PDA

View Full Version : The Tedious Process of Tweeking a New Head Unit :)

MBrock4u
03-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Today was the first time I have really had to play with my new X-990. Work has had me so busy. Certainly does involve alot of time, but this in no suprise. My x-589 took me quite a while to figure out . I do have to say the sq on this deck is amazing from what I've been able to figure out so far. This is a much better looking deck that what pictures I have seen on line. One thing that did suprise me though was the difference in the 5 volt preouts. It more of a difference than what I though it would be compared to a 4 volt preouts. I went from having rear fill to a rear sound stage. Turning the rear gains down took care of that problem rather easily. Anybody having the Excelon X-990 who can give me some advise would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will continue to tweek, adjust and listen. Thanks!

MBrock4u
03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
After spending more time with this deck, with time alignment and what not, my front stage has exploded. Even with lowering the gains, it almost like overunning my sub. Looks like I will have to readjust my sub to compensate. Looks like I will have my work cut out for me to get this baby right. I will say one thing though, this is very loud and very clear.

mr_kebo
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Im about to to attack this project mine wont be as tedidus as yours since my deck is the avic-d2. i dont even know where to begin on this really. This is my first real setup ever so .

nismos14
03-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Try tuning an active setup :)

msimon
03-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Today was the first time I have really had to play with my new X-990. Work has had me so busy. Certainly does involve alot of time, but this in no suprise. My x-589 took me quite a while to figure out . I do have to say the sq on this deck is amazing from what I've been able to figure out so far. This is a much better looking deck that what pictures I have seen on line. One thing that did suprise me though was the difference in the 5 volt preouts. It more of a difference than what I though it would be compared to a 4 volt preouts. I went from having rear fill to a rear sound stage. Turning the rear gains down took care of that problem rather easily. Anybody having the Excelon X-990 who can give me some advise would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will continue to tweek, adjust and listen. Thanks!

Considering all of the factors you changed when switching decks, how can you say that a 1 volt increase in preout voltage can be attributed to the differences you heard? Seems kind of uneducated to me.

MBrock4u
03-08-2007, 06:33 AM
It would seem so, but thats what happened. You can think what you want, but I know my system, and oh btw you are not here to listen to it .

msimon
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
It would seem so, but thats what happened. You can think what you want, but I know my system, and oh btw you are not here to listen to it .

So sir, please tell me how you scientifically determined that among all of the variables that changed, that preout voltage was the reason for the differences you heard. I don't have to listen to it and I never said you did not hear a difference. However, I know for certain that you are an ignorant fool if you make a claim like that with no scientific reasoning.

gatorgrizz27
03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
It seems within reason to me that if you have a higher preout voltage than before and don't readjust your gains, of course it will be louder. Your amps might be clipping now and when you reset the gains with a DMM, you will probably have to turn them down. The higher input voltage requires less gain on the amps to get the same power. I don't see it having any effect on SQ, but making it louder sure, its the same as turning the gains up on your amps......

Ignatowski
03-15-2007, 06:53 AM
I have an Excelon,2 actually (789.889)
and compared to Alpine they were super easy to set up
but not as easy as Pioneer but better sounding than
both Alpine and Pioneer.....

:D

MBrock4u
03-16-2007, 06:41 AM
As far as the gains, the rears were the ones that just seem to explode. I have had to come way down on the gains there. Rears were just super loud. Fronts were not affect that much?? There is alot you can do to tweek this X-990, the 5 volt preout was just one of many things. Many different sq a person can go with. My X-589 took some time to get right. Once I started to read and get familiar with the deck, it's not hard to navagate, it simply come down to what sound I am looking for and I guess I am very picky here. Its all good though. :)