PDA

View Full Version : popping problems

hemirunner426
03-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Hello

I am having an interesting popping/crack sound that is repeatable in my system.
When playing Metallica - S&M - Master of puppets i will sometimes get a pop out of either speaker that i can rewind to over and over again.

Low volume or high volume it is very evident. This only seems to happen when the deck is set to flat/ no MX or in otherwords... defeat on, which is where i normally play the deck.

Enabling MX resolves the issue, so does changing the EQ to something i define... changing either or gets rid of the problem.

The only thing i have changed is adding a HC-600 battery to help with my amplifiers power needs. Other then that the system has not been touched in almost 2 years. I noticed the problem a couple weeks ago before putting in the battery, however i wrote it off as being a poor quality MP3 (same song on MP3 disk)... but with the actual S&M disk and the new battery it is very evident and seems to be getting worse with defeat on.

My gear is as follows:
CDA-9853
MRP-F240
MRD-M301
2 Type R 6x9
1 Type S 10" 2ohm config
HC-600

The deck is set to 2-way active crossover at 100hz and i believe 12db/octive slope(whatever the number 2 setting actually is)

I am leaning torwards maybe the preamp in the deck is dying a slow death... or is it possible i have a ground issue?
I would figure if its anything other then the deck, then adjusting MX and EQ settings will not fix the problems.

Are there any ideas which i could try before i go out and get another deck?

hemirunner426
03-17-2007, 06:18 PM
i have redone my ground connections for my amplifiers... both amplifiers and the HC-600 share a common ground and i have scrapped more paint from the floor. It is a thick peice of sheet metal so it should have good ground contact. My digital amp reports 14.2v with vehicle running.

However, the pop still exsists only when the deck is set to flat
If i create my own custom EQ at +1 db at 63hz the issue is non exsistent. If i create my own custom EQ that is flat... the pop is back. Any of the other "predefined" EQ settings also get rid of the pop... however they sound terrible.

is there any ideas?
To me, my system sounds best flat... i would really like to be able to run it again this way... has anyone had this problem before?

joetama
03-17-2007, 06:47 PM
It is either something that is being decoded badly or at that particular moment there is a limit that is being reached in your system...

hemirunner426
03-18-2007, 04:16 PM
i am thinking that something has gone bad in the deck to cause this.

as far as reaching limitations what do you mean by that? I tried lowering gains to nominal on my amplifiers however the problem still exsists even at very low volumes. i dont run gains far from nominal anyway... the way i set it up is so the amplifiers play a reasonable level when he deck is around 18-20.

this is the only troubleshooting steps i know of to try to eliminate clipping or possible ground problems.

thanks for the input!

hardhitta47
03-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Have you had this issue with other songs, and also have you listened to the same track on a different system to see if that popping sound is in the recording?

hemirunner426
03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Yes just recently it has begun to do it on other albums as well. These are real disks, not mp3's or burned cds.

i dont believe it to be the disks... some of these i have had for a long time and have been played in other systems many times. I also keep a rule of thumb of keeping my disks well maintainted. Scratched disks ****!

I havent had good luck with alpine HUs. The first 9853 i bought went back after a week for the motor failure problem. :-/

hemirunner426
03-20-2007, 01:29 AM
does anyone know if alpine will be releasing a deck with similar features of the 9853 that is not ungodly expensive? I payed $300 for my 9853 at audio express (yes i stole it! ha ha) however, the only deck i see on alpine's site with all the 9853 features is over $1000.!

innsanes
04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
hey recently i am having the same probelm, sounds like a scratch disk but it is not and its just random. I have an alpine 7998 and recently this just happened after i wiped the screen. This is annoying BUMP I NEED HELP TOOO

innsanes
05-02-2007, 11:39 PM
figured it out, its the ground