PDA

View Full Version : Seas vs rainbow vs cystal vs dls vs cdt

Darren5531
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I would really like to buy a nice set of mids and then in the comming months add/upgrade tweeter and crossovers. I running some alpines and pioneers in my car right now and I am looking for something alot better. I want used and a very good deal since I am on a tight budget. I have used the search button many times and I have read everything on seas and most everything on rainbow vs crystal. I am hudge into sq and I don't really care about spl that much. I would love to get some rainbows but it seems like there aren't any used for sale and they are pretty pricey. Right now my top pick is the seas ca18rnx because of the price and all of the great things I have heard about them. I would really like to hear a night and day difference between what I am running now and what I will get. I will be pushing them with 100-150 rms each.

Here is what I have found so far:

1. Seas ca18rnx

2. Dls Ms6

3. Rainbow slc265 kicks

4. Rainbow sl165 euro

5. Crsytal sscs6

6. CDT HD-6

7. Dayton Reference 7"

8. Aura mr5

9. Peerless exclusive 7" (if I am able to find used)

10. Peerless definition 6" component set

11. Vifa xg18

12. Rainbow Dreamline SLX 265.02 comp set

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time,

Darren

ismelllikepoop
03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I got my dls ms6's and liked them. I hear all about rainbows but havent personally heard them, and also the crystals are supposed to be nice. I am skeptical about cdt as a whole, they don't look like they have a good build-quality and outside of this forum i never heard of them. Hell take my used ms6's which i think would be a good bet pricewise.

Fixxer
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
If you have the $$ I like these better then the HD-6 mid...M6, ES-06, or the ES-06+..

http://www.cdtaudio.com/new_breed_drivers.htm

leonsv
03-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I would really like to buy a nice set of mids and then in the comming months add/upgrade tweeter and crossovers. I running some alpines and pioneers in my car right now and I am looking for something alot better. I want used and a very good deal since I am on a tight budget. I have used the search button many times and I have read everything on seas and most everything on rainbow vs crystal. I am hudge into sq and I don't really care about spl that much. I would love to get some rainbows but it seems like there aren't any used for sale and they are pretty pricey. Right now my top pick is the seas ca18rnx because of the price and all of the great things I have heard about them. I would really like to hear a night and day difference between what I am running now and what I will get. I will be pushing them with 100-150 rms each.

Here is what I have found so far:

1. Seas ca18rnx

2. Dls Ms6

3. Rainbow slc265 kicks

4. Rainbow sl165 euro

5. Crsytal sscs6

6. CDT HD-6

7. Dayton Reference 7"

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time,

Darren

if you are really into sq, i would go for the peerless exclusive 7", those have very nice midrange. do some research on them at diymobileaudio.com

Darren5531
03-05-2007, 10:04 PM
if you are really into sq, i would go for the peerless exclusive 7", those have very nice midrange. do some research on them at diymobileaudio.com

I have been reading alot about those and I just haven't been able to find any used for sale. Thanks for all the replies so far. I added more options to my post.

THANKS AGAIN

leonsv
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I have been reading alot about those and I just haven't been able to find any used for sale. Thanks for all the replies so far. I added more options to my post.

THANKS AGAIN

why do you need to buy them used? they are not that expensive... $20 more than the ca18rnx. I would really suggest them if you're into sq. They are pretty hard to beat for the price.

Darren5531
03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Well I am on a very tight budget but still wanting to get the best speakers for the money. Do you know anybody who has the peerless?

///M5
03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
I'd like some clarification.

You say you want to buy mids now and upgrade your crossovers later, but then you list a bunch of DIY drivers. What are you planning on crossing them over with now? That alone will make a huge difference. On the same note, what are you upgrading them to later?

Darren5531
03-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I am planning on buying some crossovers, not really sure on what kind yet. Probably something that goes along with the specs of the driver that I end up buying. I would really like to not have to upgrade the drivers later on. I am planning on buying some seas neo tweeters or something comparable depending on how high the driver can play while still sounding good. I am going to be doing things in parts and I think drivers are the first step. From what I have been reading rainbow slc625 kicks are basically the best comp set for the price. I would like to get something that is comparable to that, but for cheaper of course.

leonsv
03-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I am planning on buying some crossovers, not really sure on what kind yet. Probably something that goes along with the specs of the driver that I end up buying. I would really like to not have to upgrade the drivers later on. I am planning on buying some seas neo tweeters or something comparable depending on how high the driver can play while still sounding good. I am going to be doing things in parts and I think drivers are the first step. From what I have been reading rainbow slc625 kicks are basically the best comp set for the price. I would like to get something that is comparable to that, but for cheaper of course.

hmm, i really like the new pioneer prs720;)

JimJ
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Go active...it'd be silly not to with those kind of speakers...

Darren5531
03-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Doesn't going active take a higher end headunit for tuning? I've been reading up on the thread about active vs passive and I am still a little confused. So how much would the crossovers for going active cost or the same ones as passive? Or is the active crossover built into the amp? Sorry I have been reading up on it just kind of confusing at times.

I found some peerless excutive 7"s for sale do you think those would be the best or should I keep looking? Does anybody really know how these compare to maybe rainbow mids as far as tonal quality and warmth of the sound?

Thanks for all the advice keep it comin.

alphakenny1
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
i guess yea it does require an hu that has a good xover. not necessarily "high end" if you will. you can easily find let's say an alpine 9813 that has a 3 way xover built for like 150 or so and it'll be sufficient to run an active setup.

Darren5531
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
So it takes a hu with multiple built in xovers? So from what I am understanding active uses a 4 channel powering one tweet or mid and there are no crossovers connected to them, taking a hu with xovers would give you more eq and the xovers on the amp will help as well. With having an active system there is alot more fine tuning to the system rather then just connect this try this and your good to go as if you would do on a passive system?

Do you think the peerless mids would work well without being active for awhile or is pointless not to do the whole thing in one step?

Darren5531
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
So everybody is saying that peerless exclusive 7" will be my best choice?

Has anybody heard anything about the rainbow sl165 euro?

Darren5531
03-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Added more options

leonsv
03-06-2007, 11:53 PM
if price is an issue, i'd go witht he 8" dayton reference speaker. They are very nice for the price. Match it with a tweeter that can be crossed at 2khz or below and you are set.

Darren5531
03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I think I have decided to get a component set instead of buying it in peices so it could be cheaper. My options are now the following.

1.Peerless defintion 6"

2. CDT EF 61

3. Focal 165a

4. DLS Ms6

5. Crystal sscs6

6. Rainbow dreamline slx 265.02

5 and 6 are a little to expensive for me but if it is really worth the extra money I'm sure I can find a way. Let me know what you think about these.

Thanks