PDA

View Full Version : 880PRS tuning help

mixoplix
03-18-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm running a pair of CDT M6 mid/bass drivers in my doors and CDT ES-02 mid/tweets in my kicks and they are all powered by an Alpine PDX-4.150 (bi-amped) running active off my 880PRS HU. The problem is that I'm not the most technical when it comes to car audio so bare with me. I have the M6 crossed over at 1.5khz on the MID LPF @ 12 db slope and 80hz @ 12 db slope on the MID HPF setting, the ES-02 is set at 1.5khz HPF @18db slope...so far so good, I think?

Here's the real question, do I need time alignment, BBE, auto EQ, compression, seat position settings etc. configured to get the best sound out of these comps or should I just cross them over and tweak the EQ and be done with it???

P.S. I'm not running any subs, right now at least.

LinxuS
03-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I've heard people getting great results with time alignment, but it would only improve the sound to YOU in your drivers seat. The sound stage would be off for everyone else

Trey803
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
auto eq=garbage on the p880

mixoplix
03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah I tried the whole Auto EQ thing at first, but I thought it sounded muffled afterwards. I guess it just can't replace a well trained ear? :rolleyes:

mixoplix
03-18-2007, 05:05 PM
I've heard people getting great results with time alignment, but it would only improve the sound to YOU in your drivers seat. The sound stage would be off for everyone else

It almost seems selfish to tune your entire stereo to sound good in the drivers seat only, might as well buy headphones..cheaper too!

hardhitta47
03-18-2007, 05:24 PM
It almost seems selfish to tune your entire stereo to sound good in the drivers seat only, might as well buy headphones..cheaper too!

It's not selfish when it's your car and your money. Plus, you can always turn the listening position back to 'front' when someone's ridin with you.

MBrock4u
03-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Im sure you can adjust the time alignment manually. I have time alignment on my Excelon. I just played with it ALOT and left it were it sounded best overall. It can make quit a difference in the way your sub sounds. i didn't know that before. Just play with it.

mixoplix
03-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I guess there's no right or wrong way to tune your stereo...It's just a matter of preference.

Towncar
03-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah I tried the whole Auto EQ thing at first, but I thought it sounded muffled afterwards. I guess it just can't replace a well trained ear? :rolleyes:

Find someone with an rta if you want the best possible.

Decipha
03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
i always tell my clients to play with their settings to see what sounds best for them... usually they leave it the way i set it but i always recommend to try and get the most out of your unit.... everyone has their own opinions.. and well we all know what opinions are like...

mixoplix
03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
These are all valid points, thanks for the feedback.

chucku
03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
I just did the auto eq, time alingment tonight. It took me over an hour to reset the deck and readjust everything back to normal, (pretty close to flat)! I like the pioneer 880, and am only bi amping right now, I will go active this weekend, now that I figured the HU out. I wiil say ,that with all the fancy things there are on this deck, the only thing I like on it (or really use) is the eq.