PDA

View Full Version : My Car Missing ?

Coolwazabi
03-08-2007, 05:25 PM
what does it mean when a mechanic says "your car is missing a little" and i don't mean missing as in its not there..

i got another problem...

when i gas it a little "from stop" its kinda jurks as if it was going to shut down on me... then once i reach about 15mph its rides smooth... is that what the mechanic meant ? and what are causes of it missing in that range of 0-15mph ?

BASSMEKANIK
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
what does it mean when a mechanic says "your car is missing a little" and i don't mean missing as in its not there..

i got another problem...

when i gas it a little "from stop" its kinda jurks as if it was going to shut down on me... then once i reach about 15mph its rides smooth... is that what the mechanic meant ? and what are causes of it missing in that range of 0-15mph ?

it could be a number of things... plugs , wires , coil... really depends on what kind of car it is.

Prowler573
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
"Missing" is a generic term for misfiring.
This can have a multitude of potential causes, however...

Duke
03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I would change the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Also, get one of those little gap gauges to make sure your spark plugs have the proper size of gap.

Polecat
03-08-2007, 06:57 PM
first question....what kind of car?

Coolwazabi
03-08-2007, 07:16 PM
1979 cadillac... v8 7.0 liter 425... um... 2 door rear wheel drive...

whats the worse case scnerieo ? could it be when i gave my car a tune up and not wire the cap and plugs right ?

azbass
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM

i got another problem...

ask him to explain it, duh

Coolwazabi
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
ask him to explain it, duh

i took it to a guy who only knew how to adjust carbs... so he knew what the problem was just didn't know what it could be or how to fix it...

maldecido33
03-08-2007, 07:23 PM
then take it to someone who knows?...

Coolwazabi
03-08-2007, 07:27 PM
then take it to someone who knows?...

i thought someone here would know or have a similar experience :crap:

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 07:27 PM

i got another problem...

your car was jerking because under acceleration is the time when fuel is being dumped into your cylinders, they dont all go up and down at the same time, they are offset, and the time your feeling it jerk is when the cylinder that is misfiring, that piston is at the top of its extension when the spark should ignite the fuel and push the piston back down. thats not happening. so the force from the rest of the 7 pistons on their cycles is the only thing keeping you going. get it fixed. its possibly scaring your cylinder walls and giving you worse gas mileage than your already getting.

your not feeling it while your maintaining speed because its not as rough of a time as while your accelerating, but its still happening.

Coolwazabi
03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
your car was jerking because under acceleration is the time when fuel is being dumped into your cylinders, they dont all go up and down at the same time, they are offset, and the time your feeling it jerk is when the cylinder that is misfiring, that piston is at the top of its extension when the spark should ignite the fuel and push the piston back down. thats not happening. so the force from the rest of the 7 pistons on their cycles is the only thing keeping you going. get it fixed. its possibly scaring your cylinder walls and giving you worse gas mileage than your already getting.

your not feeling it while your maintaining speed because its not as rough of a time as while your accelerating, but its still happening.

THANK YOU.. maybe i'll buy one of ur MT's now..:eyebrow: ... thats what is happening exactly... and is 5mpg bad for a 425 ?

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
THANK YOU.. maybe i'll buy one of ur MT's now..:eyebrow: ... thats what is happening exactly... and is 5mpg bad for a 425 ?

no problem. it may be something as simple as your distributor got a good jolt as you went over a set of train tracks or hit a pothole and it came loose (there is a little metal tab that rotates in a cirlce inside the distributor, and as that tab spins, it makes contact with 8 separate metal tabs, this tells what cylinder when to fire) so maybe its just not making contact with one of them. or maybe it got wet. happens to me all the time when i go playin in the mud. (but if it got wet, it would have gone away). distributor is behind your motor, trace your plug wires back and they'll all meet up on the distributor. if you can move it around, thats your prob. take it off, reinstall it. (ontop of the distributor cap there will be 1 more wire than the amount of cylinders you have, so 9 if you have a V8)

maybe your distributor is loose.
maybe one of your plug wires got pinched.
maybe you have a dirty spark plug(s).

^^those are 3 easy, cheap things to check/replace before you take it to a shop for an *** raping.

and as far as your mpg goes, if your gettin 5 after youve been having trouble, then yes, thats bad. as far as thats what youve always gotten, it may be because of the way you drive. if i take it easy on my truck i can get like 15-16, but i like to give it gas and drive fast. so i get 11-12 usually. if you wannt get better gas mileage, lighten up on the pedal. assuming everything mechanically is working perfectly.

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 07:45 PM
i made a few edits^^

tommyk90
03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
You could also have a bad fuel pump or a dirty fuel filter. My truck had the same problem once as your car does now, and I replaced the fuel pump and filter and it fixed the problem.

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
You could also have a bad fuel pump or a dirty fuel filter. My truck had the same problem once as your car does now, and I replaced the fuel pump and filter and it fixed the problem.

thats must have been one really dirty filter..and they usually give you alot of fore warning before they get that bad. youll be able to tell in your driving/revving

tommyk90
03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
thats must have been one really dirty filter..and they usually give you alot of fore warning before they get that bad. youll be able to tell in your driving/revving

My truck has been through 3 fuel pumps. :crying:

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 07:53 PM
ouch. my truck likes to chew up universal joints

tommyk90
03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
ouch. my truck likes to chew up universal joints

My truck likes fuel pumps (3 of them) and starters (3 of those too). :(

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 08:01 PM
My truck likes fuel pumps (3 of them) and starters (3 of those too). :(

go to autozone and pick up Lucas fuel additive. its good ****. all you need is like 8oz per tank and it cleans your whole fuel system. its like $8 for a 36oz bottle. and you get incredible gas mileage on the tank you put it in, and your truck runs smooth as a mother. you can put as much as you want in a tank tho and it wont hurt it. itll just be more concentrated. and each bottle guarantees to pay for itself in fuel mileage alone. and it does.

tommyk90
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
go to autozone and pick up Lucas fuel additive. its good ****. all you need is like 8oz per tank and it cleans your whole fuel system. its like $8 for a 36oz bottle. and you get incredible gas mileage on the tank you put it in, and your truck runs smooth as a mother. you can put as much as you want in a tank tho and it wont hurt it. itll just be more concentrated. and each bottle guarantees to pay for itself in fuel mileage alone. and it does.

I may have to look into that for my next long trip. :)

Truck has been running great lately though, which is good for me because I have no money to fix it. :laugh:

billabongcr
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I may have to look into that for my next long trip. :)

Truck has been running great lately though, which is good for me because I have no money to fix it. :laugh:

its great stuff i love it. i throw some in atleast every 4th or 5th tank. not only your fuel system, but it lubricates a bunch of things in your motor and lot of other crap too.

dkmesa
03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
he most likely meant that it is misfiring

chuksw9ve
03-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I had a similer problem on my 77 cutlass.Turns out it was the accelerator pump.What kinda carb you got?If its stock,probably a rochester quadrajet.I think thats what gm uses standard on most older models.

Coolwazabi
03-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I had a similer problem on my 77 cutlass.Turns out it was the accelerator pump.What kinda carb you got?If its stock,probably a rochester quadrajet.I think thats what gm uses standard on most older models.

i bought and already installed the new carb "edelbrock q jet" or something like that... i'm at work currently so... i post more info later...:D

Coolwazabi
03-10-2007, 05:22 PM
ok i put new coil,distro cap, plugs, wires... it runs better now... but still shakes pretty hard when i gas it from stopping... BUT this time... only when i just started the car... after driving it about 10min it runs smooth... any ideas ?

jdawg
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
thats almost common for a carbd car, make sure your timing is on, did the carb come with everything and someone who know carbs adjust it properly?

Coolwazabi
03-10-2007, 11:25 PM
thats almost common for a carbd car, make sure your timing is on, did the carb come with everything and someone who know carbs adjust it properly?

yeah... what do you mean timing is on ?