PDA

View Full Version : Curious...do you run optical even though you have HDMI?

bikinpunk
02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't have a HT, or plan to get one just yet. But, I was just reading about HDMI carrying audio & video signal and wondered if people used both optical & HDMI connection, or just HDMI?

1loudsuv
02-28-2007, 08:03 PM
hell no

hdmi>all

Death By Bass
02-28-2007, 08:04 PM
ah, what would the optical cable carry then? :p lol

docutech
02-28-2007, 08:28 PM
The Xbox 360 doesnt have HDMI. I have seen component cables do a good enough job carrying the video signal. I have an optical connection taking care of the audio when I play the 360. It is a must to enjoy true Digital Surround Sound.

1loudsuv
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
well if you want to enjoy dolby digital plus and truhd you need either analog in or hdmi, optical wont do it...

im hdmi as i said above and it sounds better then when i had it through analog

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/get-attachment-4.jpg

joetama
02-28-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm with Jmac on that...

Higher end audio world is always slow to pick up new technologies... Seems like Rotel is taking their sweet *** time about it too....

But I don't use Optical ;).....

docutech
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
well if you want to enjoy dolby digital plus and truhd you need either analog in or hdmi, optical wont do it...

What about in the case of the Xbox 360? It has component and optical outs. I set up my receiver tonight and was playing Burnout Revenge and let me tell ya... THe receiver was set for AUX video and Dolby Digital.

So you are saying that the 2807 upsamples the audio from analog to digital?

Pistonsfan70
03-03-2007, 04:34 AM
I have an hdmi to my ps3 to receiver input...hdmi to my receiever ouput to my tv...and optical from my cable box to receiver.. I had to get an optical for my tv:(..

1loudsuv
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
What about in the case of the Xbox 360? It has component and optical outs. I set up my receiver tonight and was playing Burnout Revenge and let me tell ya... THe receiver was set for AUX video and Dolby Digital.

So you are saying that the 2807 upsamples the audio from analog to digital?

when i said analog i meant the 5 or 7 inputs say for center surround L-r and sw

it doesnt upsample

i told you behind to get either blu ray or hd-dvd cause without those you wont be able to enjoy how good your system can sound

i dunno much about dvd audio or sacd but i would think those are almost as good as blu ray or hd-dvd in sq?

Beat_Dominator
03-03-2007, 01:30 PM
If you want the best possible quality, you'd want a source with 5.1 analog outputs..... and a reciever that accepts 5.1 analog in.

HDMI is currently a jitter-inducing monster according to tests I've seen.

joetama
03-03-2007, 03:27 PM
when i said analog i meant the 5 or 7 inputs say for center surround L-r and sw

it doesnt upsample

i told you behind to get either blu ray or hd-dvd cause without those you wont be able to enjoy how good your system can sound

i dunno much about dvd audio or sacd but i would think those are almost as good as blu ray or hd-dvd in sq?

SACD/DVD-A is pretty hard to beat an I really doubt that BR or HDDVD will sound much better....

You can only uncompress the digital audio so much...

If you want the best possible quality, you'd want a source with 5.1 analog outputs..... and a reciever that accepts 5.1 analog in.

Jitters ****.....

1loudsuv
03-03-2007, 08:43 PM

what do you mean by jitters?

i get them on my hd-dvd player but i can be connected through analog component anything and i still get them lol but most of the time its jitter free and it never jitters while playing cd through hdmi

1loudsuv
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
i was wrong its not 6 MB for truehd its 18!

http://www.dolby.com/promo/HD/trueHD.html

Beat_Dominator
03-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Read this...... :)

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3103