PDA

View Full Version : should I invest in a 2-way alarm? I was a victim

DykeOfTulsa
03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
if you guys saw the thread i posted yesterday (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220606) youd know that my car was broken into and they tried to take my alpine. I am now paranoid that the person will come back. I wouldn'tbe surprised because my car is a valuable target and there were 6 reported break-ins the first week school started (college).. anyway, I have a regular alarm that just has a siren and although it went off yesterday the thief didnt care and still tried to take my stuff. Should I get a 2-way so if im ever in class and it goes off I can run out right away? I cant think of any other ways of keeping the thief away so I guess my best bet is catching him in the act again. Also, if a 2-way is my best option, can I get any decent ones for 200?

saj21187
03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes you should get one, but they are not fullproof. Your best bet is save up your money and buy a good one, make sure you have at least one backup battery, and put as many sirens on the exterior and interior as you can fit. You might want to remove your alpine stereo and put the stock one in for a few weeks just in case the guy comes back, that way it looks like you got rid of the stuff.

azbass
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
meh, your pager probably wont go off, depending where your at. (from your car)
i would hook the car horn to the alarm, to make more noise.

DykeOfTulsa
03-13-2007, 06:13 PM
what are the average distances 2-ways cover? I only need to depend on it when Im in class. How much of a task is hooking up the car horn to the alarm? I know electronics and electrical theory but ive never done an alarm install

marcusb419er
03-13-2007, 06:13 PM
don't have to spend a hole lot. on a pager alarm just buy a viper 771- my friend has one and im going to buy one this spring.its just like the 791 but with no screen just buttons

LeofromtheH
03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
i thinkthe new viper has a 1 mile radius.

i've got the 791xv and it has 1/4.which is still pretty far.

hardhitta47
03-14-2007, 02:04 AM
meh, your pager probably wont go off, depending where your at. (from your car)
i would hook the car horn to the alarm, to make more noise.

x2

I would try to make your car as loud and annoying as possible. Get the horn hooked up, add some ear-piercing piezo sirens inside the car.

Supergumby5000
03-14-2007, 02:18 AM
i just got a 2-way autopage installed today and love it already. One thing i did to help with any back-door alarm issues is i installed an aftermarket grill (just one of the cheapeas off ebay). You can unhook the hood latch from the inside of the car (a pull switch), but the switch to fully unlatch the hood is behind the grill, which is unaccessable unless you have something about 1/8" in diameter and about 5" long. hmm maybe i should post this in the not get jacked thread.

gl0ck
03-15-2007, 12:14 AM
the 5900/ 900 platform 1 mile peak only one really worth it.

jesuspunk25
03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I have an autopage and I was in des moines a few weeks ago, parked in a parking garage. Seemed a little safer. While I was inside my pager went off so my friend and I ran out to the parking garage and it was the attendant leaving envelopes for after hours payment. At least I know it works. It was only about half a block away but it does work. Also, I had the guy who installed mine disable the trunk release in my car so my pager is the only way to open it without destroying it.

edit: I forgot to add that with mine you have to lock the doors when you're fairly close. the pager doesn't send as strong of a signal as the car so even if you're in range for the car the pager might not work. seems to be common sense but when I first got it I was dumb enough that I thought I might be able to arm the alarm after I get inside work.

Chevillac
03-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I would definitely invest in one. Pagers will go on all my vehicles. When you are close enough. Onyl a few times have I been at a club or something far away and they worked. Just make they install it right. And liek everyone else said, put some extra sirens on. The siren that came with my 691 was not loud at all.

wu36ca
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Pagers are cool. I have one, but I am always afraid I won't hear it. Make sure you have a siren that is battery backed up, not just the alarm. I have a battery backed up siren in a comprimising position under my car. And I cut the wire on the battery backup so the stock and backup do different tones. It is a loud and obnoxious, yet unique jumble of tones. And if I am extra worried about the area I arm the OEM alarm also.

TIeclipseMOJO
03-22-2007, 12:28 AM
people barely even pay attention to alarms going off anymore. unless you got someone loading your **** into a truck waiting next to your car while the alarms going off. I went with a compustar 2 way (but it was over 500 bucks) i love the thing though. i leave my pager near my window in my dorm and he always has reception to the parking lot. It doesnt work in all classroom buildings though. if you dont go with a better alarm do other ****, detachable face, tint so they cant see your ****. dont show off on your way to park your car. use allen heads or torx heads on your installs. or if you think he might try to steal again try and set him up. my compustar has a bunch of blue leds when its armed, but we are going to cover them up with some electrical tape and arm my car but leave it unlocked and try and catch someone robbing a certain neighborhood