PDA

View Full Version : Alpine-9885.....

packerfan
03-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Anyone get to use this deck yet? I just sold my premier 780 and lookin for a replacement for it. If anybody has used it yet does it have the cheap look/feeling that the newer alpines have?

helix66
03-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I just got it the other day and in the process of installing it now. I've never had an alpine before so I don't really know what you mean about the cheap look/feel. I was at a BB the other day and none of the HUs seem all that impressive. From reading here they do not seem to be what they used to be, I'm just the average listener and I wanted the best ipod control, within rea$on.

Paco24det
03-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I just got the 9885 the other day from Crutchfield and installed it yesterday in my truck. My initial feeling that it is a great head unit. Its a lot better than the old Clarion I had in there. I installed components run off of an amp at the same time, so I dont know exactly how much better the sound is.

As far as the 'cheap' feel of newer Alpines, i really don't know. I have a 7998 in my car, but really never examined any other newer Alpines. For the record, the 9885 doesnt come close to comparing to the 7998, but it is a very good HU. I still need to play with tuning options (not nearly as many options as the 7998). I am disappointed that it doesnt seem to have time correction or the iPersonalize option. I do like the CD text info, even on the changer (s634). Also the ipod connection is amazing.

Bluecamry
03-18-2007, 02:39 PM
My friend has a 9885 and ive played around with it a little bit... its a good head unit, and although it is one of the new designs, it isnt as cheap looking as some of the other new ones. Its still nothing compared to an older Alpine or anything, but its one of the best of the new models ive seen. It replaces the 9857, which was in my opinion one of Alpines best head units produced. Truthfully, the 9885 isnt quite up to par as far as looks with the 57, but its functionality is nice, and its still a good head unit.

InsaneKreationz
03-18-2007, 02:42 PM
IMO, alot of CD player companys are goin downhill. Panasonic, Alpine. Thats to name 2.

Panasonic usta have some classy looking cd players, now they look cheap.

Alpine usta have GREAT cd players, now there just ok.

What is teh world coming to.

helix66
03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I just got mine installed last night, it took a bit long because there were a lot of bird's nests to clean up. I'm a new ipod user and new to all of this newer stereo functionality. Maybe because I'm not hip to all the new stuff but the ipod interface didn't seem as fast as the ipod itself, when searching through long lists it hunts for a bit. I don't know how other brands are compared to the newer alpines. When searching it'd be nice for the titles to scroll through as you pause on a title enabling you to read long titles. The display is a bit limited as far as what it shows when song is playing even though there seems to be enough screen real estate to show more info (playlist/artist/track name/track-count & track-timer).

I also find the function of the rotary knob a bit weird. It would make sense to push it in to select what you just used it to scroll to, but that isn't the case; there is a separate enter button to the upper left. Also, the words for the function and title buttons are not illuminated.

How much better is the 9857? I might be inclined to return this unit as I'm not super-impressed.

Bluecamry
03-18-2007, 03:38 PM
The 9885 directly replaced the 9857, and as such I would expect the 57 to be cheaper by now, if not at best buy or wherever, look online.

Dont expect better iPod controls though... but you cant really get good iPod controls with any HU on the market right now that ive seen.

helix66
03-18-2007, 03:50 PM
OK, well it is good to know that the ipod controls are nowhere near what the ipod offers. I'll be a bit less harsh and see how it works out for me, sometimes the ipod scroll wheel itself is a bit "sticky".

Crutchfield still has the 9857 at $349, and the 9885 was $279. I know sonicelectronix has the 9885 for $229 and no 9857's are shown.

hemirunner426
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
how does the 9885 compare to the old 9853?

i am thinking about replacing my 9853 with this deck... i hope not to have the problems i've had with the 9853... however, the 9853 sounds extremely well when it works...

frzninvt
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Alpine still lists the 9857 as a current model and above the 9885 in the heirachy for whatever it is worth.

AVSTANG02
03-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I miss the look and feel of my 9815...

I remember when I first got that deck I couldnt stop looking at and holding the faceplate in my hand it screamed high quality....

hemirunner426
03-19-2007, 03:49 PM
what i dont get is why the 9857 does not have a crossover network however the 9885 does... and the 9885 is cheaper?

it seems the 9857 is 2v pre-outs and the 9885 is 4v...

i am wondering why these models do not even compare to the options my 9853 has. In order to get these features, i have to go to their dva-9965... ugh, the dvd feature is useless to me...

helix66
03-19-2007, 04:39 PM
what i dont get is why the 9857 does not have a crossover network however the 9885 does... and the 9885 is cheaper?

What is the crossover network feature you mention above? I'm new to all of this, if it didn't already show. I can't even remember the last hu that I actually purchased prior to the 9885.

hemirunner426
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
the 9885 has a high-pass crossover built into it. You can set your crossover frequencies between your low and high's

helix66
03-20-2007, 01:13 AM
I'll have to do a bit more research to know what that's about! I thought that the component drivers already have crossovers.

hemirunner426
03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
typically they do, however that crossover splits the frequencies for your tweeters and midbass speakers. That is usually the passive crossover between your amp and speakers.

the lowpass/highpass filter in the 9885 splits the frequencies up between your sub and high range speakers. Your sub will typically get anything from 80hz down while your components will get everything 80hz and up. The 80hz and up range your components passive crossover will split up that signal to run to the appropriate driver (aka midbass and tweeters)

the plus side... since the deck has an active crossover network for the sub, it is configurable. for example, with my current deck, i have my crossover frequencies for the sub and componets set at 100hz with a 12db/octive slope since that sounds the best with my setup.
If i were to use my amplifiers low-pass/high-pass crossover i would be stuck at 80hz since my amplifiers are not configurable. Thats why i use my deck to set my crossover frequencies and leave my amps crossovers disabled. :-)

hope the info helps!

I am somewhat new at this too...! anyone who can elaborate better feel free!

Ctminime
03-20-2007, 01:32 AM
My friend has a 9885 and ive played around with it a little bit... its a good head unit, and although it is one of the new designs, it isnt as cheap looking as some of the other new ones. Its still nothing compared to an older Alpine or anything, but its one of the best of the new models ive seen. It replaces the 9857, which was in my opinion one of Alpines best head units produced. Truthfully, the 9885 isnt quite up to par as far as looks with the 57, but its functionality is nice, and its still a good head unit.

are u smoking crack!!!! that is one of the shittest head units i have ever used. in no way do 06 alpines compare in any way shape or form to 05 and older models... now if you were to say that HUs like the 7998, 9835, 9855 were some of the best headunits produced then i would agree with you... the 9857 however is the most horrid excuse for a high end unit and i think that 06 and newer alpine units are a mockery to alpines awesome reputation for high end stereo.... that is all

/rant

hemirunner426
03-20-2007, 12:48 PM
are u smoking crack!!!! that is one of the shittest head units i have ever used. in no way do 06 alpines compare in any way shape or form to 05 and older models... now if you were to say that HUs like the 7998, 9835, 9855 were some of the best headunits produced then i would agree with you... the 9857 however is the most horrid excuse for a high end unit and i think that 06 and newer alpine units are a mockery to alpines awesome reputation for high end stereo.... that is all

/rant

i would have to agree... so far i am not impressed with alpine's current line-up... there is just no options to them.

helix66
03-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I read a lot here to try to learn about the new capabilities of current HUs, mainly to replace my 1995 clarion. I know I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere but I went with crutchfield and got an alpine 9885 (the new model lower than the 9857). http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9885
I thought that the ipod control would be a bit better, someone mentioned that the usb HUs are better, I'd be willing to exchange the unit if I can....any suggestions under $350?

packerfan
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, i ended up getting the eclipse CD7000. The 9885 isnt anything special from what i could tell, only thing goin for it was the bio lite display which dont mean much in terms of sound. So far im lovin the eclipse, they have never let me down this is my 4th one so far. Thanks for the replys guys.

helix66
03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Well, i ended up getting the eclipse CD7000.

How much did you get it for, it looks to be around $500-ish! That's a lot of dough.

JLAudioCavalier
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
I will say this.. .anytime someone is looking for a head unit that is within the average Joe's price range, I used to send them to Alpine. Then they phased out the 983X Line... and ever since, I haven't put Alpine at the top of my "bang-for-buck" list of Head Unit manufacturers at all.

Now I gotta say that I am a balls to the wall die hard SQ fan. With that said, the adjustability of Pioneers units in the last couple years has more than out performed anything Alpine has attempted at since the 983X series (Alpines 7XXX series is not being mentioned in this because they are simply in a league of their own among Alpine's line up).

Eclipse has never let me down at all as far as performance. You will always get the kids who care more about screen savers, pretty lights and fancy features that have NOTHING to do with the quality of sound that the head unit produces... witch to me is the NUMBER ONE deciding factor in a head unit.

Over all, If you had walked up to me and said "I want an affordable head unit [$150-350]. I want to get the most features for my money, with my main focus being on the sound and adjustabity and don't care about fancy BS." I would show you some Pioneer's, and some Eclipses.....and then maybe some Alpine's..... it's such a shame realy, because they had SOOOO much going for them... then the 985X series was introduced... then shortly after the 983X series was phased out... and they basicaly went down hill faster than a fat kid on rollerskates :(

helix66
03-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Over all, If you had walked up to me and said "I want an affordable head unit [$150-350]. I want to get the most features for my money, with my main focus being on the sound and adjustabity and don't care about fancy BS." I would show you some Pioneer's, and some Eclipses.....and then maybe some Alpine's..... it's such a shame realy, because they had SOOOO much going for them... then the 985X series was introduced... then shortly after the 983X series was phased out... and they basicaly went down hill faster than a fat kid on rollerskates :(

So take those concerns you listed and add really good ipod control, what would you recommend? I understand what you are saying, I'm not trying to defend anything, just not sure what to consider, and I feel a bit stupid now for buying the alpine unit.:blackeye:

packerfan
03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Honestly the headunit market is going down the drain. If i honestly could id buy back my eclipse 8062. Everythings going from people that cared about sound quality to blue tooth and ipod controls.

JLAudioCavalier
03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
don't worry packerfan, we still got Nak and Denon kicking around... but it seems the people driven by iPod features, Bluetooth, USB, SD and low cost are driving the market a lot more than the people concerned with on board EQ and X-Over settings, and clean sound and solid quality. :crying:

Ctminime
03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
So take those concerns you listed and add really good ipod control, what would you recommend? I understand what you are saying, I'm not trying to defend anything, just not sure what to consider, and I feel a bit stupid now for buying the alpine unit.:blackeye:

dont feel bad that u got an alpine feel bad that u got a newer alpine... they make a good unit... just not anymore...

JLAudioCavalier
03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
they make a good unit... just not anymore...

I couldn't say it any better than that! :2thumbs:

rdzm50
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
well i have a 9855... i think that there are better HUs out there for the money... but it is... ehhh ok.... way to complicated at first for sure though...

helix66
03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
dont feel bad that u got an alpine feel bad that u got a newer alpine... they make a good unit... just not anymore...

So the other part of my comment was what'd be decent in that price range that has good ipod control and acceptable sound quality?

Bluecamry
03-21-2007, 03:37 AM

/rant

The 9857 was just the 9856 with two lines of text. I think the 56 is a very solid head unit, for a very reasonable price. Ive never used the 57 hands on, so its just an assumption that a two line text of my personal favored HU will be, in my opinion, better. Not for the price though obviously, or id have a 57 sitting in my car. It is a good head unit with an ample amount of features, but I agree, the 57 is a sorry excuse for "high end" head units. The head units you listed are good, and I really dont see a 56 or a 57 as being too far off par of those quality-wise. I hate Alpines new head units a lot, trust me. Im confused as to what generation HU you are talking about, whether we got mixed up. Perhaps...

mph86
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
I just got a 9885 and while I've never had a "premium" HU (I just can't afford it) I have been quite impressed with this new Alpine. I have owned a couple Pioneer DEH units and I like this much better. I also think the Ipod functionality is impressive, not AS good as the click wheel, but very easy to use.