PDA

View Full Version : MAF sensor

accent_pride
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I heard that there is a way to fix your MAF sensor in your car instead of buying new, new is quite expensive. so the question i am asking is if anybody knows how to fix this sensor? somebody has to know! ive tried searching but didnt get much luck..
thanks in advance
brandon

accent_pride
03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
didnt seem to get any replies, and i figured it out myself.. but if anybody else wants to know how...
if your vehicle is sputtering when accelerating, noticable drop in gas mileage, harder to start to some degree, and just all in all sluggish feeling.. you may need to buy a new MAF sensor,, or just clean it!!
take off MAF sensor,
i disconnected the negative battery terminal just in case( not sure if that is necessary)
use brake cleaner, carb cleaner,penetrating fluid, etc.. make sure its something safe to use..
spray her down, clean out( i used air)
put her back together, and your done..
my car seems totally different now, no engine light, not sluggish anything,
id recommend trying that out if you are experiencing those problems, cant hurt trying it..

Brandon

azbass
03-15-2007, 07:48 PM
um.. id never spray my MAF down..

get a new one.

accent_pride
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
im a rookie to the whole car engine and how it works type of thing, but those sensors are kinda pricey i think

azbass
03-15-2007, 07:54 PM
yeah and they are also kinda sensitive.

4xGmc
03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes very sensitive and carb cleaner is a no no as it leaves deposits of chlorine. If u must clean it use electric motor spray. imo ford has the biggest problem with them geting dirty a lot

DBfan187
03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
you mean MAP sensor? Manifold Air Pressure sensor?

azbass
03-15-2007, 08:15 PM
mass airflow sensor/ on your air intake

4xGmc
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
map= manifold absolute pressure maf= mass air flow

azbass
03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
unless he has an old car with an older engin useing a map..

accent_pride
03-15-2007, 08:19 PM
nope 98 accent

Lunchbocks
03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
unless he has an old car with an older engin useing a map..

Every Honda I've ever worked on from the past 15 years has used a MAP. And for the record, what you did really had nothing to do with 'fixing' the MAF, really just a cleaning. Using the chemicals you did really isn't the way I'd go about it for reasons stated above. However, you never mentioned what kind of mass air flow; was it like a Karmen Vortex, a GM Hotwire, etc. I noticed you mentioned that afterwards there was no CEL but if there was beforehand then I'd recommend pulling that code to start things off. Now, as for the symptoms mentioned and whether or not the MAF really had anything to do with them... if there was significant buildup restricting airflow or blocking sensor pickup then I could see an issue. But if there is a sluggish feeling, sputter, and bad MPG, I'd probably look elsewhere first. For one, just the general tune-up areas and investigate sources of CEL's as mentioned before. If the mass air flow reading is actually the problem, then it should trip a code showing that it is out of parameter or you can use diagnostic equipment yourself to see if the readings are within spec.