PDA

View Full Version : For you Audiophiles. Mid range deck.

digitard
02-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the 1,000,000 post about "what to buy". I did some reading, but peoples tastes are so different that I figured I'd ask (aka I searched but found LOTS of results that each covered bits of questions, but trying to mosh them into a single solution isn't going to happen).

Car is a 99' Mercury Cougar V6.

What I'm looking for:
- MP3 support
- IPOD/ZUNE support
- Red backlight (not required, but it'd be nice)
- 250 or under range, out the door

Also, if you happen to have any sites/info on mounting kits so I can make it as flush as possible that'd also be appreciated. The last one I put in my old truck had a horrible kit which pushed the player out about an inch and looked weird. I want it to be as flat as possible.

Thanks again for your time guys!

D.

explorer2
02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
kenwood kdc-x889/890

Hayabusa
02-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Red backlight= Sony CDX-M7810X... has Aux input and 7 band EQ+4V Preouts and can be found for like $150 shipped maybe cheaper...

zSnb
03-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Red backlight= Sony CDX-M7810X... has Aux input and 7 band EQ+4V Preouts and can be found for like $150 shipped maybe cheaper...

Im gonna recommend the same but only if you absolutely must have a red backlight. Its a pretty decent head unit especially for the price. Now in terms of the Kenwood Excelon's they are a little more expensive but they have some nicer features like time alignment and better crossover options. However, thought that the Kenwood's had blue light????

JimJ
03-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Used Alpine 9835...could be found for $250 with a little bit of looking and haggling :)

digitard
03-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys (looking into what you've recommended so far).

Oh, I completely forgot to mention... the vehicle will end up with new speakers, but they'll just be replacements for the aged stock ones. I have NO plans to put in a full system (sub, etc). Just replacing the door/rear speakers with new ones since they've been beat a bit over time.

So some of those backend features that would be more for full systems I may not need.

I believe on my car its 5x7's in the doors, and not sure whats in the back but I can check.

Also, I dont need the red backlight. I just have a red vehicle and the interior is black/grey so having a red backlight would just fit the whole style of things... but honestly its not even a major issue.

D.

zSnb
03-01-2007, 02:00 AM
The Alpine 9835 is nice but in my opinion they just arent worth $250 because they are 3 years old and used. You can get a brand new unit that has even nicer sound options for the same price. I always recommend the 880prs because its the best quality with the most features for the least amount of cash. Its a little on the high end side, and it doesnt sound like you are going to run active so it may be your best bet to look into the 780mp. Its got alot of really nice options that will make even your stock system sound okay. Not to mention, its got a color screen that is really really nice. I run a 780 and I couldnt be more happy with it.

hardhitta47
03-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Well the new Eclipse cd7100 can be changed to 6 different colors including red. Definitely not a "midrange" deck and a little above your price range though. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

explorer2
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Im gonna recommend the same but only if you absolutely must have a red backlight. Its a pretty decent head unit especially for the price. Now in terms of the Kenwood Excelon's they are a little more expensive but they have some nicer features like time alignment and better crossover options. However, thought that the Kenwood's had blue light????

The buttons can be green or red, the volume dial is lit up blue.

crow
03-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Sounddomain has the Eclipse 5000's on sale for $265. Has an onboard EQ and time alignment as well as other nice features. I'm pretty sure you can set the illumination colors as well. Includes a free dash kit, harness adapter and shipping. Another nice thing is they are authorized dealers so the Eclipse warranty will be valid.

Not sure on the player support. You could go with an adapter or just look for a deck with a line-in.

digitard
03-02-2007, 03:30 AM
All I really care about is a Line In. I mean if it has more support then thats just awesome.

I just want that option when I get that random "hey I wanna hear" itch and its not on a CD in my car to be able to plug in my Zune (which is almost always with me) and listen to it.

Thanks for the info so far. Looking into everything I've heard so far. Keep em coming.