PDA

View Full Version : can it be too big?

chinxtaboi
01-29-2003, 01:05 AM
can a sealed enclosure be too big???

im runnin 2 12" kicker compvrs... buildn a new custom box (20x14x14) per chamber leaves an internal vol of 2.27 cu ft. per chamber..... is that too big fo my subs???

is there and audible difference between a smaller sealed box compared to a bigger one??

thanks for any input
:)

rain377
01-29-2003, 07:13 PM
i'm not exactly sure if it can be "too big" i'm guessing to and extremem it obviously would be. the only difference with sealed boxes is that the bigger you make them the lower your subs will hit. i've found that in my experience if you want a 12" to hit the full range it is supposed to to build it exactly to the manufacturers specs. you can however chance the frequency put out by your box by changing the size a little. make the box bigger for lower frequencies and smaller for higher. thats about all i got

evo2k3
01-29-2003, 08:12 PM
yes, you get a deeper reasponse as you increase the box size to the max recomended size. Exceeding that cause less pressure on the cone and what many people describe as a "sloppy" sounding sub. as for those specific subs, that size it probably a bit to large to a sealed box, you could try porting them because the subs require more air space in ported enclosures.

choochooSS
01-30-2003, 09:14 PM
why go sealed when you can go ported?
eehhh

chinxtaboi
01-30-2003, 10:38 PM
well.... i wanna go sealed cuz i upgraded my amp (more power) .. and i wanna some more sq

Wonderbread
02-01-2003, 04:19 AM
plus, it greatly reduces the pwoer handling of the driver...

Wonderbread
02-01-2003, 02:00 PM
heh, whoops, sorry dawg...
hiows this for some new info...
it becomes "IB" when the back wave produced byt he driver is allowed to grow to the poin that it can collide with and interfere with teh front wave...
;)

Wonderbread
02-02-2003, 05:23 AM
:crazy: :crazy: what the heck was I thinking, lol. Goddammit, I know tha ttoo.. :crazy: