PDA

View Full Version : $500 Budget. Active 3 way frontstage

lrgnation
03-01-2007, 01:50 AM
I want to run a active 3 way front stage off an external processor/crossover/eq. Was thinking something like the audiocontrol DQXS with a 2xs and running fully active or running active midbass with passive midrange/tweets.

My current thoughts were
CDT m6 off jl 300/2
CDT hd-4/drt26s off 300/4

I am also interested in Focal and Rainbow. But I am still unsure,

which 3way speaker setup,

which xover/eq/processor setup?

fully active or not?

Any help is great

Thanks,
Kevin

Also Going to be going for a Sound Quality install and keeping my stock Headunit for now so i want all eq adjustments and xover setups external from my H/u. Also going to be running a 500/1 and 12" W6 or SSD for sub stage.

96MaxGLE
03-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Is the $500 just for the drivers? IMO, it would be impossible to do it having to buy amps, eq, and xovers. If your not willing to swap your H/U your gonna spend a good chunk of your budget in processing.

A good place for a lot of reviews and advice on various active combos, go over to www.diymobileaudio.com . Not saying ca.com isn't helpful, b/c it is.

A good budget x-over is the Coustic XM6 or XM7. The audiocontrol x-overs require chips, with the exception of the digital units, to change the settings, which you have to purchase from audiocontrol. I would take a look at some Dayton or TB drivers (since your on a budget) @ partsexpress. Rainbows are EXTREMELY nice speakers (PM 6spdcoupe w/ any questions about those)

Bottom line...if you've never run active, and you only have $500...you have 2 options

1) Save more money, and get something you'll be happy with for a while

or

2) Try 2-way active first...you'll learn a lot about tuning and imaging, and with the knowledge you gather start planning a 3-way

lrgnation
03-01-2007, 02:36 AM
Is the $500 just for the drivers? IMO, it would be impossible to do it having to buy amps, eq, and xovers. If your not willing to swap your H/U your gonna spend a good chunk of your budget in processing.

A good place for a lot of reviews and advice on various active combos, go over to www.diymobileaudio.com . Not saying ca.com isn't helpful, b/c it is.

A good budget x-over is the Coustic XM6 or XM7. The audiocontrol x-overs require chips, with the exception of the digital units, to change the settings, which you have to purchase from audiocontrol. I would take a look at some Dayton or TB drivers (since your on a budget) @ partsexpress. Rainbows are EXTREMELY nice speakers (PM 6spdcoupe w/ any questions about those)

Bottom line...if you've never run active, and you only have $500...you have 2 options

1) Save more money, and get something you'll be happy with for a while

or

2) Try 2-way active first...you'll learn a lot about tuning and imaging, and with the knowledge you gather start planning a 3-way

I think I phrased it wrong. I have $500 to spend on drivers.

Processing and what not is about $4-700.

96MaxGLE
03-01-2007, 02:48 AM
$500 is defiantly doable then. And you made me type all that $hit 4 nothing :furious:

Flipx99
03-01-2007, 08:51 AM
I would start out two way active and build on that for three way active. That is my what I am doing.

theothermike
03-01-2007, 01:24 PM
^

true, pm 6spdcoupe (don) or djdillidon (don)

6spd for rainbows, ask him for like a cal 25 silk tweeter, and some germanium mids or something, dj for cdt, ask for maybe some es06 or 07 stuff.

lrgnation
03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks Guys..
I think I might have just decided on the CDT's and satnet642 crossover. I'll run the m6 active and run the others active later. For right now This system should be loud and clear hopefully. Thinking about just getting the Audio Control DQXS

Flipx99
03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
don has one of the cal25s pretty cheap IIRC that and the morel

theothermike
03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
no dissing any cdt owners / dealers, but imo, now hearing the cdts, i bet the rainbows arnt as laid back and i would prob buy them if i could control time. It may be due to my lack of midbass, as i have heard many cases happening with the hd-6, but ur getting the m6, so let me know.

Mike

lrgnation
03-01-2007, 09:15 PM
no dissing any cdt owners / dealers, but imo, now hearing the cdts, i bet the rainbows arnt as laid back and i would prob buy them if i could control time. It may be due to my lack of midbass, as i have heard many cases happening with the hd-6, but ur getting the m6, so let me know.

Mike

And I have a space for an 8" midbass too... so sizing down to the 6.5" seems liek an interesting decision. I may search for some 8's.

T3mpest
03-02-2007, 12:24 AM
If your going fully active then why bother with CDT? All it is is rebadged vifa drivers for the most part.

req
03-02-2007, 12:35 AM
processor = alpine PXA-H701 and RUX-C701

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXA-H701
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=RUX-C701

drivers? well. hell.

image dynamics CD1-e horn loaded compression drivers - ebay maybe? id forum? id store?

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-controlled-dispersion-speaker-system-p-120.html

midrange? maybe some CX62's or another quality 6.5" midbass that would play up to ~1.5 khz... not sure on that tho.

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cx62-high-definition-midrange-drivers-p-56.html

lrgnation
03-02-2007, 12:40 AM
processor = alpine PXA-H701 and RUX-C701

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXA-H701
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=RUX-C701

drivers? well. hell.

image dynamics CD1-e horn loaded compression drivers - ebay maybe? id forum? id store?

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-controlled-dispersion-speaker-system-p-120.html

midrange? maybe some CX62's or another quality 6.5" midbass that would play up to ~1.5 khz... not sure on that tho.

http://www.imagedynamicsstore.com/idstore/image-dynamics-cx62-high-definition-midrange-drivers-p-56.html

I think I might just run the rux off my cda-7995 and take teh shaker crap out.

expo5.0
03-02-2007, 12:41 AM
i would run the id horns (i have a few sets- and like them even the cd1-e are great) down low with some 8" woofers and maybe just an "imaging" type tweeter up top (passive x-over for that)

that is unless you just don't have the space etc. (such as my mercedes) where i went with 3-way due to not wanting to fit anything larger in my kicks than the vifa dome mids (which do sound amazing btw, and really make it easy to fit kicks due to their shallowness)

expo5.0
03-02-2007, 12:43 AM
i would run the id horns (i have a few sets- and like them even the cd1-e are great) down low with some 8" woofers and maybe just an "imaging" type tweeter up top (passive x-over for that)

that is unless you just don't have the space etc. (such as my mercedes) where i went with 3-way due to not wanting to fit anything larger in my kicks than the vifa dome mids (which do sound amazing btw, and really make it easy to fit kicks due to their shallowness)

as far as processing-

audiocontrol all the way

expo5.0
03-02-2007, 12:43 AM

as far as processing-

audiocontrol all the way

expo5.0
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
as far as processing-

digital audiocontrol if possible, or potentially stack a audiocontrol 6xs with a 2xs or maybe (cheap interesting optioni do sometimes- clarion dvh940 stacked with audiocontrol, i personally enjoy plII)

lrgnation
03-02-2007, 01:52 AM
Okay alpine h701 and rux controller that I might mount in the glovebox. Imma take the rca's off the audio control lc6.

imma run the m6's active
and run the drt26 and hd-4 passive.

theothermike
03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
sounds good, but if u spending all this money on processing, do it right and go all active. save if you have too

Mike

lrgnation
03-02-2007, 10:06 AM
sounds good, but if u spending all this money on processing, do it right and go all active. save if you have too

Mike

what would I need to go all active. i'd just split the front bandpass on the h701 with like an audio control 2xs?

theothermike
03-02-2007, 06:00 PM
to go all active, u need a channel per speaker so if u have a 4 channel amp, u need another 2 channel amp. For example if u have a 300/4 jl amp, you would need another 2 channel like a jl 300/2.

Then you need a crossover that has the ability to run high pass for tweets, low pass for midbasses, and a bandpass for the mids, if you dont have this on your amps, then i been recommended to get the coustic xm6 search on ebay, like 40$ and has all the features you need for running all 3 driver to correct amps.

So if you have a processor like the h701 by alpine you dont need to worry about processing and crossovers, just worry about a 2nd amp thats a 2 channel

Mike-

lrgnation
03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
to go all active, u need a channel per speaker so if u have a 4 channel amp, u need another 2 channel amp. For example if u have a 300/4 jl amp, you would need another 2 channel like a jl 300/2.

Then you need a crossover that has the ability to run high pass for tweets, low pass for midbasses, and a bandpass for the mids, if you dont have this on your amps, then i been recommended to get the coustic xm6 search on ebay, like 40$ and has all the features you need for running all 3 driver to correct amps.

So if you have a processor like the h701 by alpine you dont need to worry about processing and crossovers, just worry about a 2nd amp thats a 2 channel

Mike-

I plan on getting the h701. So that will run 3 way active front stage and my sub stage without any other xovers?

Because I thought it just has front 1, front 2, rear and sub. how would i hook it up.

would i run the m6's off the rear and then set the front 1 to tweets and front 2 to hd-4's?

alphakenny1
03-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I plan on getting the h701. So that will run 3 way active front stage and my sub stage without any other xovers?

Because I thought it just has front 1, front 2, rear and sub. how would i hook it up.

would i run the m6's off the rear and then set the front 1 to tweets and front 2 to hd-4's?

yes you dont need any other crossovers w/ the h701. and yes you can just hook it up the way you explained it.

lrgnation
03-02-2007, 10:37 PM
yes you dont need any other crossovers w/ the h701. and yes you can just hook it up the way you explained it.

sickkkkkk

how do you like those seas.

hardhitta47
03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
definitely head on over to www.diymobileaudio.com (http://www.diymobileaudio.com)

I'm NOT a big fan of cdt, but I've only heard their lower-end drivers. Talk about lack of midbass...I think your money could be better spent.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a diy setup. Think Seas, Peerless, Morel, etc.

For an out-of-box set, this is a good forum, but those guys on diyma.com really know their **** when it comes to diy active front stage, hence the name.

96MaxGLE
03-03-2007, 02:41 AM
may wanna check out www.madisound.com , and like I said earlier go to diymobileaudio. I would recommend the h701 over any audiocontrol units.

///M5
03-06-2007, 09:13 AM
The H701 rocks, I'd love to have one. If you go that route, you are going to have a ton of driver choices, but as with any 3 way it will be very install dependent. I'd figure out how I could best maximize my install and then start looking for drivers.