PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow for dedicated midbass?

Buffalohed
03-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey folks I realize this isn't exactly the most original thread ever, but, I would like to get some opinions if it isn't too much of a problem. I know the standard answer is "PM 6spdcoupe", and I will do that at some point, but wanted to run it by here first.

So I'm putting some 6.5 or 7" midbass in my rear deck. I want to cross them from about 55-65 to 300ish. They will be in stereo receiving 125rms per side.

From searching I have found very good things about the DD midbass, CDT M-6, and AA (though online it says these are best ported). However...

My budget is 300$ shipped max and I am very interested in trying Rainbow for dedicated midbass based simply on the amount of praise they get here. The two models I was considering are the CMX 165 and Germanium 165, both non-kick obviously. Also I am not sure if the Profi or Profi Vanadium 6.5s are within my price range or close to it, but I could be interested if they are close. How will these perform in IB and at the limited frequency? I'm looking for accuracy speed and detail and do not want muddy sound.

Was also considering the Morel Dotech midranges so any experience with those is appreciated.

Thanks fellas

the727kid
03-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, as a Germ Owner, I believe they canno't be crossed below 80hz.

enzowho
03-14-2007, 02:19 PM
You can get the Profi Kickbass W165 drivers for around 340-350, while the Germs will cost you like 230 (that's what comes to mind at least). Any Rainbow "kick" drive must be crossed over at 80 Hz, while my Germs can be crossed around 60 Hz.

Anyways, I run the Profi Kickbass and really like them, but both speakers will do well. Why do you want to run them in the rear hatch though? If you are going to add a dedicated midbass driver, get yourself a nice up-front 3-way setup. If you are going to spend the money on some nicer Rainbow drivers, make sure you install is solid.

Buffalohed
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
The Germs say they play down to 50hz iirc, they don't even make Germ kicks do they?

I could justify spending 340 on Profis I think. I'm assuming they are extremely detailed and accurate but pretty powerful too? I like my music loud, especially the lower octaves.

There are a couple reasons I'm not running 3-ways. First, I do not want kick panels, period. Second, I don't want to heavily mod my doors, they are modded enough as it is. But most importantly, I actually like having sound coming from behind me. I know the whole "front stage" thing is all the rage, but with the music I listen to it hardly matters. I listen to a ton of electronic experimental and classical music so the concept of a stage means very little, and even with the metal/rock/pop I listen to I like the sound coming from all directions.

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on the Rainbow CMX or Morel Dotech drivers?

enzowho
03-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I listen to a ton of electronic experimental and classical music so the concept of a stage means very little, and even with the metal/rock/pop I listen to I like the sound coming from all directions.
I would tend to disagree with this statement as I do listen to similar genre's of music. You are shelling out the money though, so its totally up to you. I couldn't give you any suggestions off the top of my head (Its been a long, long day. I got drilled during my EE senior design defense today), but I would suggest possibly going with a less expensive driver. First, I can't tell you how either of those drivers will do in the rear hatch (or wherever they are going). Secondly, if that midbass is behind you, its going to reflect and bounce off everything enough before it gets to you that the potential sonic clarity those drivers can provide will most likely be lost. A better setup might just be a 2 way upfront with a pair of those crossed over form ~60/80-2.5k. Just an idea.

Anyways, back on topic, if you want loud go with the Germs. The Profi's can handle the power, but in my experience I prefer to the Germs if you are going loud. The profi's have great kickbass response, but as I stated above IMHO, the Germs sound less "strained" when driven hard. That is not to say either sound "strained", but yeah, nm I think you probably know what I'm getting at.

Schuey2002
03-15-2007, 04:13 AM
The Profi Kick Bass mids can be had for around $270.

Rainbow W165 SLC Kick Bass mids are another excellent option. You can pick these up for right around $150 for the pair...

expo5.0
03-15-2007, 04:44 AM
honestly- for mounting them back there

just run tang bands or dayton

mvw2
03-15-2007, 01:22 PM
If you're simply looking for midbass, there's a lot of compact options. Tang Band subs would do well. Elemental Designs EU-700 would too. Both are decently affordable. The Adire Extremis is available at a little more cost. The DD W6.5LT would pound nicely, and I know Louisiana_CRX has a pair available.

It kinda depends on how much you want to spend.