PDA

View Full Version : I need a lot of help, yes i'm a noob

t-money
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
i know quite a bit about car audio but know nothing about ht or home audio. I have around $2000.00 to spend and all i have is a dvd player. Can someone tell me what names are good and possibly what would be a good set up. I'm thinking about running a kicker cvx 15 for a ht woofer. I really don't know jack about ht and home audio, can someone please help.

JimJ
03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Are you wanting a 5.1 channel setup? I assumed with the DVD player, you'd be going that way...

t-money
03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Are you wanting a 5.1 channel setup? I assumed with the DVD player, you'd be going that way...

i honestly don't know much about home audio. I want my movies to have surround sound and my home stereo to pound. Do i do both seperately or can i use the same woofer for ht as for my home audio? I really don't know what names are good. I don't need top of the line stuff, just good stuff. Like how i wouldn't recommend sony for car audio to someone with a little money and i woudln't offer them a jl 13w7, something in the middle. thanks for any help in advanced? i have tried to search but don't know where to start.

JimJ
03-13-2007, 11:44 PM
I need to know a budget, and we'll go from there :)

thylantyr
03-14-2007, 12:23 AM
I need to know a budget, and we'll go from there :)

Read post #1 ? :laugh:

JimJ
03-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Self-pwnt :)

Two grand, huh...

Outlaw Audio pre/processor + power amplifier
Homebuilt speakers, something like the Lytle 5's on Partsexpress

Have fun :)

t-money
03-14-2007, 11:33 AM
so names like sony, toshiba and others are not very good names. Should i be buying seperate pieces or can i buy a package from just one name. I hate not knowing about ht and home audio, i don't like starting from the beginning but i guess i have no choice

Pistonsfan70
03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Piece by piece is better...start with a receiever....then it'll all come together

JimJ
03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
For that kind of budget, yes, they're not good names :)

Outlaw, B&K, Rotel...all excellent choices.

t-money
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM

thanks, i'll start looking for some of those names. Like i said, i don't need the best but i don't want the worst. Be ready to see more posts by me as i want to make sure i get some good equipment

joetama
03-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Indeed...

For that Budget you can do pretty well on the electronics...

CobaltKicker
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Go McIntosh for the receiver. Go Bose or Bang and Oulfson for the Sound.

joetama
03-14-2007, 03:39 PM

I'm hoping you are kidding....

jeffs42885
03-14-2007, 04:07 PM

good lord, i almost puked when i read that. Bose *****, Bang and oulfson is OVERPRICED crap imho. if your looking for high end im a fan of the denon recievers, and KEF speakers if you can afford them. If not, Polk audios are a decent choice.

CobaltKicker
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
good lord, i almost puked when i read that. Bose *****, Bang and oulfson is OVERPRICED crap imho. if your looking for high end im a fan of the denon recievers, and KEF speakers if you can afford them. If not, Polk audios are a decent choice.

....You get what you pay for my friend. He said his price range was $2k. So theres a set-up for $2k. Another good choice is Denon Receiver with Bose Surround Sound. That still fits in his price range. I personally have all Pioneer Elite Home theater, but all my money goes to my ride audio/video system.

joetama
03-14-2007, 04:35 PM

I did puke....

KEF isn't bad, shopping around and listening is the best thing to do. B&W has some lower line stuff that is very good for the price but there are 100's of manufactures which he can look at.

....You get what you pay for my friend. He said his price range was $2k. So theres a set-up for $2k. Another good choice is Denon Receiver with Bose Surround Sound. That still fits in his price range. I personally have all Pioneer Elite Home theater, but all my money goes to my ride audio/video system.

You usually get what you pay for, but sometimes you overpay for crap. Bose is crap :fyi: in case you didn't figure that out by now. I think you might want to stay into the sections for your 'ride'. :fyi:

CobaltKicker
03-14-2007, 04:38 PM
LOL, Bose is crap. You call yourself a home theater audiophile haha. Like Comedy hour.

joetama
03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
LOL, Bose is crap. You call yourself a home theater audiophile haha. Like Comedy hour.

So what are you saying that as a audiophile I should like Bose???

Excuse me for not knowing anything and letting my ears tell me that BLOWS sounds like someone is holding their hands over their mouths when they talk.

tEh koRnDog
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM

B&W_EE knows more about HT than you wish you could..hes very helpful and knows his ****.

so take your bose **** and stfu:veryhapp:

joetama
03-14-2007, 05:23 PM

BTW what Mac Pre-amp is less than 2k?

joetama
03-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Ok, my recommendations with $2,000 starting off with a DVD player already.

Use the DVD as the universal source.

Then if you want to do a surround system do the following:

Denon AVR-1507 or Yamaha RX-V. ~$350
Main Bowers & Wilkins DM-602 or 602.5 ~$600-$700 (PR)
Center B&W LCR60 S3 ~$350
Surround B&W DM601S3 ~$450 (PR)

That leaves you some money left over to build your own subwoofer or to do a little shopping for a sub you like.

jeffs42885
03-14-2007, 07:33 PM
im gonna agree on the b and w

we have some old *** ones in our basement, bookshelf speakers and they DOMINATE

bose is overpriced, and in my opinion, is like the jl of home audio..over priced and much better for the buck just my 2 cents

Fast1one
03-14-2007, 08:23 PM
LOL, Bose is crap. You call yourself a home theater audiophile haha. Like Comedy hour.Yeah if you like satellites with no midbass and a subwoofer thats is easily found because of a LP crossover that is set WAY to high to compensate...Not to mention they are overpriced...

My homemade towers sound WAY better, cost 50 a pair, and have more midbass then Bose would EVER dream of...

JimJ
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM

Go over to Audioasylum and ask how many "audiophiles" use Bose :)

1loudsuv
03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
im gonna agree on the b and w

we have some old *** ones in our basement, bookshelf speakers and they DOMINATE

bose is overpriced, and in my opinion, is like the jl of home audio..over priced and much better for the buck just my 2 cents

actually jl sells some decent stuff and bose is just crap no ifs about it.

no bass, no midbass, no highs then it must be bose

Mr. C
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm just wondering how you put McIntosh and Bose in the same sentence together.

ballstothewall
03-15-2007, 12:49 AM

One word. Drugs.

joetama
03-15-2007, 10:09 AM
actually jl sells some decent stuff and bose is just crap no ifs about it.

no bass, no midbass, no highs then it must be bose

I agree. JL doesn't build a bad product it is just very overly priced for what it is. Bose just builds a bad product.

No kidding.....

One word. Drugs.

It would have to be something like that....

t-money
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Ok, my recommendations with $2,000 starting off with a DVD player already.

Use the DVD as the universal source.

Then if you want to do a surround system do the following:

Denon AVR-1507 or Yamaha RX-V. ~$350
Main Bowers & Wilkins DM-602 or 602.5 ~$600-$700 (PR)
Center B&W LCR60 S3 ~$350
Surround B&W DM601S3 ~$450 (PR)

That leaves you some money left over to build your own subwoofer or to do a little shopping for a sub you like.

that is more or less the reply i was looking for. I will look into each piece you named and go from there. i live in Canada, so i don't know how accessable(sp) some of those items may be.. I really do appreciate the help, been putting too much money into my car audio and need to start enjoying music and movies at home.thanks again for all the help

t-money
03-20-2007, 04:34 PM
that is more or less the reply i was looking for. I will look into each piece you named and go from there. i live in Canada, so i don't know how accessable(sp) some of those items may be.. I really do appreciate the help, been putting too much money into my car audio and need to start enjoying music and movies at home.thanks again for all the help

edit: which speakers would i put up front, the dm 602 or the dm 601? I know the lcr60 is a centre channel. Is $2000.00 a good price for ht? could i get quality equipment for less?

joetama
03-21-2007, 01:17 AM
DM602 or 602.5 up front...

2k is a good price. You can put together a very nice system for that. If you go much cheaper you are going to have to cut corners and that is not the best way to go about it.

Max_Power
03-21-2007, 02:51 AM

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

lawl. not saying it's true, but I have heard many things like this before.

t-money
03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
DM602 or 602.5 up front...

2k is a good price. You can put together a very nice system for that. If you go much cheaper you are going to have to cut corners and that is not the best way to go about it.

thanks again, as you can see i got confused today and started a new thread, but thanks for the help, i've located a b&w dealer near to where i live and will be checking it out .thanks again. It really ***** to start at not knowing anything about ht and home audio and being a noobx

joetama
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks again, as you can see i got confused today and started a new thread, but thanks for the help, i've located a b&w dealer near to where i live and will be checking it out .thanks again. It really ***** to start at not knowing anything about ht and home audio and being a noobx

Go listen, I am sure you dealer has lots and lots of options for you to go with. Most dealers are there to help you and usually will sell you what is best for you not what they want to sell you! But, I find B&W hard to beat. At that price range there is lots of other speakers which are very close in sound quality and value but I enjoy the clean highs and crisp mid-base of the B&Ws.