PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Worth it? when you have insurance

theothermike
03-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Well guys, i have a plan that covers up to 4000$ worth of aftermarket parts and assessories from, damage in accident, theft, and all the other works for only 15$ for 6 months. So im wondering if i should spend 400$ on an alarm when i have a stock alarm with door locks and siren and crap? all i would ned to do is buy a new siren cause mine got water to it and stops working, but everything else works.

Should i get a new 450$ish alarm installed or spend 20 - 30 dollars for a new siren, keep the insurance plan and use rest of cash on finishing my system by getting a sundown 100.2 and going active, and upgrading my headunit or get my car retinted?

Mike-

Ps the stock alarm is an aftermarket 350$ dollar alarm from like 5 years ago installed

ricoshay
03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
I'll be there 2nite before you get the new siren! j/k a new alarm should only be around $200 unless it has 2way remote start etc. Make sure the terms are good. Most only cover a certain amount of aftermarket stuff/personal items even if its "full coverage".

937DYTBOI
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
seriously i would invest in the alram. It will help save you time in getting ur **** fixed through insurance. Most of the time if thieves see flashing alarms they pass it up so save yourself some trouble and headache

TIeclipseMOJO
03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
id drop the 400 dollars for an alarm if its 2 way. not sure if your current one gets you a discount or not, but i got a compustar 2 way and it saved me 100 a year on my insurance. from what ive noticed sirens are useless, and i cant even hear mine from my dorm room but my remote lets me know.

THUNDERBIRD
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
i would get a new alarm personally. and make sure your alarm is listed on ur insurance plan you can get a discount on ur premium. for me to have it i have to have full coverage on my car, which i do.

theothermike
03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
so a clifford matrix 50.5x is the alarm. i want to hear so more people input, im having a forum member do it btw who has done many jobs for people.

bamaboy
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
i think its worth it

i have full coverage and what not, i would rather pay for the alarm than have some crackhead try to run off my my goliath or what ever else he can get, im pretty sure they wont get the subs and box out unless there is a team and a vehcile a few feet away

alarm isnt going to stop everyone though

22mountaineer
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I have wandered the same. Me only being 18 I am not allowed to carry, so even if I did have my thing ringing telling me someone was outside stealing my ****. What am i supposed to do? Go outside and get beat down? Or go outside and shoot at them and get arrested b.c I live in an apartment and am not aloud to carry/shoot at anyone?

lostdaytomorrow
03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I have wandered the same. Me only being 18 I am not allowed to carry, so even if I did have my thing ringing telling me someone was outside stealing my ****. What am i supposed to do? Go outside and get beat down? Or go outside and shoot at them and get arrested b.c I live in an apartment and am not aloud to carry/shoot at anyone?
Shottie?

Rem. 700 tac'ed out.

champaned_out
03-02-2007, 01:17 AM

ever heard of things like baseball bat, golf clubs, 2x4, hell even a **** knife... your old enough to carry a shank around legally

sneak up behind em and hit'em a few times on the legs so you make sure they cant run and then goto town on the rest of their body

theothermike
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
it still up for grabs, i mean, what is the alarm gonna stop people from breaking glass and ripping amps out real fast? plus im 16, and as guy above said, i dont carry gun, and more than likely either theif has a gun, knife or whatever like me.

also i park my car in the garage always soo.

Mike-

95volvosx
03-02-2007, 09:11 AM
it still up for grabs, i mean, what is the alarm gonna stop people from breaking glass and ripping amps out real fast? plus im 16, and as guy above said, i dont carry gun, and more than likely either theif has a gun, knife or whatever like me.

also i park my car in the garage always soo.

Mike-

I do the same thing. I took my old alarm out because it started to screw up and I didn't have the time to fix it. If you are almost always parked in a garage and you're hardly in a dangerous neighboorhood or area where someone might steal something then you might not need one but it is a good investment. especially a 2 way. as they were saying what're you gonna do take a bat or something? that won't work but if you were to run out there as fast as possible then they will run from you if they hear you screaming "THATS MY ****" lol if anything get 2 sirens or 3 if you wanted

KaeZoo
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM
You already have an alarm, and you want to know if it's worth it to spend $400 and replace it with another alarm?

What am I missing? Aside from the siren, does your alarm work?

theothermike
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
yea it works. it doesnt make noise, but my doors are locked and have the sensitivity thing where if you try to open the door without unlocking first it will turn dome light on and flash the console requiring you to disarm the alarm where i have a switch hidden before the car can start. the siren has been exposed to water :-(. but other than that it works great.

Mike

I live in a good part of town

KaeZoo
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Then I'd say replace the siren and call it good. The only thing an all-new alarm would get you would be the 2-way paging feature. If you want you can purchase an add-on pager that works with your current alarm.

goodstuff
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I would def get the alarm...not worth dealing with the insurance pricks unless you have to...plus having that siren might give you some advance warning for preventing a car fire when they cut your positive cable and let it short...normally a fuse would stop that from happening but wouldn't that **** if it wasn't set up right...:crap:

theothermike
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
luckly it is, and as i said, i garage park my car at night, and i do follow the suggested rules of preventing ur system bein jacked, i mute it at lights, dont play when 5 min away from parking, dont bump in neighborhoods, etc....

kowboy
03-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Hello???????.......... how much is your deductible? More than a new alarm I'd bet.

RFCV
03-02-2007, 11:11 PM
My advice would be to get the siren & add more. The more noise you can make, the better! ;)

Make sure the existing alarm has a good shock or glass sensor & not just current/pin switches.

azbass
03-02-2007, 11:14 PM
you have insurance yes. but please dont rely just on that.

mx519
03-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Yea, I would recommend you updating and getting a 2-way alarm. You may have that insurance, but I had the same coverage. Had to wait over 2 weeks just to get a new window, and cash for my stolen items.

theothermike
03-02-2007, 11:28 PM
im gonna call on monday to find out the deductible, but more and more people saying to upgrade, so i probably am now.

Mike-

sundownz
03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I've got system insurance as well... but I am going with an alarm. I believe an alarm will also lower your rates -- at least with some policies.

KaeZoo
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
im gonna call on monday to find out the deductible, but more and more people saying to upgrade, so i probably am now.

Mike-

I suspect most people didn't read all of the original post, and think the choice is between an after-market alarm and a factory "alarm", not a new 2-way alarm vs an older after-market alarm. Personally I don't think the 2-way option is worth the $400 to upgrade. If you can find a DEI 795W you can add a pager to your existing alarm.

theothermike
03-06-2007, 10:50 AM
i already bought the new alarm last night, a new clifford 50.5x will be installed friday

WOOT

Dmillz224
03-06-2007, 11:07 AM
good choice I had the so called aftermarket insurance and when my **** got stolen they barely coverd half of what my 2 IDQ 15's and 2 rockford power series amps cost me they called it depreciation hell they only gave me 1000 for my 20's with brand new tires and this was like 4 years ago so def, a good desicion to go with the alarm

theothermike
03-06-2007, 08:10 PM
yeah i figured.

PS ( holy **** on pic in ur avy, im gonna have to change my mind about fsu :-) and hit up uf)

theothermike
03-13-2007, 04:04 PM
letting everyone know, this was a great gig for me to do, happy i got it installed

Kpr10is is a great installer btw and had great price

Mike-