PDA

View Full Version : going active

orioles26
03-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Ive been reading about active setups. If i have a set of kicker rs6.5 components and a four channel amp can i just run the mids off channel 1+2 and the tweeters off channel 3+4, or is it more complicated than that? I am thinking of upgrading to a headunit like the 880prs but is a headunit like that necesary? Do i still use the passive crossover i got with the set?

XaznKewLguyX
03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Ive been reading about active setups. If i have a set of kicker rs6.5 components and a four channel amp can i just run the mids off channel 1+2 and the tweeters off channel 3+4, or is it more complicated than that? I am thinking of upgrading to a headunit like the 880prs but is a headunit like that necesary? Do i still use the passive crossover i got with the set?

nope use the xovers in the head unit.

JimJ
No, you wouldn't use the passive crossover...that's the whole point of going active, you aren't tied down to a fixed passive Xover :)

If the amp you choose has good internal crossovers, you can just use those...but doing it from the head unit is a lot easier and intuitive anyway, IMO.

iceteebone
active means you get rid of the passives. basically what you do is run your highs (tweets) off channels 1 & 2 and mid/midrange off the other 2 channels. now you need a 3-way xover which the 880 has. what you'll do is hp your tweets say 3khz. lp the mids at 3khz. and hp the mids at say 60-80 hz. this is called bandpassing, then your sub xovered at 60-80 hz. low pass

Towncar
edit

JimJ
03-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Careful Icetee...you might get in a habit of making helpful posts :D

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Careful Icetee...you might get in a habit of making helpful posts :D

yea halfway through that i started getting seizure like symptoms. i feel better now typing this useless garbage

orioles26
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
So how do i run the rcas since i have 4 channels but they are all for the front.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 12:32 AM
front to channels 1+2, rear to channels 3+4, sub to sub

req
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
but the issue here is is there a point to running active when you have a passive filter set up for those exact mids that has gone through a huge R&D process?

is it worth your time? is there upgrade possibilites in the future for maybe a dedicated midbass to be active in that setup?

those are the questions you should be asking yourself :)

because currently, that passive filter is pretty much the best that you will likely be able to get those components to sound. even on an active setup, you will likely be setting your filters to around the same frequencies.

is it worth it? in my oppinion, not at this time.
is it worth it to upgrade? imo? it always is :D
will it be a lot of fun to do? sure! but you might not get any sq gains out of it.
will you learn anything? yep! espically in the future you decide to get new mids and tweets and activly filter them yourself!

T3mpest
03-02-2007, 01:09 AM
but the issue here is is there a point to running active when you have a passive filter set up for those exact mids that has gone through a huge R&D process?

is it worth your time? is there upgrade possibilites in the future for maybe a dedicated midbass to be active in that setup?

those are the questions you should be asking yourself :)

because currently, that passive filter is pretty much the best that you will likely be able to get those components to sound. even on an active setup, you will likely be setting your filters to around the same frequencies.

is it worth it? in my oppinion, not at this time.
is it worth it to upgrade? imo? it always is :D
will it be a lot of fun to do? sure! but you might not get any sq gains out of it.
will you learn anything? yep! espically in the future you decide to get new mids and tweets and activly filter them yourself!

The intesive R&D done to select those points also werent' done in his exact car. Even on a passive set, he may get benefits if he does it properly, depending on his mounting locations and his cars trasnfer function, reflections, etc.

orioles26
03-02-2007, 01:11 AM
What is R&D?

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:15 AM
research and devlopment

req
03-02-2007, 01:22 AM
tee. i know that.

but are you seriously honest that he will be able to hear the minute upgrade in quality that all that work running wires and setting up the crossovers will get him?

99% not in my oppinion.

it might pull the soundstage up a bit. maybe clear up a bit of cancelation.

the best think IMO for a "upgrade" for this system would be better aiming of the midrange and\or tweeter, some deadening in his mid range locaion (doors im guessing), and time alignment.

going that direction would yield a much more audible gain in quality at this point.

as i said before, it might be fun, but with the current equipment, its not worth it. but again, thats just my 2 cents. i will never go passive again, BUT thats just me.

orioles26
03-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Looking at the 880prs and it says it has a rca input. Can i use a 3/8" to rca to plug my ipod into the headunit or do i have to buy the ipod adapter thing.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Looking at the 880prs and it says it has a rca input. Can i use a 3/8" to rca to plug my ipod into the headunit or do i have to buy the ipod adapter thing.

you can use aux. inputs.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:30 AM
tee. i know that.

but are you seriously honest that he will be able to hear the minute upgrade in quality that all that work running wires and setting up the crossovers will get him?

99% not in my oppinion.

it might pull the soundstage up a bit. maybe clear up a bit of cancelation.

the best think IMO for a "upgrade" for this system would be better aiming of the midrange and\or tweeter, some deadening in his mid range locaion (doors im guessing), and time alignment.

going that direction would yield a much more audible gain in quality at this point.

as i said before, it might be fun, but with the current equipment, its not worth it. but again, thats just my 2 cents. i will never go passive again, BUT thats just me.

you did but apparently are oriole didn't :fyi: ;)

req
03-02-2007, 01:31 AM
lol. well thank you for pointing that out mrT.

nice to have you around. but ive been here longer lalalala :D

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:32 AM
lol. well thank you for pointing that out mrT.

nice to have you around. but ive been here longer lalalala :D

idk how your calendar works but on my calendar 2003 comes before 2004 :laugh:

orioles26
03-02-2007, 01:37 AM
I would love to add deadener to the door or try a different location for the mid/tweet. But i think if i took my door apart again it will never go back because it is falling apart. Basically im trying to justify buying a $300 headunit like the 880prs or higher end unit. Will i really notice any different going from a panasonic Cq-c8300u to a 880prs.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:39 AM
I would love to add deadener to the door or try a different location for the mid/tweet. But i think if i took my door apart again it will never go back because it is falling apart. Basically im trying to justify buying a $300 headunit like the 880prs or higher end unit. Will i really notice any different going from a panasonic Cq-c8300u to a 880prs.

well if you want to go active i recommend the 880. it has 3-way xover, time alignment and dual 16 band graphic eq's. it has everything you need to go active

orioles26
03-02-2007, 01:47 AM
going active is one reason i want to get it plus i love the way it looks. But if im not going to notice any difference i dont really see the point in paying that much.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 02:01 AM
going active is one reason i want to get it plus i love the way it looks. But if im not going to notice any difference i dont really see the point in paying that much.

well the 880 has the xover to go active, it has TA, and its dual 16 band eq is about the biggest eq you will find in a headunit

zSnb
03-02-2007, 02:21 AM
The 880 will own that Panasonic in every aspect.

req
03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
dont taunt me icetee. that is lying.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 02:26 AM
dont taunt me icetee. that is lying.

i'm confizzled

in the mean time i'll relieve my bowels over a cold toilet seat

jmanpc
03-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Once you go active, you don't go back :fyi:

orioles26
03-02-2007, 02:29 AM
I knolw its a better headunit but will i really notice any difference in the performance of my sytem?

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 02:30 AM
I knolw its a better headunit but will i really notice any difference in the performance of my sytem?

yes

bangandow
03-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Do you think there's a good chance of you swapping out the speakers you have now as you get further into this disease... err, hobby?

orioles26
03-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Is there something wrong with the kicker rs because it seems like some of you think i should change them. I dont paln on changing speakers with the car i currently have which ill probally keep for 2 more years. But then again i never that i would have bought half the stuff i have in my car now.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:14 PM
no it's just that they are components and that passive xover was designed for them to perform optimally. going active ate best you may only see marginal improvements

bikinpunk
03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I went active on my rainbows. With all the r&d they went through and a crossover setting at (I believe 3.8khz). I set the range from 63-2.8khz on my active setup and can tell a much bigger difference than before. The speakers really have more "warmth" to them. Hard to describe, but it is definitely an audible difference.

I decided to go active for numerous reasons, future active setup ability being the largest. Now I won't have to worry about buying component sets or passive x-overs. My choices are larger now that I can pick & choose tweets, & mids to fit my needs/desires.

Another plus is that you're not limited all the time to the tuning. If you have a song that you want to change crossover frequencies on you can go ahead and do it. Control from up front > minimal control from the amp.

If you can, go active. If you need or want to upgrade your speakers you can, and you won't be limited to choice.

req
03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
just be warned. if you do it, and you dont see improvements, then i dont want to say i told you so. it will be fun tho

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 01:42 PM
i don't think the op has the ability to do a good active setup judging by his posts but that is just my opinion

orioles26
03-02-2007, 04:13 PM
What makes it a good active setup besides setting the crossovers for the mids/ highs. I already think it sounds good but since i have a 4 chnnel amp and plan on getting the 880prs i just figured id give it a try.

iceteebone
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
What makes it a good active setup besides setting the crossovers for the mids/ highs. I already think it sounds good but since i have a 4 chnnel amp and plan on getting the 880prs i just figured id give it a try.

eqing it and setting up your time alignment. also selecting good crossover points and slopes, having your speakers aimed good etc.