PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 comps that sound great with only 85RMS

medik13
03-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I also need them to have a flush swivel option for aiming. I am using very clean amp. Price...No more than $225. Thanks

mvw2
03-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Most will work plenty well off 85w rms.

Hmm, flush swivel mount, I can't say I've really looked into that. I do think it's a quite nice feature, was using Morel's TW-1 tweeter from their Pulse set a while back. It does make for easy aiming and quick adjustment. I've just never looked into which sets actually provide that option.

A lot of your speaker choice will come down to what kind of sound and performance you want to get out of the set. Tweeters are compact and fabrication for custom angles isn't tremendously extensive. Yes a swivel mount will make your life a bit easier, but I wouldn't trade off a potentially superior(better fit for your application) set simply for a swivel mount. If you're worried about off-axis response, you might just consider looking for sets with a smaller 3/4" tweeter or a tweeter with a hotter top end that would counter any off-axis response.

adam71
03-18-2007, 08:34 AM
There are alot of component sets on the market that take only 60 to 80 watts per channel so you should be fine on that. As far as swivel mount is concerned I haven't seen too many pre made component sets that DON'T have swivel mount tweeters. I'm sure you'll see that your options are NOT going to be limited.:)

medik13
03-18-2007, 09:32 AM
There are alot of component sets on the market that take only 60 to 80 watts per channel so you should be fine on that. As far as swivel mount is concerned I haven't seen too many pre made component sets that DON'T have swivel mount tweeters. I'm sure you'll see that your options are NOT going to be limited.:)

On the contrary, I can't find any components that offer the flush swivel mount. I need it to swivel in a flush mount in a position low on my door. I need to aim them up because the soundstage is just too low. Already have a hole cut out.

adam71
03-18-2007, 09:48 AM
On the contrary, I can't find any components that offer the flush swivel mount. I need it to swivel in a flush mount in a position low on my door. I need to aim them up because the soundstage is just too low. Already have a hole cut out.

What do you mean you can't find any?? Almost ALL tweeters come with a swivel flush mount cup.

However, I would NEVER recommend mounting tweeters low in the door. No matter how much of a swivel mount you get it will only be able to point upward just so much. I would suggest finding a place on the door or the dash that is closer to chest level.

medik13
03-18-2007, 11:18 AM
What do you mean you can't find any?? Almost ALL tweeters come with a swivel flush mount cup.

However, I would NEVER recommend mounting tweeters low in the door. No matter how much of a swivel mount you get it will only be able to point upward just so much. I would suggest finding a place on the door or the dash that is closer to chest level.

The Rainbow SLC's I bought don't come with a swivel mount. I am looking at the RE6.5 comp set. Also, the position is a little lower than chest height, not lower door. Thanks

whitemax
03-18-2007, 11:18 AM
You could get some cheap tweeters just to plug up the hole on you door panels (non working), and then putting the new tweeters from you components up higher. The other option is going to a junkyard to try to find the door panels for you car.

edit...posted this before you posted your last post.....

whitemax
03-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Mine did not come with this option either, but it has not been a problem when installed. I am running them in the factory tweeter location in the A-pillar. On my other car I had them in the upper part of the door.

mvw2
03-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I would NEVER recommend mounting tweeters low in the door.

Never is a strong word to use. Frankly, down by the woofer is as good as up in the a-pillar, just different trade-offs. It's more of a personal choice in deciding which trade-offs you're willing to take. I run mine down by my woofers by choice. So does my brother. Both of us have used our tweeters up in the sailpane/a-pillar areas, myself with the addition of an active setup and time alignment. It's simply a matter of what trade-offs you prefer.

DaveDSMer
03-18-2007, 01:51 PM
i know you can get them much cheaper in other places but just wanted to show you the info about them.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vyqD9HjfoPl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&tab=essential_info&i=109GTO607C#Tab

if you wanted something with a little more power handling

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vyqD9HjfoPl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=109P650C

konechiwa
03-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Never is a strong word to use. Frankly, down by the woofer is as good as up in the a-pillar, just different trade-offs. It's more of a personal choice in deciding which trade-offs you're willing to take. I run mine down by my woofers by choice. So does my brother. Both of us have used our tweeters up in the sailpane/a-pillar areas, myself with the addition of an active setup and time alignment. It's simply a matter of what trade-offs you prefer.

honestly i would have to whole-heartedly disagree with you...i mean, the woofer to me is much less directional then a tweeter, and putting it down next to your foot firing right across to the other door sounds horrible. I mean, thats why we have imaging right?

I would recommend the rainbow's. Great Speakers, but the tweets don't come with swiveling flush mounts.

mlstrass
03-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Funny that home audio speakers NEVER put the tweeters in the A-pillars. Must be a reason for that, otherwise they'd build them with outboard tweeters you could place anywhere in the room. LOL

Dozy_production
03-19-2007, 12:44 AM
A pillars in the home eh? Im no guru but i would positioning woofers and tweeters almost completely depends on the surroundings and then how well the drivers perform on and off axis.

DejaWiz
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM
A pillars in the home eh? Im no guru but i would positioning woofers and tweeters almost completely depends on the surroundings and then how well the drivers perform on and off axis.

Absolutely. Not to mention the acoustic characteristics of the average square or rectangular room is a hell of a lot better than in a vehicle cabin, so speakers designed for the home will certainly perform much different than those designed for a vehicle. Setting proper imaging in a vehicle is usually a very frustrating, time consuming, and nightmare inducing journey, as those that have done so would most certainly agree with me.

youngfu
03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Alpine type-x components have flush/swivel tweeters, accept 75W rms and cost around $225. Perfect for you!!

mvw2
03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
^an outstanding bang for the buck set as long as you're not looking for a ton of midbass.

konechiwa, I guess we agree to disagree. :laugh: To each their own I guess. I just favor my tweeter next to the woofer. It's just a lot easier to work with and get a coherent presence. The only real downsides are stage height. You could argue physical obstructions(people's legs, center console, dash, etc) and any associated refleactions, but the woofer sort of shares the same fate. The only time I'd run my tweeters up high again is if it was in a 3-way running a strong 3" or 4" mid up high with it.

A lot of this does come down to the car and its dimentions and speaker placement. For my car, a Subaru Forester, the sailpane is good for pairing with the woofer along the same vertical axis to produce the same stage width, however, in a passive set, the distances were still quite different from the woofers which created a syncing issue. I could throw them in the corners of the dash and match distance but stage width narrowed for the highs. Sailpanes and TA work well, however, I never really liked the difference in height of the stage. Without a good bit of glassing, I really can't aim my woofers at all, so I'm stuck on that end too. It wasn't a bad setup and is something I could live with. Moving the tweeters down by the woofers just yields the best result for my car and setup restrictions. Till I get to glassing in speaker pods, if I ever endevour into that realm, I'm not really going to get aroudn it. If I drove a different car, tweeters up high might be favorable.

A woofer can dominate the stage presence too. It just depends on time alignment and how large a frequency range you're outputing. It's just that in more normal setups, the tweeter tends to be the closer driver of the two, and without time alignment to push it back from the forefront, it will usually come across as dominate for staging.

adam71
03-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Whats up with Rainbow not having a swivel mount option?? That ***** *** if you ask me.

jakesford
03-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Pioneer Premier's... They will do well on the power, you can find them for low $200 range.

But they don't have swivel mounting option though

medik13
03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Just ordered the crystals SSCS6. I am knowing I will get better sound upgrading to a 6.5 from a 5.25 speaker. Also, I was told the crystals had flush swivels tweeters. So I can't wait!