PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass noob

nemesismachine
01-30-2003, 08:43 AM
i need some help glassing the trunk of my car. i can do the bottom, with tin foil and 2x2 lumber, but the top baffles me. i want to put a mmats juggy 12 back there, and i dont know how to make the top of the box so it will support all the weight. any ideas? i need all the ones you guys (and girls) have. thanks.

btw, this will be the 1st box im making out of fiberglass, so go easy on me

ramos
01-30-2003, 11:27 AM
it's pretty easy my man. When your glassing the spare tire well. Simply glass in a wooden frame. Use some 2 x 2 and make a square frame just a little larger than the tire well. And use this to attach your baffle to. THen just use some 3/4" MDF for your baffle . :)

nemesismachine
01-31-2003, 09:12 AM
wow, thats easier than chinese arithmatic. thanks mandinga :D

F150Matt
02-02-2003, 12:37 AM
yea unless you want to make it angle a certain direction and look real slick. Then you cut out some mounting rings(or ring in your case with 1 sub) and build another frame to connect to the bottom frame. Wrap it in fiberglass cloth, soak it in resin, flip it over and thicken it up from the bottom side(saves tons of sanding). This looks really sweet! But requires a lot more glassing and time. I've been building a fiberglass box to custom fit in a single cab chevy for a RF 15'' sub that is 7.6'' deep. I've been taking pictures throughout the process and when I get them developed I'll make a website with step by step maybe. Good luck. Fiberglass is a pain in the a$$ but it looks extremely good!