PDA

View Full Version : Disaster

konechiwa
02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
:crying:

So everything is hooked up, amps are ready, all i need to do is screw them in and carpet it and im done with everything (look in my sig for amps, speakers, subs)

But then my speaker amp dies. Fuses blown. I go get some 20amp fuses, and disconnect the speaker wires, leavin the power, ground, and remote still in. Works fine. Plug in my left speaker +/- to the amp, turn it on. Gain at regular levels, crossover at right place, volume at EXTREMELY LOW, and it seems to work. Yet theirs a light in my crossover, and the tweeter doesn't work...

...then, my crossover EXPLODES. I have no idea why it did, because i tested the speakers before (3 days, and 2 days ago) using the same, same wires, same EVERYTHING and they work fine (see my review, it happened all right). But the crossover exploded, and it is toast. Yes, exploded, smoke, fumes, burning plastic, it was all their. Looked at the wires, seemed fine. Everything i crimped was covered in electrical tape. Power wire wasn't warm, amp wasn't warm, speaker wires weren't warm, ground wasn't warm, fuses weren't even blown (after it exploded)...

...i...i don't know what happened. The sub worked fine, and it ran off the same power (distro block 4AWG from bat to distro, 2 8AWG to 2 amps)..same exact ground i had used before (10AWG for the speaker amp, only 200 watts, it only fit up to 10 anyway)...

double checked all the wires, the only thing i did was run them through a hole in the box....i didn't do anything else...

...after this...i'm done with car audio....everything always goes wrong for me....:crying:

btw, premieraudio you have a PM....and profile...you lost a customer forever.

djdilliodon
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Do you have a pic of the xover? My guess is rainbow uses a protection in the xover which is the light that you saw glowing. Chances are it could be a faulty xover, Speaker wires are grounding out, amp is defective, or your amp was sending way to much power to the xover. Is everything else in the system working fine, or was it just the speakers ?

konechiwa
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah i can get one pic, looks like the capacitor exploded. i don't think profile is overrated....everything else works fine, only the speakers and frontstage amp were acting up. Sub and sub amp was absolutely fine.

I'm almost positive it wasn't the wire, because i covered that sucker is so much electrical tape (where i made the splice) that nothing should have even dented it.. 16AWG speaker wire all around from Lightning and Knukonceptz, everything looked fine....

that capacitor just got nuked...one of them isn't even their any more, it melted

Here are some pictures:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Konechiwa/DSCN1650.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Konechiwa/DSCN1648.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f120/Konechiwa/DSCN1647.jpg

djdilliodon
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
if all the wire is fine it is either the amp or the xover that was faulty :( I would just get the speakers replaced under warranty and reinstall them providing its not the amp. That poor little 100v cap got owned lol.

chibahawk
02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
My condolences.

I've got the same set of components as you with no official amp on them. I was about to get Profile, kind of glad I didn't now.

Don't give up though - you know those Kicks sounded too good to just forget about yo

konechiwa
03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
true they really kicked ***. Hopefully the woofer didn't explode!

Rich B
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Im kinda surprised that it looks like Rainbow uses electrolytic caps instead of poly considering their reputation for quality sound.

enzowho
03-01-2007, 03:32 AM
Im kinda surprised that it looks like Rainbow uses electrolytic caps instead of poly considering their reputation for quality sound.
I was really surprised to see that too. Sorry to hear about your luck. Hopefully Rainbow will cover you.