PDA

View Full Version : Mb Quart vs Alpine Components

JB16
03-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Planning on buying some new components at a store that will install and such, i am no such person to install myself ;)

My local store has The Mb Quart ( i am assuming reference series, he said they were $250) and the Alpine type R components, he highly recommended the quarts.

However, I heard some bad things from different people on these boards from the quarts (too high, etc.) but also many good things. But i haven't heard much about the new type R components.

FYI, I will be running them off an amp

If you had a choice of these two component systems, what would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance

iceteebone
03-04-2007, 05:39 PM
can't you listen to them at the store? my main problem with the MB's was the tweeter was too harsh for my liking. can't comment on the alpine's

marcusb419er
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
i wouldn't do either one, i would go with jl's.

JB16
03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
If you would go with either, which one would you pick though?
I listen to all kinds of music. I like my rap with a strong beat thats powerful yet not muffled
While i like my jack johnson and rock with on point vocals and instrumentals, with an emphasis on acoustic instruments.

I am going to see if they have em hooked up in the store so i can make my decision, however, i don't think they have the type R's hooked up because they just received them.

More Opinions would be awsome.

Thanks!

Hoodlum007
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
i hate MBq's alum tweeters, way too harsh for my ears. For the $250 that your getting the Ref line you can have the higher Premuim line for less online.

I would personally choose a comp with a soft dome tweeter.

JB16
03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I am well aware that i can purchase better systems off the internet for the same price but, sadly, that is not a choice

More opinion on these two component systems, especially the type R's would be helpful
Thanks.

azbass
03-05-2007, 09:33 PM
anything is better then mb quart really..

JB16
03-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Alright what if the guy at shop WAS actually talking about the premiums instead of the reference... do the quarts STILL **** in your opinion?
Are the premiums that much of a step up?

A/D/S-MbQuart
03-06-2007, 02:46 AM
anything is better then mb quart really..

:laugh:

chucku
03-06-2007, 03:51 PM
MBQ are good strong loud speakers but the tweets are harsh. I know, I have them. I heard some alpines and they sounded much smoother but not as loud. Listen and make your choice.

A/D/S-MbQuart
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Harshness can be tamed with a good amp and EQ like audiocontrol. Have it RTA tuned and then say it's to harsh and i will believe it :D

chucku
03-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I am in the process of obtaining a prs 880 and will be running an alpine 45x4 to the tweets and a jl300/4 to the mids. I hope it does clean up the sound. I dont know what rta tuned is though? I might see if I can get a local shop to do the tuning and set the gains once I get everything installed the way I want it. Then I can fine tune it to my ear from there.