Man, in NYC you have a lot of access to hear some great stuff. Make it to the Home Entertainment Show in May and you'll be able to hear tons of stuff in person and get an idea for what you like and what is affordable to you.

www.homeentertainment-expo.com/

Like Jim asked... budget?

Also, stereo or surround?

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
im guessin surround. im gettin a new 42"-50" rear projection LCD for 1080p. So im guessin Surround is what I want.

My only experience with home audio is goin with my dad to buy a 27" CRT TV and 5.1 speakers. We bought a prefab Sony setup for more than the TV cost and weren't too happy.

Basically. I'm not looking to hurt the neighbor's ear drums. I'm not looking to hear a pin drop if an extra drops it on the set of Die Hard. I just want probably 4 good speakers and a sub.

So I'm looking bang for the buck and DIY stuff but hopefully having a total that's around $400-600. Hopefully less.

JimJ
03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
How much are you spending on the TV?

Now compare that to the speakers.

See the disconnect? :)

Fast1one
03-20-2007, 12:37 AM
If your handy with wood and crossover units there are several projects in parts express http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.cfm

If the thought of building your own crossover units is daunting, you can go fullrange with 5 tang band W3-871s, two of them in these enclosures http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47403 for your fronts. This is what I was going to go with, and probably will eventually. You will still need a sub obviously...

Those are just a few choices....thats my contribution for DIYers....

Edit: Of course as Jim pointed out, theres no point in going full HD if your sound stage is going to lack...

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
aha i love it ... audiophiles make me want to spend more dough.

see im not overly picky but yea I definitely don't want to break the bank on the speakers.

help me cover the basic first.

i'll need a receiver/amp/dvd unit.
will I need 4 speakers? and like place two behind me in the corners and then two up front for the center and then a sub?

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 12:59 AM
p.s. im spending about 1200-1500 on the new tv. probably getting a good deal.

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 10:46 AM
you can go fullrange with 5 tang band W3-871s, two of them in these enclosures http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47403 for your fronts. This is what I was going to go with, and probably will eventually. You will still need a sub obviously...

Those are just a few choices....thats my contribution for DIYers....

Edit: Of course as Jim pointed out, theres no point in going full HD if your sound stage is going to lack...

Aha you guys are killing me man - I don't want to blow wads of cash. I like the look of 5 of those tang band speakers.

So let's say I pick up 5 of those. That's about $100.
Then I would need a receiver, and sub.

How would I be spending a ton here? I'm guessing the receiver would cost me like $300 if I wanted to get something nice entry level?

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Looks like that design you posted on diyaudio is very popular. Seems right up my alley too. I'm definitely going to need to smarten up to home audio though.

If I buy Tangbands and make that Cyburg design, what else will I need per speaker. Do I need T-amps and crossovers ... clueless i am!

Fast1one
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
You can just run them off a good entry level 5.1 unit...Pioneer makes some descent entry level receivers..

As far as crossovers, Look for a receiver with high pass filters and apply them to all the speakers around 60HZ where the sub will take over...

This is only one option, IDK if you'll like the sound of a full range driver. I was skeptical at first but i love the sound of mine...

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 06:41 PM
yea i guess im going to be too budget concerned to be pissy about how my speakers sound. im not a big time audiophile, i just want a pretty cool setup.

So probably drop like $200 on a unit like this?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=250-500

Get tang bands for the 4 channels.

What kind of good advice can I get on a budget subwoofer? Seems like PE.com kits start out at like $400+ which I thought was nuts.

Audio Junkies
03-20-2007, 07:49 PM
$400 isn't too bad for a sub, amp, and enclosure.

You could always get a Mach 5 driver, cheapo plate amp, and build the enclosure yourself. That is still going to cost you about $250 though.

Check ebay and audiogon, I see pretty good deals on both.

chibahawk
03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
$400 isn't too bad for a sub, amp, and enclosure.

You could always get a Mach 5 driver, cheapo plate amp, and build the enclosure yourself. That is still going to cost you about $250 though.

Check ebay and audiogon, I see pretty good deals on both.

A mach 5 driver.. thats a sub im guessing? Also what's the deal with plate amps?

There needs to be some kind of tutorial or something. I mean I've seen these plate amps just stuck onto the enclosure right?

**edit - would a sub sound bad if it was only getting like 70-80W off the receiver? I do realize that probably wouldn't be the actual amount tho...

dumple
03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
i have a powered subwoofer i can sell you

chibahawk
03-21-2007, 11:40 AM
send me a pm on the powered subwoofer .. im leaning towards DIY though. I'd like to have something to work on.

How much harder would making a subwoofer HT box be than a car audio one? I'm guessing finding plans wouldn't be so hard because the dimensions aren't such a huge deal... but what about the actual construction? I'm not a big friend of setting angles etc.

Would that Mach 5 setup be considered budget? Like it wouldn't overpower tang bang speakers would it? Thanks....

joetama
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
It kills me when one of my lowest quality speakers is more than someone's whole budget....

1loudsuv
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
It kills me when one of my lowest quality speakers is more than someone's whole budget....

hey hey some of us aint rich like you :P i am trying to scrape up some money right now to do two things: buy a sub (might build my own) and buy a rotel 1095 (which i already ordered :) )

chibahawk
03-21-2007, 07:12 PM

does it move you to charity?

This is nuts I thought there would be plenty of great low-budget ideas..

joetama
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM
hey hey some of us aint rich like you :P i am trying to scrape up some money right now to do two things: buy a sub (might build my own) and buy a rotel 1095 (which i already ordered :) )

Hey you have a kick *** system... I guess I juat have high standards...

does it move you to charity?

This is nuts I thought there would be plenty of great low-budget ideas..

WELL... There is... BUT, none of them are of any quality... :fyi:

chibahawk
03-22-2007, 01:24 AM
WELL... There is... BUT, none of them are of any quality... :fyi:

What would you consider to be the starting point for some "entry level quality"

I'm trying to coax some info outta you.. seems you know your stuff.

Could you maybe point me to some sites where I can read up on HT? I just started an account at DIYaudio but it seems more targeted to pros.

Thanks

joetama
03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
GO to borders... Get HTCHOICE and any other magazine that looks interesting.

Go to local dealers and let them know you don't know what you are doing. But, listen to systems. Go durring unbusy hours, sales guys love playing/listening to their stuff as much as we do.

Get on ebay, buy a cheap receiver and some cheap speakers that look decent. Don't spend more tha $40, and have fun. Take them apart, play with them...

I could tell you all day what is what and you wouldn't learn it.... You need to experience it to understand it... ;)

Fast1one
03-22-2007, 01:56 AM
WELL... There is... BUT, none of them are of any quality... :fyi:You can have a GREAT sounding system for a relatively low budget if you build everything yourself....

Unless you were referring to pre-built systems, in that case I agree. There are none of good quality for that budget...

joetama
03-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I am saying pre-built.

I don't think he has enough knowlage or experience to build one himself...

Fast1one
03-22-2007, 02:56 AM
I am saying pre-built.

I don't think he has enough knowlage or experience to build one himself...Good point.

To the original poster, if you really want descent quality for a good price. Do a LOT of research and DIY everything...

Start at diyaudio.com...

thylantyr
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM

You spend too much time on the wrong forum.. if you want to give out
high end advice :laugh:

joetama
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
You spend too much time on the wrong forum.. if you want to give out
high end advice :laugh:

Naa... Mostly on here for the car audio fun.

A lot of the high end home audio forums are too dry or just filled with idiots...

thylantyr
03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Naa... Mostly on here for the car audio fun.

A lot of the high end home audio forums are too dry or just filled with idiots...

There are cool forums where people spend more than $100 on a speaker
project :laugh:

chibahawk
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Good point.

To the original poster, if you really want descent quality for a good price. Do a LOT of research and DIY everything...

Start at diyaudio.com...

So you think diyaudio.com is actually a good place for a noob to go and ask questions and suggestions for designs? Didn't think I got that feeling after registering over there...

any other forums or websites to check out?

Fast1one
03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
So you think diyaudio.com is actually a good place for a noob to go and ask questions and suggestions for designs? Didn't think I got that feeling after registering over there...

any other forums or websites to check out?I would just do a lot of searching and build a premade design rather for your first cabinets...Theres a lot of designs with drivers ranging from 10 dollars each to 200, just go wild. Just remember one thing, anything will sound better than most of the pre built systems within your price range....

Another good site to read http://t-linespeakers.org/

And finally some free designs for TQWPs and BLHs http://www.frugal-horn.com/spawn.html and http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

Most of these drivers can be found at partsexpress.com and madisound.com

Good luck :)

Edit: one more :D http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes.html

chibahawk
03-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I would just do a lot of searching and build a premade design rather for your first cabinets...Theres a lot of designs with drivers ranging from 10 dollars each to 200, just go wild. Just remember one thing, anything will sound better than most of the pre built systems within your price range....
Good luck :)

Definitely appreciated.

How would you think a new guy to HT would get on building the design you posted earlier in the thread.

I was thinking I might buy Tang Bands and use this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47403.

Then I'd probably try and buy like a $300 receiver and a $250 sub kit maybe.

Fast1one
03-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Definitely appreciated.

How would you think a new guy to HT would get on building the design you posted earlier in the thread.

I was thinking I might buy Tang Bands and use this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47403.

Then I'd probably try and buy like a $300 receiver and a $250 sub kit maybe.Definitely a good beginners project. Simple, small, affordable.

You know you dont HAVE to have 5 or more speakers for HT. Personally, surround sound has never wowed me to the point where i couldnt live with just a simple two way or even three way system (center, two fronts). You can get four of those Tang bands, use two for the needles, and seal or port the other two for the center. Done.

As for a subwoofer kit, check this one out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-770

Not to shabby for a 15 inch subwoofer kit. Dayton is a solid company with great build quality. You always have room for expansion as well when you become more knowledgeable by building a better enclosure. Total price would be just over 650...

chibahawk
03-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Definitely a good beginners project. Simple, small, affordable.

You know you dont HAVE to have 5 or more speakers for HT. Personally, surround sound has never wowed me to the point where i couldnt live with just a simple two way or even three way system (center, two fronts). You can get four of those Tang bands, use two for the needles, and seal or port the other two for the center. Done.

As for a subwoofer kit, check this one out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-770

Not to shabby for a 15 inch subwoofer kit. Dayton is a solid company with great build quality. You always have room for expansion as well when you become more knowledgeable by building a better enclosure. Total price would be just over 650...

I definitely like the sound of that. Jus gotta find a receiver now...

Arite thanks again.