PDA

View Full Version : Bbe?

pdtran
03-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I got a 7800MP and it has a BBE option. I only got my sub/amp in right now, but this makes it WAY louder and makes the music seem more lively...who uses this and what does it do exactly?

I set my gains with everything off at 41/62 volume...then I turn the EQ on SuperBass and turn on BBE. I don't turn the volume knob past 40 and when I go on bass heavy songs, I don't THINK I hear any clipping because I am not sure what it sounds like exactly, I can tell the sub is def getting a workout. I haven't gotten any stinky coil smells or anything so far so I think I should be cool.

Dunno how it will sound when I put my front stage in though.

zSnb
03-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I have my BBE set to +4. I like the difference it makes in sound. I dont know exactly how it works but in my opinion it does make the music sound a little nicer.

Imshirazy
03-10-2007, 08:00 PM
http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

pdtran
03-10-2007, 10:05 PM
awesome...thx for the link

pdtran
03-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I have my BBE set to +4. I like the difference it makes in sound. I dont know exactly how it works but in my opinion it does make the music sound a little nicer.

do you have a subwoofer?

zSnb
03-11-2007, 05:08 AM
soon :D

whitemax
03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I've been a fan of BBE back when Alpine was using it in the 90's. I usually only used it on the lower settings. I am looking at the Alpine CDA-9887 and am somewhat dissapointed that they went back to that terrible sounding Media Xpander (MX) function for this unit. You Pioneer guys are lucky to have that included in your units :).

phantom240
03-11-2007, 07:20 PM
9857 ftw

whitemax
03-11-2007, 07:50 PM
If Alpine would have included the Bass Engine Pro stuff on that HU, it would be one very nice HU....

Rich B
03-11-2007, 07:53 PM
I've been a fan of BBE back when Alpine was using it in the 90's. I usually only used it on the lower settings. I am looking at the Alpine CDA-9887 and am somewhat dissapointed that they went back to that terrible sounding Media Xpander (MX) function for this unit. You Pioneer guys are lucky to have that included in your units :).

The one in my sig. has BBE.
:D

whitemax
03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
90's Alpine gear... right :)?

zSnb
03-12-2007, 01:50 AM
9857 ftw

laff

pdtran
03-12-2007, 04:33 AM
lol coo...so it looks like a lot of people use and like BBE also. i am assuming that it won't damage my sub because I haven't heard clipping, just that with BBE on, it really comes alive.

supa_c
03-12-2007, 04:39 AM
I have to agree. MX sounds disgusting on my alpine 7998, 1,2 or 3. But when i had my pioneer 940mp in on BBE+2 it sounded very nice.

bdawson72
03-12-2007, 04:50 AM
hmmmmm

IamDeMan
03-12-2007, 06:46 AM
I don't care for BBE or MX. Both are too exxagerated.

google123
03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
+2 :)

supa_c
03-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I don't care for BBE or MX. Both are too exxagerated.
Thats why you can go minus in BBE ;)

whitemax
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
On my Pioneer unit I had BBE mostly on the -3 setting.

POLKAT
03-15-2007, 02:54 AM
What is the difference in having it turned off as opposed to a negative setting? I have it turned off on my 880prs.

imo, it just seems like a fancy "loudness" button. I can tweak the eq a bit and it sounds almost identical as having it turned on.

supa_c
03-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Thats one of those things only your ears can tell you.
It is and isnt a loudness button. I wouldnt say it does the same thing because with loudness on it still sounds the same, just louder. BBE you can actually notice a difference.

champaned_out
03-15-2007, 04:25 AM
whats the other stuff on the 880prs.... like the BMX and the Comp options.. the mannual doesnt do a good job in explaning its purpose and effects

POLKAT
03-15-2007, 04:31 AM

Uh oh it's magic...:bsflag:

Anything that you hear is measurable.

Sorry, but it looks like they have gotten you with the marketing gimmick hook line and sinker. (Bose anyone?)

A loudness button does not make it "still sound the same, just louder". Thats what a volume control is. A loudness button boosts the frequencies that our ears are not as sensitive to hearing at low volume levels, mainly below 1khz and above 5khz.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=loudness

I am not saying that that is the function of BBE, but they are essentially boosting certain frequencies to make the music more pleasing to the ears well as messing with the "phase" relationships of high and low frequencies. For someone that doesn't know how to properly tune their vehicle, I suppose that this is an easy option.

Imo is sounds artificial. You want your components to add as little as possible to the music. That is how to get the "live" sound that they talk about in that link on post #3.

supa_c
03-15-2007, 05:23 AM
You just realized your calling BS on your own ears...
:waycrazy:
Please dont insult my intellengence by saying that I dont know how to properly tune my vehicle.

Decipha
03-15-2007, 05:39 AM
i with polkat on this... i personally think BBE makes music sound like crap. i never use it on any of my personal vehicles nor any that i do installs on.

my .02

POLKAT
03-15-2007, 05:57 AM
You just realized your calling BS on your own ears...
:waycrazy:
Please dont insult my intellengence by saying that I dont know how to properly tune my vehicle.
After reading my post again I admit I sounded a bit like a pompous ***.

I apologize, I thought you were answering my question of
What is the difference in having it turned off as opposed to a negative setting? with

My mistake and I did not intend to insult your intelligence and imply that you did not know how to properly tune your vehicle, I just feel that there are better ways to properly tune a vehicle. my .02 as well.

:peace:

supa_c
03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Its cool man. Misunderstandings happen all the time.
I still think that Eclipse's sound better than any h/u right out of the box in its price range.
No artificial enhancement needed. Just a simple parametric EQ to get rid of those peaks and valleys you get with every speaker setup.

Keeshwah
05-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm bringing this thread back because I still don't have any answers. I have BBE on my Alpine CDA-9856 and it comes in three presets. When it's on I can turn my volume up to 20 but with it off I can turn it off I can do at least 30. It sounds nicer on but it can get louder when it's off. What gives?

frzninvt
05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
It is not a loudness compensation at all: Read here:

http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_HDS/

The MX in Alpine units is designed primarily to augment the poor SQ from mp3's and not generally standard Redbook CD's. It can sound good with the EQ set flat and used at minimal settings with CD's that are lacking.

Most new CD's are so oversaturated/over-recorded from trying to cram so much output on them the MX and BBE makes them sound unnatural and muddled, but that is why they can be turned "OFF" people.

BBE also made outboard stand alone units that are far better than the stripped down versions in head units. The models were the 3012 and 4012 they do pass through eBay on rare occasion.

If you really want something special use a DBX 3BX-DS 3-band Dynamic Range Controller (home component) with a modified sine wave power inverter and be blown away by the different in the immediacy of the drum attacks and overall dynamics.

Richard Clark secretly used a DBX 5BX-DS 5 Band Dynamic Range Controller (very rare/expensive) in his Buick Grand National to give you an idea as to their performance capabilities.

Keeshwah
05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Ok so it's not a loudness button but why can't I turn my speakers up more? I have Alpine Type-S speakers, can they just not handle the sound range?

frzninvt
05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Are you running them off the deck's internal power or an amplifier, if it's the deck power the additional strain placed on it by the BBE circuit that may be boosting gains at certain frequencies will overdrive the small internal amplifier causing it to break up when pushed.

Use the BBE in the lower ranges like +1, +2

When you go into the - (minus) numbers you are actually compressing the signal somewhat which is useful with some of the oversaturated recordings out these days.