PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Onkyo HT overall?

bigbangtheory
03-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, my parents are wanting to get a new surround sound setup going and I told them to check into Onkyo. They want all the goodies to go with it and price is not an option..........welll keep around 1500 or less. So what would you guys recommend?

I know Klispch is pretty good or used to be. I have been out of the surround game for a while and perfectly content with my JBL center/towers and sony surrounds/sub. Does me justice. But they want to go pretty big with this.

Give me some idear's. Thanks

Scoobydoo
03-09-2007, 04:07 AM
For $1500 there are alot of options and most people will recommend what they have themselves. There is a reason they bought it:)

I have a Denon/Paradigm setup and it is great, so that is what I recommend listening to, but there are many other options in that price range as well.

btnhfan
03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I have an onkyo receiver and I have been very pleased with it.

Pl8er
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Onkyo is pretty good stuff, but I am more of a Denon fan myself.

I've always been a carver audio fan too, so sunfire audio would be good, but I'm pretty sure its really expensive these days.

bigbangtheory
03-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I told them about Onkyo because my buddy has a really expensive reciever. Paid over 1400 for just the reciever back in the day. Now they have come down in price some what and the same reciever he has basically with a few new udated changes goes for 700 bucks. So thinking of them grabbing that reciever for sure. Now the speakers is another thing. I like Klischph, but only heard a few surround sound setups.

So for speakers someone through out paradigam. Never heard of it myself, but seen a few in my one thread running them.

Any other suggestions?

joetama
03-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Denon/Yamaha>Onkyo

But, if you want to have a really good system B&K, Rotel, Parasound, or Arcam is the way to go....

adio
03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
there are some new denons out 2307 or somethin like that, just look for the letters CI after the model number

Ignatowski
03-10-2007, 01:56 PM
my J&R Music World 99.99 Onkyo refurb Kicks arce

bigbangtheory
03-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Denon/Yamaha>Onkyo

But, if you want to have a really good system B&K, Rotel, Parasound, or Arcam is the way to go....

I read a bunch of reviews comparing the two top recievers that sell in Onkyo/Denon and Onkyo had much, much better reviews. It wasnt much of difference numbers wise. Was 4.7 to 4.3, but the reviews itself were better on the Onkyo to read.

Edit, just found out my parents got the 804 Onkyo 7.1 reciever. I think it should be a good pick up.

Now they are down to what sub they want. I recommended Kliscph, however some of the reviews I have read have strayed me away from that at the moment.

What would be a good HT sub? Are JBL's anygood? I love my tower speakers, but never heard their subs.

bigbangtheory
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
my J&R Music World 99.99 Onkyo refurb Kicks arce

How is J&R on shipping? I was looking at some JBL products for myself. Pretty good, on time and everything on par?

joetama
03-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I read a bunch of reviews comparing the two top recievers that sell in Onkyo/Denon and Onkyo had much, much better reviews. It wasnt much of difference numbers wise. Was 4.7 to 4.3, but the reviews itself were better on the Onkyo to read.

Edit, just found out my parents got the 804 Onkyo 7.1 reciever. I think it should be a good pick up.

Now they are down to what sub they want. I recommended Kliscph, however some of the reviews I have read have strayed me away from that at the moment.

What would be a good HT sub? Are JBL's anygood? I love my tower speakers, but never heard their subs.

I am just not saying Onkyo isn't good. I am just saying this from my personal experience.

1loudsuv
03-10-2007, 03:26 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/4244-6466_7-0.html?query=receiver&sort=editorsrating&fOrder=&type=&tag=srt.rat

denon>onkyo

but if your going bang for the buck onkyo wins hands down. but if you want something better then denon is the thing to get

ill be be getting a rotel 1095 for my denon avr 2807 soon :)

joetama
03-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Are you talking about a RMB-1095???

1loudsuv
03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Are you talking about a RMB-1095???

yes :)

bigbangtheory
03-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Well they went with the Onkyo reciever, just looking for some sub ideas now.

They for some reason like the JBL sub, which dont get me wrong I love my JBL towers and center, but not sure about their bass.

Checked into Velodyne. Are they any good? Was through CC though and when I went to Amazon.com the same speaker on there was known as Velodyne Acoustics and Velodyne was much more expensive.

Max_Power
03-13-2007, 01:47 AM
look into velodyne, awesome bass for the price. You wont be sorry with the Onkyo, I have had mine for a year and a half and used it almost everyday without any problems.

bk12321
03-13-2007, 01:50 AM
my onkyo tx-sr600 i got for 150 shipped off ebay in immaculate condition

and i love it

bigbangtheory
03-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Cool guys, thanks for the replys and help.

They went with the Onkyo-804 7.1 and then went with the JBL 12" sub that is 300rms. They got a hella deal on it. Then they are thinking just getting all JBL center and bookshelf speakers as well. They love mine and arent too pricey. They have reconsidered the 1500 bucks limit, lol!