PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my front speakers?

iwanturmags
02-27-2007, 10:38 AM
I have boston accoustic 5.25's in the front and 6x9s in the back. Both are amped up ( amp is 75x4) yet the front speakers sound absolutely horrible. The back speakers I only paid $110.00 for, are simply the best investment i've ever made as they sound perfect. I do have alternator whine, is there any chance that's the problem(the rears don't cut in until the volume hits 15)? The bass (even the slightest amount) causes them to crackle and distort (not pop). However, if I turn the bass completely off I can crank them as loud as I want and they sound clean. With the HU on Vol. 23, the rearspeakers completely overpower the fronts (I mean totally) however I can't turn the gains up in the front speakers because it just causes them to crackle more? Could I have blown them already, it started doing this like the third day after I bought them. No cracks on the cone, tried gently pressing the cone in on a low vol to see if that helped, nothing. Appreciate any help..thanks.

DaveDSMer
02-27-2007, 02:06 PM
have you tried high passing them?

bass blockers?

Gary S
02-27-2007, 02:58 PM
The 6X9's sound better because you are running full-range... the 6X9's are more efficient and handle bass better... that's why they sound better.

You need a subwoofer... take the amp off the 6X9's to power it.

Might need a x-over if the amps don't have them.

But if your amps have built-in crossovers, hi-pass the front around 80 - 100 HZ so they don't distort trying to play bass, and low-pass the rear amp on the sub(s)

You can get subs and a box for the rear or trunk for as little as $100... it will make a world of difference.