PDA

View Full Version : SLC 265 Kick: A Review

konechiwa
02-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Well, Seeing as how they haven't really been broken in yet...I can't exactly comment on them fully. But, seeing as how they are installed 100%, i decided to make a little review, seeing as many people as of late have been asking about them. Pics will come later, as it is 11:30PM and I don't feel like going outside with my camera!

First off...The Highs. Oh yes, their awesome. Right off the bat i was simply stunned by it's clarity and clearness, yet softness as well. My old Polk Momo tweets were extremely harsh compared to them. They sound absolutely beautiful, and i popped in Los Lonely Boys (the first CD, self titled) and it was GREAT! They shine and shine again, and the guitar is picked up beautifully. All the quick notes and pretty much everything was played through great. I'm sure after some breakin in they'll be a little warmer, as to me they sounded just a tad cold with the first initial run-through.

Next, the mids. Oh ****, they are sweet! SWEEET! I played Maroon 5's Sunday Morning, and the piano solo...Oh the piano! :eek: wow did it play it with authority. Every chord and note was played through and it felt like i was RIGHT next to the piano as he played it. Vocals cut straight through and everything was clear, nothing muddy or out of place at all. It was plenty warm (thanks to a little EQ on my part :up2somet: ) and it sounded VERY NICE!

Finally, the midbass. Dear lord. :yumyum: . It was amazing! After listening to my friends Alpine Type-S and my old Polk Momo MMC6500's, the rainbow's just...well..annihilated everything. In fact, i haven't heard such a nicer sounding midbass. I listened to Mario's "Let Me Love You Remix" w/ T.I, and man could you feel those beats. I could feel the air move and shake my shoes. In fact, before i put the tweeters in, they were just sitting on my door handle, and the midbass was so strong it knocked it off. It even shook the wires as it hit. It's pretty **** good! I played Akon's "Dont Matter" and man did that bassline PICK UP! Phew, hard hitting indeed! Lastly, if you have these, listen to Hoobastank's "Inside of You". holy CRAP! that bass drum just gets played to perfection! Bass drum and bass guitar are just...SO GOOD on these things! It really is indescribable! On the song "hip hop is dead" by nas, you don't need a sub at all! I mean they shake my mirrors on that song...great midbass. Great Speaker.

Theirs no reason at all anyone should think twice if they are thinking about purchasing these puppies! AMAZING! Rainbow FTMFW

tmoney
02-24-2007, 03:44 AM
great! just got my cmx yesterday, and im going to get them install first thing in the morning.

tez4life
02-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Very nice review. I have heard nothing but good things about the Rainbows. I always here about their amazing midbass, but I like midrange clarity as well.

Comparing them to the Momo's and how they destroyed them in almost everyway just ensured the deal, ill be ordering shortly!!!

siliconinja
02-24-2007, 04:04 AM
great review. not to steal your thread but if anyones looking for a set of slc's, i've got a BNIB set for sale in the classifieds section

PremierAudio
02-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Glad to see your enjoying them! They should treat you really well! Let me know if you have any questions or anything!

-Aaron

konechiwa
02-24-2007, 02:25 PM
yeah the momo's just can't hold up next to them. The tweeters are much brigher, it's less accurate, and the midrange just isn't up to snuff against the SLC's. Not to mention the crossover for the momo's is a beast in itself, it's absolutely massive!

Boy do they sure sound nice...i cannot wait to get my sub installed so that i can get the whole picture (80Hz is the lowest i can go now...i need a sub!)

LinxuS
02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Great review. I should be ordering mine within the next week sometime.

Getting the same exact model :) It should go nicely with my Q.

nebraskaz71
02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
dammit i need a set!

Schuey2002
02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
I already ordered mine. Now there is nothing to do but wait... :crying:

Awesome friggin' review, btw! http://smilies.complete180.com/thumbsup.gif

tez4life
02-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, Seeing as how they haven't really been broken in yet...I can't exactly comment on them fully. But, seeing as how they are installed 100%, i decided to make a little review, seeing as many people as of late have been asking about them. Pics will come later, as it is 11:30PM and I don't feel like going outside with my camera!

First off...The Highs. Oh yes, their awesome. Right off the bat i was simply stunned by it's clarity and clearness, yet softness as well. My old Polk Momo tweets were extremely harsh compared to them. They sound absolutely beautiful, and i popped in Los Lonely Boys (the first CD, self titled) and it was GREAT! They shine and shine again, and the guitar is picked up beautifully. All the quick notes and pretty much everything was played through great. I'm sure after some breakin in they'll be a little warmer, as to me they sounded just a tad cold with the first initial run-through.

Next, the mids. Oh ****, they are sweet! SWEEET! I played Maroon 5's Sunday Morning, and the piano solo...Oh the piano! :eek: wow did it play it with authority. Every chord and note was played through and it felt like i was RIGHT next to the piano as he played it. Vocals cut straight through and everything was clear, nothing muddy or out of place at all. It was plenty warm (thanks to a little EQ on my part :up2somet: ) and it sounded VERY NICE!

Finally, the midbass. Dear lord. :yumyum: . It was amazing! After listening to my friends Alpine Type-S and my old Polk Momo MMC6500's, the rainbow's just...well..annihilated everything. In fact, i haven't heard such a nicer sounding midbass. I listened to Mario's "Let Me Love You Remix" w/ T.I, and man could you feel those beats. I could feel the air move and shake my shoes. In fact, before i put the tweeters in, they were just sitting on my door handle, and the midbass was so strong it knocked it off. It even shook the wires as it hit. It's pretty **** good! I played Akon's "Dont Matter" and man did that bassline PICK UP! Phew, hard hitting indeed! Lastly, if you have these, listen to Hoobastank's "Inside of You". holy CRAP! that bass drum just gets played to perfection! Bass drum and bass guitar are just...SO GOOD on these things! It really is indescribable! On the song "hip hop is dead" by nas, you don't need a sub at all! I mean they shake my mirrors on that song...great midbass. Great Speaker.

Theirs no reason at all anyone should think twice if they are thinking about purchasing these puppies! AMAZING! Rainbow FTMFW

What are you powering them with? Just curious.

konechiwa
02-25-2007, 04:00 AM
well, it's in the signature...but it's a profile 400SX amp. got it for 45 dollars AUTHORIZED from profile. :)

tez4life
02-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry didnt notice that till now lol. I have a Orion 4002 (100w x 2 at 4ohm) and I wanted to get a set of the SLC 265, but was not sure that I had enough to power them correctly.

Seems like everybody that has them is feeding them at least 150w, just wanted to make sure that I could still get full performance from them with my amp.

Nice comps and excellent review!!

jwool15
02-25-2007, 04:50 PM
great review. not to steal your thread but if anyones looking for a set of slc's, i've got a BNIB set for sale in the classifieds section

I might have to take you up on em. Can you shoot me an email at [email protected]
Thanks

Zxcvtypo
02-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Have you heard any Germaniums? If so, how would you say these compare to them?

95bat
02-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry didnt notice that till now lol. I have a Orion 4002 (100w x 2 at 4ohm) and I wanted to get a set of the SLC 265, but was not sure that I had enough to power them correctly.

Seems like everybody that has them is feeding them at least 150w, just wanted to make sure that I could still get full performance from them with my amp.

Nice comps and excellent review!!

I have the SLC 165 Kicks (no tweets) powered by a 300/4 and I actually have to gain turned down... only feeding them about 60ish watts and they get plenty loud enough for me lol. I wouldn't worry about underpowering them with 100 watts.

konechiwa
02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
yeah actually if you check rainbow's site, the woofer's rms is 100 alone.

LBC99
02-26-2007, 01:59 AM
you guys **** for making me want to spend more money :laugh:

I was thinking of upgrading my cdt ef-61cf's with some crystals, but now I'm not so sure.

How much are these Rainbow's anyways???

Schuey2002
02-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Mine just arrived today. They will go in my doors as soon as I whip up some new baffles... :naughty:

chibahawk
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
i just installed this exact same set last week. still carrying my jaw on the floor with me. these just sound so goddam good and i have yet to deaden my doors. cant wait to do a better install job and get my sub back in.

im floored by these speakers.

LBC99
02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
how much for the rainbow's????

DejaWiz
02-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Nice done with your review!

how much for the rainbow's????

http://premier-audio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=2

PM PremierAudio on here and ask him directly.

Question - are the 265Kick's bi-ampable through the included passives?

AcesHigh
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Do they come with grills?

bjboertje
02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
yes to the post above, no to the one above that.

PremierAudio
02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
The SLCs are not Bi ample able with the included crossover...The Germaniums are though :veryhapp:

PM me for prices

Schuey2002
02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Do they come with grills?
FWIW, the set of W165 mids that I just got from Don did not come with grilles..

Also, these SLC 265 midbasses are much beefier than they appear in the pics that you see on the web....

AcesHigh
02-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I was looking into some focal 165v2 's. Was going to get a pretty good deal on them. These Rainbow's have peeked my interest. I don't think I could swing the 265 kicks but the SLC 265's look nice too.

I guess I need to PM PremierAudio:)

konechiwa
02-27-2007, 11:37 PM
FWIW, the set of W165 mids that I just got from Don did not come with grilles..

Also, these SLC 265 midbasses are much beefier than they appear in the pics that you see on the web....

their beefy, but not massively beefy...In fact, i was surprised that they have so much midbass...their not huge...but they sure sound like it! Mine should be done tommarow after so long (my sub will also be installed) I CANNOT WAIT!

///M5
02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Where are they mounted? What did you use for mounting hardware? How much deadening? Any pics yet?

DejaWiz
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
The SLCs are not Bi ample able with the included crossover...The Germaniums are though :veryhapp:

PM me for prices

Oooh. Those are def going to be out of my price range. :crap:

konechiwa
02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Where are they mounted? What did you use for mounting hardware? How much deadening? Any pics yet?

Mounted in my door
Mounting hardware? MDF and screws i guess....not to sure on what you mean
Deadened is a yes, with deadener and clay around the mdf baffles for a better sealing. Also i put some thick foamy tape behind the speaker, don't know if it would change the sound at all like a deflex pad or foam but i tried it.

crossovers are mounted in the doors too. I'm putting the finishing touches on it today, and i'll get some pictures in a couple of hours.

///M5
03-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Right on. Can't wait to see pics!