PDA

View Full Version : Question...

scarysoul
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I read this article from elitecaraudio.com then I came across this paragrah where he said...

"I have found that with kick panels, it is best to use a second tweet with an IDENTICAL crossover setting to the one used on the main tweets. Many guys will argue that you must crossover the added tweets much higher (like 8-10KHz of so), but this simply is not the case. I like to simply connect a second passive network in parallel with the main passive network to run the additional tweets, and place the resistor(s) inline BEFORE the second crossover (if you put a resistor AFTER a passive network, you will alter the crossover frequency DRAMATICALLY!!!)."

what does he mean by that? is it something like wiring amp to passive crossover then crossover to two tweeter and put the resistor between the crossover and the second tweeter? or amp to two passive crossover and put the resistor between the amp and the second crossover?

Gary S
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Need more information... do you have a link? What is the purpose of the second set of tweeters... "image enhancement", to lift the sound stage? What is the resistor for... to attenuate/lower the volume of the tweet?

scarysoul
03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
here's the link to the whole article

http://www.elitecaraudio.com/article.php?sid=21

Gary S
03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
...or amp to two passive crossover and put the resistor between the amp and the second crossover?

- This is what he is saying.

[QUOTE=scarysoul;2818883]

Many guys will argue that you must crossover the added tweets much higher (like 8-10KHz of so)...
QUOTE]

- I might try 7Khz, 6db per octave high pass ... all you will need is a non-polar capacitor, or a cap otherwise made for passive speaker crossovers.

Also, I believe CDT Audio sells upstage kits... perhaps they have more information on their site, you might want to check that out.

scarysoul
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
erm... so does that mean the two crossover are sharing the same channel from the amp or different channel?

phyphoestilic
03-07-2007, 01:10 PM
It means 2 sets of tweeters set with the same x-over point.

It's done with the kick panels because the staging seems really low sometimes. So the 2nd pair is used in a higher area (A-pillars most likely) to raise the staging a little. There are some good discussions on diymobileaudio about it.

phyphoestilic
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
erm... so does that mean the two crossover are sharing the same channel from the amp or different channel?

I think same channel, since it says running it in parallel. So like signal from amp Y-splited to 2 sets of crossovers with 1 tweeters on each (so 4 tweeters total)

scarysoul
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I think same channel, since it says running it in parallel. So like signal from amp Y-splited to 2 sets of crossovers with 1 tweeters on each (so 4 tweeters total)

great... i haven't had the time (or urge) to learn active setup, so i'm still relying on passive setup... but now i'm quite interested to try kick-panel setup...

erm... btw... how does this resistor look like? or would reversing the polarity of the 2nd tweeter would help to avoid the tweeter at the a-pillar to sound louder or faster than the tweeter from the kick panel?