PDA

View Full Version : STILL having problems with BA Pro 60's

IgnoreMe
02-24-2007, 06:04 PM
i dont see how everyone is still sayin the boston pro60's are loud. i just got me a new speaker since one was defective when i got it... running ma hk898 (brand new just bought). set gains yesterday using 0,3, and 6 db test tones using an oscillioscope...supposedly getting around 400 watts (amp is 500@2 300@4 so since im at 3 ohms well say 400 watss) ummmm they are NOT LOUD at all and are being over powered by the 400 watts due to a slight burning smell coming from them...

and using the 0db 1k tone THEY WERE OVERPOWERED BY MY STOCK REAR SPEAKERS! I PUT THAT ON MY LIFE!

so how come everyone says that these are soooo loud? no cancellation, everything in phase (hell i tried 1 speaker at a time too) and yet these are still blown away by my old cdt ef 61cfi's...

sorry im a little pissed off after waiting all this time to get my new amp and system back up and running and HOPING THAT THEY WOULD GET LOUD WHEN I WAS DONE...and having them sound exactly the same as they did last time just makes me want to kick the pro's in the nuts.

Dozy_production
02-24-2007, 06:55 PM
You bought from an authorized dealer online or like from tweeter?

95volvosx
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
my friend's got some in his car. I heard just one component set and that **** is ridiculous. maybe something's wrong with the install :-\

IgnoreMe
02-24-2007, 07:20 PM
You bought from an authorized dealer online or like from tweeter?

i bought them online. sent back the bad speaker to them. they had problems with their supplier they talked to BA...so BA shipped me an new component half set (mid tweet xover) direct.

95 volvosx: you know i wish someone around me had these speakers for christ sakes. as it stands i believe these speakers **** until someone proves me wrong ( and GOD do i HOPE someone will prove me wrong since i feel like i wasted a **** ton of money on em). but you see everyone i know, runs POS 90 dollar coaxials and when they see how much the BA cost retail they **** bricks...whats does that mean? that means i have nothing to compare too. i wish it is my install but as of now ive checked everything bro. peace

Dozy_production
02-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Check your electrical. Perhaps your amp is drawing too much current?

95volvosx
02-24-2007, 07:22 PM
idk what to tell you then. if I had the money to get BA at the time I bought components I would've but they're reall expensive

bamaboy
02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
mine were LOUD

if stockers are louder something is deff wrong

IgnoreMe
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
mine were LOUD

if stockers are louder something is deff wrong
i know, your probably the main reason i keep *****ing about these speakers. hey bama what speakers can you compare these bostons too? like, what are they louder than from what you have heard?

dozey: check to see if my amp is drawing too much current? i turn my subs off when i do all my speaker testing so their is basically no real draw on the electrical system, and i know this ma amp is not really pushing 400 watts...

bamaboy
02-24-2007, 11:41 PM
they were a **** ton louder than my rainbow slc265

never heard that many nice component systems, goldtaz on here has infinity comps front and back, his were pretty loud, but i had my SLCs then and i only ran front comps, no rears

bamaboy
02-25-2007, 12:19 AM
i might get another set or a used set of Z6s from a guy

hard decison, 100$ difference

IgnoreMe
02-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Mine at first were really quiet and I realized I had really low voltage. Changed my battery and now they are ****ing loud

had my batt. tested with a microvat...tested perfect :(

squeak9798
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Give us a run down of how and where they are installed.

IgnoreMe
03-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Give us a run down of how and where they are installed.

hey, they are installed in my door in the stock location, coaxialy with the tweeter over the woofer. i used the 5x7 to 6.5" adapters and the plastic spacer to get them to fit (i normally use mdf but since these came with the set i used them). anyways i also deadened the door as well (i wish i hadnt cause now i cant get it off to fix a door latch :( ) and thats the gist of it. stock location basically and a stock install. as for stock sounding louder than the pro's...i never said that. i said they were ALMOST louder using a 0db tone. when they were turned up the sound stage moved way to the back to the stockers and you could notice them. using the -6db tone it was much better. also after listening to them for the past week or so they seem a little louder but still they are no where near where i thought they would be. one thing that i absolutly DO LOVE about this set though is the imaging. stock location and coaxially mounted in my explorer, they DO NOT sound like sound is coming from the doors. they position it very very nicely on my dash. its really quite amazing (for a stock mount) as compared to my cdt's which did kinda hint at the location where they were installed. anyways yea, so thats the basic install.

iamamp3pimp
03-03-2007, 08:16 PM
intersting.

maybe there is aproblem with your fader in the HU.

where is that set?

iceteebone
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
did you check your xovers to make sure they aren't turned down -3db's? i had the older pro's and they really came alive with 300 watts. around 200 watts they were decent, but when i fed them 300 watts they were great. best comp set i had.

WhoSayWho?
03-03-2007, 10:47 PM
did you check your xovers to make sure they aren't turned down -3db's? i had the older pro's and they really came alive with 300 watts. around 200 watts they were decent, but when i fed them 300 watts they were great. best comp set i had.

Apparently you did not find too harsh then. Not being a ********, that is just the criticism that always comes up and I am curious about that.

iceteebone
03-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Apparently you did not find too harsh then. Not being a ********, that is just the criticism that always comes up and I am curious about that.

i set my tweeter at -3db and i found the tweeter to be quite nice and soft.

WhoSayWho?
03-03-2007, 10:53 PM
i set my tweeter at -3db and i found the tweeter to be quite nice and soft.

Hmm, wish I could hear them set up right.

iceteebone
03-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Hmm, wish I could hear them set up right.

i found out the hard way though not to play a 50 hz. sine wave with them at 300 watts

WhoSayWho?
03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
i found out the hard way though not to play a 50 hz. sine wave with them at 300 watts

ughh, well at least now you know. less expensive than that little lesson bout the condoms

IgnoreMe
03-03-2007, 11:25 PM
intersting.

maybe there is aproblem with your fader in the HU.

where is that set?

could be. i know the sub pre out is screwed up kinda on my alpine hu. but the fade and balance is set dead center

IgnoreMe
03-03-2007, 11:27 PM

yup. thats one of the FIRST things i checked. i run them on the highest level (0db) i love sharp tweeters. not harsh, just sharp. so yea. i also made sure they were both set to "axial" and not comp on the mid xover.

HCCA
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Yet another possibility is break-in time. I have a set of ADS 325im's that sounded like **** for about a week. I knew from hearing them in a sound board at the store, that they sounded good. I had them sitting around for a long time (I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but....) they just did not sound good. However, with each passing week they sounded better, AND LOUDER. Now, after about two months there was no further improvement in the sound. Maybe you just need to give them a few weeks to break in. This is not a scientific answer, just what I experienced with a set that I have installed now.

IgnoreMe
03-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Yet another possibility is break-in time. I have a set of ADS 325im's that sounded like **** for about a week. I knew from hearing them in a sound board at the store, that they sounded good. I had them sitting around for a long time (I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but....) they just did not sound good. However, with each passing week they sounded better, AND LOUDER. Now, after about two months there was no further improvement in the sound. Maybe you just need to give them a few weeks to break in. This is not a scientific answer, just what I experienced with a set that I have installed now.

well i thought that at first too but then i remembered that my right speaker (which i had for a while before the new one i got) was in there for quite some time. so unfortunatly i think that rules out that possibility :(

anyways i think its starting to come down to the fact that i dont think this amp puts out its rated power. using a 0db test tone (as well as -3 and -6) and an snap-on oscillioscope the signal starts to clip at roughly 23.73 volts. using some quick math using the gain setting tutorial i went backwards. instead of using it to find the voltage i needed, i used it to find the wattage i was getting (mathematically anyways). soooo....

23.73v x 23.73v = 563.11

563.11 / 3 ohms that these speakers are, and that leaves you with...

187.70 watts...

i know this is just pure math and not an actual bench of what the amp is truly putting out. BUT supposedly this amp puts out around 400 watts at 3 ohms. sooo again using the gain tutorial

400w x 3 ohms = 1200

Sqrt of 1200 = 34.64v

a FAR cry from the 23.73 volts this amp is really putting out before it clips...

could this be it????

Wide Back
03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Something else you could try is using a different RCA cable and trying the rear pre out on your h/u to see if the front one is possibly weak.

I am very interested because these components are on my list to get in the very near future.

Torgus
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
i just blew my Efs and i have these lieing around. your making me worried about installling them...

TreyE
03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
i have the boston pro60s volvo is talkin about and i have a Kicker ZX550.2 runnin at em and they get pretty loud...the crossovers light up like a ***** tho if i turn em up to how loud i want them to be (no i dont leave em on where they are lighting up) and i have mine in component form on 0db..and also one of my mids is blown and possibly one of my crossovers cause my right tweet doesnt sound as loud as my left

the727kid
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think light on the xovers has too much to do with power, more to do with clipping. I had my Germs on a cheap *** amp and they lit up liek crazy under 100 watts. Now I have them properly set on ~280 watts and lights will only come on a few high notes at full volumes.

TreyE
03-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I don't think light on the xovers has too much to do with power, more to do with clipping. I had my Germs on a cheap *** amp and they lit up liek crazy under 100 watts. Now I have them properly set on ~280 watts and lights will only come on a few high notes at full volumes.

yea i know im jus saying they still arent as loud as i want them to be but still lloud

chucku
03-07-2007, 12:24 AM
More power will stop the crossover lights from blinding you. My mbq reference seem to need more than a jl 300/4 bridged to them. **** expensive to power comps correctly. Underpowering them has to be the biggest problem with speaker installs. Ive found out the hard way by being cheap with the power.

ChedNompton
03-07-2007, 01:16 AM
What gauge wire are you running to them and whats the length? And I agree to try switching the front fader to back to see if its your HU. And I heard somewhere that an oscilliscope is how you find the correct wattage on an amp.

Dozy_production
03-07-2007, 01:55 AM
More power will stop the crossover lights from blinding you. My mbq reference seem to need more than a jl 300/4 bridged to them. **** expensive to power comps correctly. Underpowering them has to be the biggest problem with speaker installs. Ive found out the hard way by being cheap with the power.

But are you suggesting that these things are being damaged because of under powering? IM not familiar with lights in the Xover but perhaps the light turns on when it gets a clipped signal?

TreyE
03-07-2007, 08:23 AM
But are you suggesting that these things are being damaged because of under powering? IM not familiar with lights in the Xover but perhaps the light turns on when it gets a clipped signal?

might be it but my gain is at about 1/4 or 1/5 the way up so idk about clipping...i also cant see my audio settings on my head unit to see what is turned up tho so that might be the problem:furious:

T3mpest
03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
lights on the crossover is an attempt to protect the speaker when it recieves too much power. The light bulb uses up some wattage and alerts the user.

TreyE
03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
lights on the crossover is an attempt to protect the speaker when it recieves too much power. The light bulb uses up some wattage and alerts the user.

yea i know thats what i thought...until they were talkin bout clipped signals n ****

IgnoreMe
03-10-2007, 07:27 AM
i used an oscillioscope...i already said that. hell iused a $7000 snap-on modis...

IgnoreMe
03-10-2007, 01:36 PM

i believe the light bulb is there to protect the tweeter...not the speaker as a whole. many companies incorporatre this feature.

squeak9798
03-11-2007, 02:12 PM
well i thought that at first too but then i remembered that my right speaker (which i had for a while before the new one i got) was in there for quite some time. so unfortunatly i think that rules out that possibility :(

anyways i think its starting to come down to the fact that i dont think this amp puts out its rated power. using a 0db test tone (as well as -3 and -6) and an snap-on oscillioscope the signal starts to clip at roughly 23.73 volts. using some quick math using the gain setting tutorial i went backwards. instead of using it to find the voltage i needed, i used it to find the wattage i was getting (mathematically anyways). soooo....

23.73v x 23.73v = 563.11

563.11 / 3 ohms that these speakers are, and that leaves you with...

187.70 watts...

i know this is just pure math and not an actual bench of what the amp is truly putting out. BUT supposedly this amp puts out around 400 watts at 3 ohms. sooo again using the gain tutorial

400w x 3 ohms = 1200

Sqrt of 1200 = 34.64v

a FAR cry from the 23.73 volts this amp is really putting out before it clips...

could this be it????

From just a brief skim, the math works out correctly.

That said; it would be better if you could find a shop that is capable of doing a true bench test of the amplifier.

Though 150w should be enough to still get them to a good volume level.

pimpedout97x
03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
i also cant see my audio settings on my head unit to see what is turned up tho so that might be the problem:furious:

:hilariou:

IgnoreMe
03-11-2007, 04:46 PM
From just a brief skim, the math works out correctly.

That said; it would be better if you could find a shop that is capable of doing a true bench test of the amplifier.

Though 150w should be enough to still get them to a good volume level.

well using the -6d tone they are quite a bit louder than my stockers (that was only the case when i had used the 0db tone that they were almost overpwered by the stockers). and its not that they arent loud...they are, kinda...its just that they are no where near where i thought they would be after reading about them so much and then comparing them to my old cdts. i hate the word loud cause it covers such a huge range. loud to one person is not necessarily loud to another. i may have had too high of expectations. ill probably look into seeing if i can find a place to bench it.

pikers
03-12-2007, 01:32 AM
No Boston eva has been "loud" using low power. I sold them for years, and had them in my old car for five years. They need power.:yumyum:

Also remember that "loud" usually is an interpretation of distortion just prior to it becoming a problem. Loudness is an and result of the way a system is set up, not a feature.

dgoodhue
03-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I haven't use the Pro60's, I heard the older Pro .5 series was better than the newer series. I have Z series now. My BA Z's series get pretty loud. I actually run them with only ~100watts,they get more than loud enough. I used them for a while running them with ~300 watts, and they were really f'n loud, actually too loud, I felt like I was go ging to go deaf. Hell I was screw around will the mid bass using ears plugs and they were still loud. My subs weren't keeping up either. Maybe I just getting old :) I guess that is why I am more into SQ...