PDA

View Full Version : Awesome dampening!

caustik_bt
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
So, I just installed my new headunit as my first upgrade in car audio (it was a lot of fun not having the right tools), and I was cranking it a bit. I decided I'd go out and do a test drive and get some gas, but I first had to brush some snow off of the car (I installed the HU in the middle of an insane blizzard :p: ). I got outside of the car, closed the door and noticed little difference in volume between inside and out of the car. Awwwwesome! Looks like dampening is now a priority for upgrading to comps...

CAMSHAFT
03-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Dampening is making something moist. Damping / Deadening is the correct term. Otherwise good luck with your project.

Start here for great product.

www.b-quiet.com

schleppydotnet
03-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't be so sure CAMSHAFT:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dampening

And to the original poster, sound dampening is great!

phantom240
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Okay since neither of you know enough about deadening to make an intelligent post (no offense)... Take a look at this site. www.sounddeadenershowdown.com It goes into detail about what deadener does and how it works. Of course some of the info on specific deadeners (like eDead products) is outdated. eDead is now butyl based, instead of asphalt based. Good luck!

duckfart
03-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Get some Raammat BXT. SOlid stuff for the $$$$

headknocker
03-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Get some Raammat BXT. SOlid stuff for the $$$$

X2

And you find a nicer guy to deal with than Rick. Second Skin is another great product to keep in mind.

Hoodlum007
03-04-2007, 10:49 AM
anyone ever use fatmatt?

phantom240
03-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Fatmat = trash. If youre really looking for a cheap solution go with eDead. If you wanna do it right the first layer, second skin damplifier or raammat bxt.

AudioAnonymous
03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Cactus Sounds db blue is definately the most "solid" deadener on the market. :laugh:

iceteebone
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Dampening is making something moist. Damping / Deadening is the correct term. Otherwise good luck with your project.

Start here for great product.

www.b-quiet.com

I wouldn't be so sure CAMSHAFT:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dampening

And to the original poster, sound dampening is great!

LOL grammar ninja pwnd :laugh:

fatmat is an asphalt based deadener and will work if you use it right. basically sound deadener adds mass to your panels to reduce vibration and deflect soundwaves. so you can do that with asphalt based deadener. what you'll have to do make sure the surface is clean and dry, heat up the material and roll it on nice and tight. with butyl based deadener like secondskin, you just peal and stick. much easier to work with, accomplishes the same thing, but is more expensive. in using both, i feel it's worth it too spend the extra on a butyl based deadener due to its ease of use. once you stick asphalt mat, it's stuck, butyl mat you can move after you stick it.

Schuey2002
03-05-2007, 02:00 AM
I spent a few hours today putting Second Skin Damplifier Pro in one of the doors of my Taco. After applying two layers to the outer skin, and one to the inner, my door now has closes with a nice reassuring *thoomp*.. :naughty:

It's awesome stuff !! :thumbupw:

bdawson72
03-05-2007, 02:01 AM
gah